Lady Gaga | News | Tim Tebow

Lady Gaga Sees 'a Champion' in Evangelical Quarterback Tim Tebow

Gaga_tebow

Lady Gaga called Tim Tebow a "champion" last night after last night's OT victory over the Steelers. Said Gaga on Twitter: "Giants fan but wow. #Tebow Thats what the f**k a champion looks like."

An athlete, perhaps. But a champion? Most "little monsters" would probably beg to differ...

Last year about this time, you may recall, Tebow was embroiled in controversy over his participation in a Super Bowl ad for the virulently anti-gay, anti-choice Evangelical group Focus on the Family.

The Denver Broncos flat-out rejected a petition in December to create an "It Gets Better" video.

Tebow has been muzzled by his publicist from answering any questions about same-sex marriage, though he is free to pray on the field and go on about his love for Jesus.

Lady Gaga will condemn the bullying that leads to LGBT suicides, but does she realize that Tim Tebow and his evangelical ilk at Focus on the Family are part of that problem?

Comments

1. Thank you, Andy, for responding in-line. I thought it was extremely interesting that you posted this for a number of reasons, but I find it also extremely disheartening that people are again just resorting to the same old tired derailing tactics that they go to whenever they feel challenged.

The way I see it, Lady Gaga has her monsters, many of whom are young and impressionable LGBT folk. Some of those folk are probably more than aware of Tebow's teaming with Focus on the Family, his stances on abortion and marriage equality, and what Focus on the Family actually stands for in the most explicit of terms.

So, if I were on of those little monsters and I saw my hero tweet something like that about a person who morally opposes my right to reproductive autonomy and/or legal equality as an LGBT individual, I would probably feel a little slighted (okay, probably more than a LITTLE slighted. Probably a lot).

Is it that hard for others to understand this? Everyone was cooing over Gaga's previous campaigning to end bullying and shouting praises because Born This Way was a new LGBT empowering anthem, but when someone calls Ms. Germanotta on something a little ironic, then all of a sudden we have to have abstract conversations about how we are only talking about Tebow as an athlete and we remove all context, bending over backwards to preemptively dismiss any conversation.

That is some derailing BS, and this stuff does NOT happen in a vacuum.

Posted by: Jesus | Jan 9, 2012 12:58:26 PM

2. If I were one of those little monsters*

definitely not on them lol

Posted by: Jesus | Jan 9, 2012 12:59:19 PM

3. No one is perfect. Little Monsters: it's time to educate Lady Gaga!

Posted by: FunMe | Jan 9, 2012 1:10:41 PM

4. I'm with you, Andy. If Tebow was doing ads for the KKK I kind of doubt that Jay Z would be tweeting about what a hero he was....

Posted by: nope | Jan 9, 2012 1:13:17 PM

5. Lady Gaga = airhead publicity whore and no-talent ego tripper who thinks her sh*t doesn't stink. It does, plenty.

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | Jan 9, 2012 1:13:50 PM

6. Tebow has never expressed his opinions on marriage equality, so no, that is not a factor in why people should be angry. The assumption that he's anti-gay is probably correct, but it's just an assumption.

As for his personal opinions on abortion... I doubt that's why people are upset. And given his history and personal experience with abortion, can't say I blame him for his viewpoint. Do I agree with it? Certainly not, but people being pro-life or pro-choice has never been a dealbreaker for me. I can respect both points of view within reason.

Posted by: BEAHBEAH | Jan 9, 2012 1:14:20 PM

7. Was she talking about his football or his views on Gays? #SlowItDown

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Jan 9, 2012 1:18:43 PM

8. @Howard: I'm pretty sure that your memory on this is incorrect. Tebow and his mother did do a spot reminding pregnant women to think about the fact his mother was advised to abort him. He wanted them to keep their babies. It was paid for by FOTF, and the logo at the end said so.
    While FOTF is a verifiable hate group, the ad itself had nothing to do with their hateful views. Would he have done the same ad if sponsored by another hate group such as the Klan or even an anti-Christian group if they'd let him have their say? I fully disagree with anyone attaching his name to a hate group, but it is possible that he just wants his own message to get out and, arguably stupidly, doesn't consider or even know what else they stand for.
    Maybe his publicist doesn't want him speaking about gays in public because he's anti-gay and he would alienate any fair-minded people who are his fans. But maybe his publicist's directive is because he is pro-equality and that would be perceived negatively by too many of the religious fanatics who revere him. Maybe he's gay and his publicist doesn't want him to put himself in the risky position of being the first NFL player out before retiring.

As long as he has still said nothing unfriendly to gay people, we should be trying to educate him on the hurt and lies that FOTF has perpetuated, rather than alienating him in general because of the company he keeps.

@"Jesus": I don't believe he's made any public statement about where he stands on marriage equality one way or another, and I'm not aware of his having opposed anyone's reproductive rights, either.

Posted by: Gregv | Jan 9, 2012 1:21:20 PM

9. Since Gaga makes such a point out of acceptance of all people, especially gays and others who are considered freaks by much of society, I DO think she has a responsibility to be aware of Tebow's anti-gay beliefs. Let's see if she has a follow-up comment.

Posted by: Jack M | Jan 9, 2012 1:24:06 PM

10. Refusing to admit that some of our adversaries are extraordinarily talented is a huge mistake. It leads to underestimating them and, we seem like idiots to the general public for simply denying obvious facts. Talent and character are completely different things - it's unjust but it's true.

And let's not forget that the same sort of logical fallacy has been used against us: "I believe homosexuality is immoral, so homosexuals must also be incapable of being good teachers, soldiers, parents...etc. etc." It's a mark of childlike stupidity: people I dislike do bad jobs. Pretty mushrooms can't be poisonous. People who are beautiful are nice.

