Australia | Gay Marriage | Margaret Court | News | Tennis

Margaret Court Says Protests Won't Keep Her from Australian Open

Margaret Court, the Grand Slam tennis pro-turned Evangelical minister, who has been speaking her opposition to marriage equality in the last few weeks, says threats of a protest at the Australian Open won't keep her from attending, The Australian reports:

Court"I have always been a champion and always loved what I do and love tennis. I think it is very sad they can bring it into that. It is hard that they can voice their opinions but I am not allowed to voice my opinion. There is something wrong somewhere.

"We live in a free society and I stand up for families between a husband and a wife. I won't ever back down on that."

Said Court about gay people in December:

"To dismantle this sole definition of marriage and try to legitimise what God calls abominable sexual practices that include sodomy, reveals our ignorance as to the ills that come when society is forced to accept law that violates their very own God-given nature of what is right and what is wrong."

After anger from fellow tennis players Billie Jean King and Martina Navratilova and threats of a protest by LGBT rights groups at this month's Australian Open, Court says "I don’t hate homosexual people" but stands by her remarks.

Court added: "I think I have a right, being a minister of the gospel, to say what it says from a scriptural side. I have been married for 44 years this year and, to me, marriage is something very special, wonderful, ordained by God. I look at the children of our next generation and think of the problems they are having in America with all this -- we don't need it in our nation."

Comments

1. "I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent." 1 Tim 2:12.

The Gospel: take it all or leave it all, Margaret. And STFU.

Posted by: Paul | Jan 11, 2012 12:26:07 PM

2. Superficial of me, I know, but I still think that she looks like a Muppet, and it's strange to hear religious bigotry coming from a Muppet.

Posted by: Demian | Jan 11, 2012 12:27:25 PM

3. There is nothing more frightening than a zealot. They are closed-minded and unteachable so we shouldn't waste much time on them. Unfortunately, this one is a bigoted, homophobic, religious zealot - perhaps the worst kind.

Posted by: MikeBoston | Jan 11, 2012 12:30:35 PM

4. Her smug face deserves a massive slap.

Posted by: Paul R | Jan 11, 2012 12:31:08 PM

5. What is it with Christians who want the right to say whatever they want. But don't want other people to have the right to say that they're full of crap? Freedom of speech is a two way street. You can say what you want...and I can say...you're a bigot for saying it!

This is NOT a difficult concept, Margaret.

Posted by: Taylor | Jan 11, 2012 12:31:15 PM

6. Margaret, what do you mean you're not allowed to voice your opinion? I know what your opinion is precisely because you were allowed to voice it. And we're voicing ours a a response. See how that works? Sorry Margaret, if you detonate a stink bomb, we're going to make a face.

Posted by: James in Hollywood | Jan 11, 2012 12:37:49 PM

7. I think she's just still bitter she didn't get any lesbian locker-room lovin' during her racket swinging days.

Posted by: Brian | Jan 11, 2012 12:42:17 PM

8. She'll probably get so much flak at the Open she will have to go back into hiding, at least I hope so.

She's a "minister of the gospel?" How much did that cost?

Posted by: Jack M | Jan 11, 2012 1:06:25 PM

9. On her blog, Margaret Court responds to a gay man's query with:

"God created Eve for Adam, not Steve."

So, you see, Margaret Court is both a deep thinker and original. She must be breathtaking from the pulpit.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Jan 11, 2012 1:28:05 PM

10. "I have always been a champion and always loved what I do and love tennis. I think it is very sad they can bring it into that. It is hard that they can voice their opinions but I am not allowed to voice my opinion. There is something wrong somewhere."

Seems to me she's voicing her opinion just fine. No one is stopping her. It's my opinion she has her head stuck up her ***.

Posted by: ophu | Jan 11, 2012 1:41:44 PM

11. It'll never happen, but it would be so nice of the Australian Open were to ask her to refrain from attending. They could couch it as a desire to keep the political backlash from overpowering the tennis. Oh, she is certainly free to purchase a ticket and attend if that is what she chooses, but she must understand that if it becomes an issue of player saftety or if her presence is causing a distraction to the game, she will be respectfully asked to leave.

Posted by: Rrhain | Jan 11, 2012 1:48:27 PM

12. What is about these so called "christian" right wingers who think that religion has a say in civil marriage? There is NO religious component in a civil marriage or any reference thereto, nor any invocation of any deity or mandate to procreate. The two are totally different. Marriage has always been a man-made invention, in fact I've never seen the word "marriage" mentioned in the old testament after the procreation fairytale in Genesis or that the fictitious Adam & Eve ever went through a marriage ceremony.

Posted by: Robert in NYC | Jan 11, 2012 1:55:20 PM

13. "I look at the children of our next generation and think of the problems they are having in America with all this -- we don't need it in our nation."

Don't look there! - look elsewhere, say Europe, Canada, Latin America. Here's what Canadians think of her Stone Age ideas according to Aug/Sep 2011 polling:
    "Canadians are showing their pride with three quarters of citizens polled stating they are comfortable with same-sex couples getting married."

Posted by: Hue-Man | Jan 11, 2012 2:07:18 PM

14. "It is hard that they can voice their opinions but I am not allowed to voice my opinion. There is something wrong somewhere."

Everyone is able to voice their opinion, so are the protestors, that is the salient point she and those of her ilk always miss. They want to proselytize without comment from others.

Posted by: lankyguy | Jan 11, 2012 2:24:30 PM

15. Closeted gays are always the worst.
    And btw she may have won more Grand Slams than Martina, Chris and Steffi but the circumstances were MUCH easier and no serious tennis commentator would place her above those three in the list of tennis greats. She"s closeted AND bitter.

Posted by: Paul | Jan 11, 2012 2:26:29 PM

16. huh? "the problems they are having in America with all of this"...WTF? The only "problems" we're having are with bigots like Court who insist on enforcing their prejudices on everyone else.

Posted by: Glenn | Jan 11, 2012 2:33:12 PM

17. Gotta wonder if she took a few tennis balls to the head?!

Posted by: Oliver | Jan 11, 2012 4:52:10 PM

18. Hey MARGRET- "To dismantle the sole definition of 'equality' and try to legitimize an abominable Theocracy that includes baseless discrimination, reveals our ignorance as to the ills that come when society is forced to accept *religious* law that violates our very own constitutionally-guaranteed civil rights."

I've given up hope on ALL 'evangelical ministers'. They all seem fracking EVIL to me.

Posted by: Jexer | Jan 12, 2012 6:02:58 AM

19. "I have been married for 44 years this year and, to me, marriage is something very special, wonderful, ordained by God."

AND I want to keep this special, wonderful thing from being enjoyed by others...how nice!

Posted by: Greg | Jan 12, 2012 10:12:28 AM

20. Yeah yeah yeah...you don't hate homosexuals but you'll demonize our relationships and call us pitiful...yeah...I can feel the love

Posted by: Terry | Jan 13, 2012 10:20:10 AM