Madonna | News

BigGayDeal.com

Madonna Discusses W.E., Family, the Super Bowl, Her Younger Man, Lady Gaga in ABC News Interview: VIDEO

Madonna

The first parts of Cynthia McFadden's interview with Madonna aired last night on Nightline, in which she talks about her upcoming Super Bowl performance, Lourdes, and her 24-year-old boyfriend Brahim Zaibat.

Said Madonna of Zaibat: "I didn't choose to, you know, I didn't, like, write down on a piece of paper I'm now going to have a relationship with a younger man. That's just what happened. You see, that's the romantic in me. I just met someone that I cared for, and this happened to be his age...I am the easy one [in the relationship]. I go home and wash my face and put on my sweatpants and say 'please rub my feet,' and he says, 'No, you rub my feet.'"

Watch the clips and a 'Lady Gaga' question preview, AFTER THE JUMP...

More of the interview is coming on tonight's 20/20, according to McFadden.

In related news, Newsweek's Jacob Bernstein has an upcoming interview with Madonna and The Daily Beast teased part of it yesterday.

Senior reporter Jacob Bernstein hung out with Madonna for an upcoming piece in the January 30th issue of Newsweek, and got her thoughts on Lady Gaga’s ‘Born This Way.’

I thought, this is a wonderful way to redo my song (‘Express Yourself’). I mean, I recognized the chord changes. I thought it was…interesting.

And here is a preview of tonight's interview, in which she is asked abou Lady Gaga:

More on this morning's GMA segment:

Comments

1. This self-involved woman will never "care for" any man.....which is undoubtedly what most of her gay male fans like most about her, sad to say.

Posted by: Rick | Jan 13, 2012 11:32:57 AM

2. 2012 is shaping up to be Madonna's greatest year!
    =)

Posted by: George F | Jan 13, 2012 11:40:51 AM

3. Dear Madonna,

You were one of the greatest hacks of all time. You plundered and pillaged other people's images, particularly Marilyn Monroe. In fact, you based almost one entire musical phase on Marilyn's image.

Lets not also forget the AutoTune and alleged miming which you used in your songs and stage act. You were basically fake in much of what you did.

I see, also, that your features are getting sharper as you age. You look like Cruella De Ville's half-sister from Hound Town.

Love, Jason

Posted by: jason | Jan 13, 2012 11:41:18 AM

4. Dear Madonna, I've loved your music since I was a wee young gay lad. Ray of Light hit my ears at age 16 and inspired me to Come Out. Thank you for making music that gave me the strength and courage to Live Out Loud, in a world that still seethes with anti-gay prejudice. It speaks volumes that the gay males who intentionally make a point of not listening to your music not only tend to Come Out years, even decades, after your fans do ....but even more never actually FULLY Come Out. They still live with one foot firmly in the Closet. it's a shame, really. Clearly their dislike of you and your music hasn't helped them one bit. If only they'd take your music for a spin perhaps they could finally be empowered to stop living cowardly lies instead of authentic lives.

Oh, well, thanks for inspiring me to be myself.

Love, Ray :D

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jan 13, 2012 11:48:28 AM

5. she had nothing to do with me coming out

holding my breath until tonite's interview!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: h | Jan 13, 2012 11:50:30 AM

6. Of course she recognized the chord progression and arrangement she "borrowed" them herself from The Staples Singers...so choke on those hydrangea Vadge.

