2012 Election | Evangelical Christians | Evangelicals | Florida | Religion | Rick Santorum

Meet Rick Santorum's Honorary Campaign Chair

Picture 32Rev. O'Neal Dozier is a nut. I've spoken with him on two occasions, most recently when he whipped into a frenzy the most acidic elements of South Floridian fundamentalism to support a teacher who was in trouble for dousing an atheist colleague with holy water. A few years prior, Dozier had attained a minor kind of celebrity for leading a mean-spirited campaign against the building of a mosque in Pompano, FL. He's taken public stands against pluralism of all kinds -- including the kind written into the nation's Constitution, freedom of religion -- and likes to claim that gay people "make God want to vomit." In person, he comes across somehow as both a smooth operator and as a rigid ego clinging desperately to an overheated id right at the trembling edge of total psychosexual meltdown.

And so it only makes sense that he's now Rick Santorum's biggest booster in the southerly reaches of the Sunshine State as well the honorary chair of Santorum's Florida campaign, and that Dozier's church, Worldwide Christian Center, was the site of Santorum's first campaign stop there this morning. Read all about it at Mother Jones.

Comments

1. The years have not been kind to Grace Jones.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jan 22, 2012 1:22:14 PM

2. I agree with David's comment -kind of like Grace Jones meets J.C. Watts-another delusional African-American who believes there is a place at the table (not serving them) in the Grand Old Party of hate and intolerance. The kindly Rev doesn't realize-Newt and Rick and the rest of the party would throw him under the bus so fast -he wouldn't know what hit him.
    The Rev.- keeping Florida's reputation in the spotlight.

Posted by: nick | Jan 22, 2012 1:32:52 PM

3. Wow.

I've been told that I'm going to hell......many times.

But I've never been told that I "make God want to vomit".
    I was under the obviously mistaken impression that God loved me.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Jan 22, 2012 2:07:22 PM

4. @JackFknTwist: God loves you, but in a gag-reflex kind of way, apparently. :-)

Who knew that God even *could* vomit? Does God eat? If so, what does God eat? So many questions...

Posted by: RyanInSacto | Jan 22, 2012 2:24:54 PM

5. I love you David Ehrenstein.

But my first reaction was, "gayface/hair"

Posted by: David R. | Jan 22, 2012 2:49:14 PM

6. holy water tossed on an atheist

imagine what would be tossed at a gay atheist

Posted by: say what | Jan 22, 2012 2:56:57 PM

7. I am beginning to suspect that Christianity is the largest facilitator of black-on-black crime in this country. Black churches and their leaders seem to host a disproportionate number of scandals, many of which are financial in nature (as mentioned in the article) and many quite sexual in nature. What will it take to get the IRS to take a long hard look at some of these "churchly" organizations and their schemes?

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Jan 22, 2012 3:05:46 PM

8. Reverand Dozier should thank God every day for the compassion and tolerance of others that allowed his ancestors to escape the bonds of slavery. His intolerance of others is sad, pathetic and hypocritical. This obviously flaming homosexual needs to come out ofnthe closet slready and stop directing his sexual frustration and anger at those who carry no ill will towards him and have never harmed him.

Posted by: Rob roberts | Jan 22, 2012 3:32:01 PM

9. This guy makes me want to drop to my knees and start pleasing Jesus.

Posted by: Dearcomrade | Jan 22, 2012 3:39:01 PM

10. Countdown to sex scandal with young male parishioners in 10...9...8...

Posted by: eco-freak | Jan 22, 2012 5:19:54 PM

11. @DAVID R: Yes! Serious gay-face.

Posted by: JOE 2 | Jan 22, 2012 6:10:34 PM

12. Another CHINO ... Christian In Name Only.

So what else is new in Florida?

Posted by: FunMe | Jan 22, 2012 10:09:18 PM

13. I was part of a press conference addressing anti-gay issues brought up by then equally insane Mayor Naugle of Ft. Lauderdale was was supported by this fruitcake. He was surrounded by men dressed in combat fatigues as the army of God. Name sound familiar? I then snuck into a meeting that this clown led and the homophobia was so bad, that when I left the room, I told the guy that brought me to this, "Let's get out of here before I get sick." A television reporter heard my comment and it made national news. These people are dangerous, fanatics and a threat to the gay community.

Posted by: John Simpson | Jan 23, 2012 12:23:50 PM