I'm Gay | Kristy McNichol | News

BigGayDeal.com

Kristy McNichol: I'm a Lesbian

Mcnichol

Kristy McNichol, best known for her roles on Family and Empty Nest, has come out of the closet 20 years after leaving acting because she is tired of seeing kids bullied about their sexuality, People reports:

Kristy_mcnicholMcNichol, 49, who has lived with her partner Martie Allen, also 49, for the past two decades, decided to make a statement about her sexuality and share this photo because she is "approaching 50" and wants to "be open about who I am."

She "is very sad about kids being bullied," her publicist Jeff Ballard tells PEOPLE. "She hopes that coming out can help kids who need support. She would like to help others who feel different."

(h/t Boy Culture)

Comments

1. Finally!!! I knew she was 'just like me' when I saw her in an ABC After School Special in the early 70's... a 'tomboy', of course :D

Posted by: McKenna | Jan 7, 2012 7:20:17 AM

2. Well now THERE'S a shocker!

Next thing I know you're gonna try and tell me Wayland Flowers of Wayland and Madame was light in the loafers!

Seriously though, a lot of people grew up watching her on TV and every little bit helps. But it's not exactly news. Remember the 1980 movie Little Darlings where she and Tatum O'Neal were girls at summer camp competing to see who could lose their virginity (to a guy) first? Even back then people were saying "Kristy McNichol chasing after GUYS?! Please. Suspension of disbelief only goes so far!"

Posted by: Caliban | Jan 7, 2012 8:14:32 AM

3. Firstly, I'm so happy for Kristy. She's always been one of my favorite actresses and she is sorely missed on the small and big screen.

Secondly, the snark of most of the comments here is percisely why most public people hesitate to come out. While Kristy's coming out might be a "duh" moment for you people, it is not a "duh" moment for her. It is a highly commendable act (at any point in a public person's career) and deserves respect, not snide, catty comments.

This woman is a multi-Emmy winner, a Golden Globe winner, and was a true Teen Idol in her day. She gave some great performances during her career (as mentioned by some of you: Summer of my German Soilder, White Dog, and her performances as "Buddy" on Family), and then battled bipolar disease, which ultimately lead to her decision to step out of the spotlight and out of her acting career.

And it is the fact that Kristy has, by choice, not been in the public eye for over 20 years that makes her stepping into the light to make this announcement a "big deal" to many of us. I for one applaud and thank her and wish her much love and happiness.

Posted by: jefflrich | Jan 7, 2012 8:37:49 AM

4. I am her age and watched her growing up. I knew back then she was a little "tomboy". I just figured whe was out already.

Posted by: Stephen Q | Jan 7, 2012 8:54:35 AM

5. PS

Oh yeah David E

White Dog

I remember that movie , also a very good Movie

K

Her 2 best movies

-White Dog

-Blinded by the Light

& Empty Nest was funny

Posted by: say what | Jan 7, 2012 9:55:07 AM

6. You are such a fraud. We would see you at the the "O' and Peanuts with Ina, everyone knew you were gay...Now you decide to come out??? Go back to your safe life, we have no need of you.

Posted by: MJ | Jan 7, 2012 10:02:39 AM

7. I worked with Kristy 20 years ago and she was a great person and probably the most naturally gifted actress I've ever known. She never hid she was gay then, had the same girlfriend (there's something to celebrate...20 years together with the same person. She should be celebrated!)

Loved her then, still love her. You go, Kristy!

Posted by: Bart | Jan 7, 2012 10:21:00 AM

8. I agree with a few others...VERY good for you Kristy, I truly believe coming out is the healthiest thing you can do for yourself...but sweetie I've followed your career from the beginning (and quite honestly really miss your absence from Hollywood)and knew you were a lesbian from a very early age.

Oh, PLEASE get back into acting! You were fantastic! Much love AND happiness!

Posted by: James | Jan 7, 2012 10:33:05 AM

9. Old news, but brave none the less. Funny thing, I was watching my fave film, "Only When I Laugh" when I spotted this story. She's a brilliant and gifted actress. I can only hope we will see her again on TV or in films. She would make a great team with Streep!

Posted by: FagZilla360 | Jan 7, 2012 10:33:52 AM

10. MJ,

What a bitter, lonely person you must be. Why would you say such negative things about an extremely nice person who has the courage to publicly come out?!

Coming out publicly is such a personal decision that needs to be done on one's own time and when THEY feel they are ready to do so.

Go get a life and do something constructive.
    If not, stay over at Queerty with bitter, nasty "Tank", he's more your caliber.