Posted by: TADPOLICUS WEX | Jan 13, 2012 12:17:31 PM

7. The Staple Singers' "Respect Yourself". Sound familiar, Madge?

Posted by: Dxx | Jan 13, 2012 12:25:19 PM

8. Instead of all the Gaga nonsense I wish they asked her why she decided to chose to work with Nicki Minaj an artist who has HOMOPHOBIC lyrics (but now she is backpedaling to get the gay dollar)? Let's be honest without the gay community she would not have a career. I would also ask her what she has done for the LGBT community that continues to support her in the last couple of years. Regardless of how you feel about Gaga she has been a very vocal artist fighting for gay rights and has vowed to never work with any artist that has homophobic lyrics. I would also ask her where her "it gets better video is and why when she chose to speak out about bulling on the Ellen show why she would not say gay or LGBT and just mentioned "all children" when it was LGBT youth that were the kids being bullied and killing themselves. I have been a long time Madonna fan but I will never buy her new album that features an artist that has homophobic lyrics.

Posted by: Harry Joseph | Jan 13, 2012 12:28:28 PM

9. The Queen has spoken. Madonna rules!

Posted by: Loyal Subject | Jan 13, 2012 12:28:53 PM

10. I love Madonna threads because they enable Rick/Jason to manifest both of his personalities. It's every bit as entertaining as watching Gollum argue with himself in The Two Towers. Preeeeeeecious.

Posted by: endo | Jan 13, 2012 12:34:15 PM

11. Harry Joseph...... homophobic lyrics? are you referring to the Eminem rap in "roman's revenge", wherein he also raps about violence against women, physical assault and rape and thus is clearly, to those with a functioning brain, acting a role as a reprehensible sociopath in the song?

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jan 13, 2012 12:43:41 PM

12. I just wish her response to all questions re: Lady Gaga was, "Who?"

While I have no doubt she has had work done, I have to say, it's pretty damn good work. She looks fantastic.

Posted by: MadgeFan | Jan 13, 2012 12:46:07 PM

13. Is it all the face-lifts or is she getting more mellow? In this video she looks and sounds like a cross between Sarah Jessica Parker and Ellen Degeneres.

I agree with Harry Joseph, Madonna always had a huge and loyal gay following but she never publicly advocated anything remotely connected with the struggles gay people face. In fact, I suspect that on a personal level she is not the gay-friendliest of persons.

Posted by: ct | Jan 13, 2012 12:49:46 PM

14. I love Madonna's c*nty remark about Born This Way. Full disclosure - yes I'm aware of the Staple Singers' song, isn't everyone? I just love Madonna when she's being her true c*nty self.

As for the "what has she done for us lately" remarks I always hear...I never got that argument against her or any other artist. To me, you should enjoy an artist's music and not judge your appreciation based on their personal life or beliefs. Art is different to me in that way. I always use James Brown as an example - great music, presumably awful person. But in the end, all that matters is the music. He was an entertainer. She's an entertainer. If their music makes you feel good and you enjoy it, then enjoy it. You shouldn't be made to feel bad about something you listen to just because it hasn't passed the supposed gay litmus test.

I get boycotting Chick-Fil-A and Target, you can get a chicken sandwich or a lamp at other places, but I don't think the same applies to music. Just enjoy the music you listen to, it's not like you have to pay for it these days anyway! The only thing you would have to boycott is their concerts and merchandise, if that's what makes you feel better.

Posted by: Christian | Jan 13, 2012 12:53:27 PM

15. @ christian

I did enjoy her music at many stages of her career. But it does disappoint me that she hasn't been as vocal about gay rights (I don't think she has ever pronounced these two words together, "gay rights") as she has been, say, about George Bush or the Vatican. She hasn't even properly acknowledged her huge gay following apart from a couple of very stingy remarks in a couple of shoddy interviews.

Being much more business-savvy than Gaga, perhaps she understands that it is never wise for the career of a mass pop artist to completely identify with "the gays". Perhaps Gaga will discover that the hard way, even though she is much more talented as a singer/songwriter than Madonna ever was.