I have a feeling Gaga understands because fundies see her as some kind of fallen skank and then assume that she can't possibly be talented. We don't have to like the Tebow but saying he doesn't have championship potential is sort of like declaring that Adolf Hitler was a terrible public speaker.

Posted by: Yeek | Jan 9, 2012 1:24:40 PM

11. This is just silly. As a die hard Pittsburgh Steelers fan, and an openly gay man, I have no sympathy for Tebow. But give the quarterback some credit -- he led his team to victory.

It seriously discredits the movement for equality when we try to manufacture ways to ding our opponents. Criticize Tebow for the Focus on the Family ad. But to pretend like he's not a "champion" in football after last night's game? That makes our side look petty and vindictive, and likely doesn't win many folks to the pro-equality side.

Posted by: bfesnter | Jan 9, 2012 1:28:20 PM

12. As someone who has the misfortune of working with her management company, I will tell you Gaga and the people around her are your usual rock'n'roll corporate ilk. The LGBT community needs to understand this woman is a fake, a rich girl who has created this lie about herself in order to sell records and steal the allowances of 12 year old lonely teenagers or clueless middle aged gays or housewives. Gaga is presently dating an ex Ivy League second tier actor -- and that is the type she goes for. Lady Xerox couldn't care less about her gays -- her charities are front organizations for her to off shore her money. So I am not surprised she made this remark about Tebow. It proves she is about as knowledgable on issues relating to the LGBT community that her PR agents inform her about. So her tweet - if from her - probably reveals a lot about the real Gaga. And Little Monsters, what it means is that your Queen is a football watching straight girl who watches and enjoys the sport of bullies, jocks and cheerleaders. Proving she has nothing in common with you other then the money she banks from your cultish, ridiculous worship of her.

Posted by: velocifero | Jan 9, 2012 1:30:12 PM

13. Right, we believe everything you say, anonymous internet poster.

Posted by: endo | Jan 9, 2012 1:44:59 PM

14. Its ok gaga. My patriots will crush tebow again.

Posted by: Sam | Jan 9, 2012 2:15:12 PM

15. endo, i agree: i'm totally shocked gaga pays attention to football.

i believe this was an honest mistake on gaga's part & she may even apologize soon on twitter. just like she apologized a few mos back for using the word "retarded" as a pejorative.

she's still My Queen!

Posted by: redball | Jan 9, 2012 2:15:36 PM

16. I think the irony is that Andy has defended Tim in the past form gay rumors (even while reporting on them). I tend to see Tim as a man-child who's a bit naive. Lady Gaga always seems uncomfortable in her own skin. The two could not be more different.

Posted by: anon | Jan 9, 2012 2:26:51 PM

17. To those of you who state it's only football and say 'chill out', etc., is this what you woud tell the family and friends of gay kids who killed themselves? Can you really not make the connection of Tebow fans idolizing him, wanting to be like him, and therefore believing whatever he believes in? You really think it's far-fetched that some fan won't Google him and find his Superbowl ad for Focus on the Family and then go on to Google Focus on the Family and then run into Wikipedia's description of FotF's view on LGBTs : "Focus on the Family works to preserve its interpretation of the biblical ideals of marriage and parenthood, and therefore the organization takes a strong stance against LGBT rights and same-sex marriage"?
    Seriously, it is not just someone putting on their tinfoil hat when criticizing Gaga for calling Tebow a 'champion'. Gaga of all people should know the power of endorsement and association. Some people become role models whether they like it or not. This is reality, everything is connected and nothing is too small, especially when the LGBT community is still on such fragile terrain. Yes, stay complacent and relaxed while the rest of us defend your rights.

Posted by: Ana B. | Jan 9, 2012 2:34:55 PM

18. Oh, and btw, thank you Andy for posting this, I was very surprised at the comments ... the statistics are quite enlightening!

Posted by: Ana B. | Jan 9, 2012 2:37:18 PM

19. Lady Gaga is a fake and has always been a fake.

Posted by: jason | Jan 9, 2012 2:51:22 PM

20. This is another Gaga attempt at staying relevent in today's society, and not being typcast into just being a gay icon!

Posted by: BOB | Jan 9, 2012 2:54:30 PM

21. I think our progress will be limited, or at least slowed, if we reject folks who are religious simply because some religious folks reject us. Sure, Tim Tebow is likely personally anti-marriage equality, but he's not speaking out against marrigage equality. He can use his fame to work against marrigage equality, but he doesn't. If his fans perceive us attacking Tebow just because he's religious and doesn't even speak about marriage equality, they may view us as the intolerant ones.

I know I barely made sense, but have to get back to work.

Posted by: Guest | Jan 9, 2012 3:02:33 PM

22. But the views of FOTF and by extension, Tebow, are decidedly anti-woman. As a gay man, I care about the rights of women... I hope that women care about my rights as a gay man. We are generally oppressed by the same white men who run the show.

Posted by: nope | Jan 9, 2012 4:28:24 PM

23. Tebow has a right to pray all he wants- and yes he is fine piece of jock beef- perhaps that is what Gaga was referring to...

Posted by: jaragon | Jan 9, 2012 5:12:34 PM

24. It has been amazing to me to see how many gay guys are reading so much into a simple tweet. I agree with many comments on here: you can compliment a person on their talents without siding with their every opinion and decision in life. Over sensitive (and wildly insane) by a long shot!

Posted by: JPW | Jan 9, 2012 5:37:14 PM

25. Sorry, "99%", but no argument against same-sex marriage holds water upon close inspection.

They all ultimately lead to either (selectively) following an Iron Age book or the "a man and an animal" argument.

Posted by: Marshal | Jan 9, 2012 5:40:19 PM