Posted by: Paul | Jan 7, 2012 10:48:27 AM

11. And, in other news today, we find that water is wicked wet.
    I am glad she is taking a stand to fight bullying. That she has only now come out did genuinely surprise me, I never knew she was 'in'.

Posted by: enough already | Jan 7, 2012 10:57:42 AM

12. @mj
    I completely disagree with you. It doesn't matter if people thought she was gay or not, but we do need her and every other public figure who is gay to come out!

The more the general public sees out-and-proud gay people the better. The public will start to understand that gay people are normal and we are your friends, your family members and no, the sky did not fall.

Posted by: DJ | Jan 7, 2012 11:13:15 AM

13. Well, thanks for waiting until you are COMPLETELY irrelevant!

Posted by: AJ | Jan 7, 2012 11:26:45 AM

14. Well, I guess because this is a gay site, Towleroad doesn't realize that she's also "best known" perhaps even "most known" by a lot of straight guys who were born in the 1960's for her role in "Little Foxes."

Posted by: Cinesnatch | Jan 7, 2012 12:19:50 PM

15. How good to hear that she has had a strong and long standing relationship all this time. Her journey as been rich and gifted one. I could only wish her the best. Although, it is not any surprise to me; because I too remember her back in the late 70's at the Odessey and Peanuts. It does raise a eyebrow that others might still be around that also remember those times and circumstances. That they are STILL nasty, mean, judgmental bitches, unfortunately, does not surprise me in the least.

Posted by: Booka | Jan 7, 2012 1:29:37 PM

16. I mean Little Darlings.

Posted by: Cinesnatch | Jan 7, 2012 4:21:54 PM

17. Kristy McNichol was always cute, but her brother Jimmy was even cuter. Any report he might be gay?

Posted by: Russell | Jan 7, 2012 4:30:18 PM

18. Congrats to 'Buddy'! She's still beautiful, and that photo indeed shows her true happiness.

And very few people can say they guested on TWO TV specials with the late Karen Carpenter. :)

Posted by: Bob Finholm | Jan 7, 2012 9:57:52 PM

19. Gay activist and scientist Simon LeVay said: "It's important to stress what I didn't find. I did not prove that homosexuality is genetic, or find a genetic cause for being gay. I didn't show that gay men are born that way, the most common mistake people make in interpreting my work. Nor did I locate a gay center in the brain." "Gay activism was clearly the force that propelled the APA to declassify homosexuality".

Posted by: truelite | Jan 7, 2012 11:19:39 PM

20. Lesbian activist Camille Paglia said: "Homosexuality is not 'normal.' On the contrary it is a challenge to the norm...Nature exists whether academics like it or not. And in nature, procreation is the single relentless rule. That is the norm. Our sexual bodies were designed for reproduction...No one is born gay. The idea is ridiculous..."

Lesbian activist and biologist Dr. Anne Fausto-Sterling, referring to the "born gay" argument, said: "It provides a legal argument that is, at the moment actually having some sway in court. For me, it's a very shaky place. It's bad science and bad politics."

Posted by: truelite | Jan 7, 2012 11:20:20 PM

21. Being supportive of the basic civil rights of gays and lesbians does not require a belief in the false notion that people are born gay.

They are not. Homosexuality is caused by emotional trauma - from childhood neglect, abuse, or any number of other traumatic causes.

If we love someone, we want to see them healed from the trauma, not married.

In the Netherlands where gay marriage has been accepted for quite awhile now, has seen no decrease in gay suicide - in fact, some studies show an increase.

If you do not promote healing and choose to ignore it for your own selfish reasons, their blood is on your hands.

Posted by: truelite | Jan 7, 2012 11:23:29 PM

22. Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA 2009)

"One half of the victims...often linked their homosexuality to their sexual victimization experiences."

"The age at the time of the molestation ranged from 4 to 16 with a mean age of 10."

Posted by: truelite | Jan 7, 2012 11:24:34 PM

23. You know, I always knew there was something I liked about her. It must have been the "Tomboy" in her that was so appealing. I was nuts about her just like I was nuts about Sara Gilbert from Roseanne. Anyway, she looks great at nearly 50...

Posted by: Bill Michael | Jan 8, 2012 12:24:40 AM

24. http://adf.ly/2LQnU
    Classical and Operant Conditioning

Posted by: alya | Jan 8, 2012 3:37:13 AM

25. Thank you Kristy. The more people who are out the harder it becomes for the bigots to demonize us gay folks.

Posted by: jack | Jan 8, 2012 3:39:24 AM