Posted by: ct | Jan 13, 2012 1:09:45 PM

16. as someone who has grown up with Madonna, I prefer Gaga; she actually has some musical talent

Posted by: Grover Underwood | Jan 13, 2012 1:55:12 PM

17. Please join the Monsters Against Madonna Campaign

helpmothermonster dot blogspot dot com

Posted by: Erika | Jan 13, 2012 2:16:23 PM

18. "In fact, I suspect that on a personal level she is not the gay-friendliest of persons"

Most "divas" aren't. Gloria Gaynor and Donna Summer were/are outright homophobes. Cher threw her daughter out of the house and sent her to therapy when she found out she was a lesbian (or whatever).....and said "I just don't get it" when asked about the diva phenomenon in an interview. Streisand always seems to smirk when the fact of her "gay following" is brought up in interviews and she dissed Larry Kramer openly over the movie rights to The Normal Heart.....and Gaga just tweeted her adoration of hyper-Evangelical (albeit closeted gay guy) Tim Tebow.

You see, in reality, the diva phenomenon just consists of some gay men projecting themselves onto b!tchy straight women and living vicariously through them, IMAGINING they have some kind of bond with them or common interest and that somehow these women "represent" them, when, in reality, they don't.....

And, by the way, Christian, that should answer your point about why it is not "just about the music" with these women and most of their gay male fans.....

Posted by: Rick | Jan 13, 2012 3:21:38 PM

19. And hating Divas still hasn't helped Rick get over the fact that his father hates him being his son.

maybe a little diva would helped those insecurities, sugar. :D

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jan 13, 2012 3:26:59 PM

20. Oh Rick...Puh-lease! Chastity was in college when Cher told her to "get out" and she was back in the apt a few weeks later after they hashed things out. Chaz has been going to therapy for YEARS for his "issues" (read any of his books) and it's not because it was mandated by Cher...lol.

Btw: My love for certain female performers has diddly to do with them being "gay icons". I would be a fan of Cher's or Madonna's regardless of their feeelings on the gay community baring discrimination. I just dont really care one way or the other.

Posted by: Tagg63 | Jan 13, 2012 3:45:18 PM

21. Good grief, some of you have NO memory or sense of history.

Madonna was a HUGE advocate for the gays in the 80s, 90s.
    She's just not as vocal about it, and other things, as she was then because, hmmm, let's see, she's got 4 kids and a bunch of other stuff going on. Just as many of us shift into lighter activism as we age.

*digital eye roll*

Posted by: Ben | Jan 13, 2012 4:16:26 PM

22. Ben is right - Madonna contributed greatly to many gay causes. The negative energy some spew over pop stars is insane!

Looking forward to the album.

Posted by: Tonic | Jan 13, 2012 5:30:54 PM

23. it's just so glaringly clear - the gay men who can't stop talking about how much they can't stand Madonna/Gaga/Cher clearly haven't in any way benefited from their dislikes...i mean, they're still cripplingly insecure about being gay.

you hate madonna? congrats. and hating her hasn't helped you get over your insecurities about being Openly Gay nor has it helped your dad in getting over his resentment at having to call you Son.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jan 13, 2012 5:55:50 PM

24. I used to really love Madonna and her music. But then she evolved into a boring person. I mean even during the bush years, she sorta tried to be fierce with some anti-war songs, but she was rather tame as she appeared afraid to say anything anti-bush.

As far as gay rights, other than the AIDS Dance-A-Thon and maybe a few other things, Lady Gaga has done a lot for gay equality and has put herself on the line more than Madonna.

Madonna doesn't seem to me to be happy with herself, and I would think the later years would have allowed her to be more flexible with issues, but I guess her control issues continue to rob her of true happiness. Perhaps having a younger lover helps her to control?

What makes me no longer like Madonna is what Dlisted said: her "pretentiouscuntanese".

Remember, just because we're gay doesn't mean I or anyone else still has to like Madonna.

Peace out!

Posted by: FunMe | Jan 13, 2012 6:35:18 PM

25. PS But I will say this: her face has now settled nicely and with that blue dress she looks really good. There I said it.

Posted by: FunMe | Jan 13, 2012 6:38:32 PM