2012 Election | Iowa | Margaret Thatcher | Meryl Streep | Michelle Bachmann | News

Michele Bachmann Ad Capitalizes On 'Iron Lady' Interest

Bachmann_IronLady

Margaret Thatcher has been all over the news as of late, thanks to the upcoming, Meryl Streep-starring biopic about the former British Prime Minister, The Iron Lady.

Hoping to capitalize on this renewed interest, Republican presidential candidate Michele Bachmann has taken describing herself as America's "Iron Lady."

In addition to making the comparison between herself and fellow conservative Thatcher while on the campaign trail, the congresswoman has now released an ad in Iowa that places even greater emphasis on her Thatcher-esque qualities.

Here's the commercial's text, via CNN:

Born and raised in Iowa, only one candidate has been a consistent conservative fighter who fought 'Obamacare,' who fought increasing our debt ceiling – even as other Republicans were cutting deals with Obama. An expert in tax law who will fight for deep cuts in spending to reduce America's debt, restore our economy and create real jobs – and she'll never back down.

But while Margaret Thatcher was able to get her way overseas, the Des Moines Register recently noted that Bachmann, for all her popular support and high-profile crusades, has been ineffective at passing actual laws.

Watch Bachmann's "Iron Lady" ad AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I read in a blog posting yesterday that Palin tried to meet with 'Lady Thatcher' when she was in London and Thatcher's aide's rebuffed her by saying 'to the tune of Thatcher would be stooping by meeting with Palin' but the aide's went further by stating that Palin is nuts. OMG. The RW media - Limpball, Beck etc. went batshit crazy. I've never been a big fan of Thatcher. As a matter of fact, I pretty much hate her as much as I hate Reagan but touche' to her aide's for dissing Palin. BTW. I hope this biopic doesn't shine a positive light on Thatcher. She doesn't deserve it.

Posted by: Christopher Lines | Jan 2, 2012 9:58:57 AM

2. Bachmann the iron lady. Go away Shelley.

Posted by: Christopher Lines | Jan 2, 2012 9:59:30 AM

3. Thatcher is deeply into Alzheimer's related dementia and it certainly would have been inappropriate for some nobody drop-out governor from Mooseville to think she needed to meet with her. You could tell even then that she'd planning to align herself with Thatcher and that wouldve been a joke.

Posted by: Jerry | Jan 2, 2012 10:05:14 AM

4. Thatcher was the Iron Lady. I disagree with her actions. But she is old and should be left out of this campaign. But MT was smart and tough, MB only knows how to speak loud.
    Shameful.

Posted by: Matt26 | Jan 2, 2012 10:08:38 AM

5. Does it change the meaning enough if we call Michele the 'Iron Headed Lady, The Place NO Fact Can Penetrate'?

Posted by: princely54 | Jan 2, 2012 10:26:21 AM

6. @ christopher

Yepp, i read such on a few news sites

-----------------

anyway; Bachman is more like

Beard Lady says what? as husband's purse falls out of his mouth yet again

Posted by: say what | Jan 2, 2012 10:27:15 AM

7. It is laughable and an insult to Thatcher (I am no fan of her at all or the bad horse opera actor that later became our president Ronnie Davis (err-Reagan)
    but Michelle Bachman lacks intelligence, nuance, and understanding of geopolitical concepts.Lady Thatcher's family should disavow any connection between the 2.

Posted by: nick | Jan 2, 2012 10:32:52 AM

8. Preposterous Hubris..why not just appeal to the Catholic voters by comparing herself to the Blessed virgin Mary, too? The fact that any of this crowd of nuts, flakes and loons has survive so long as possible candidates leaves me with little faith in the intelligence of any electorate that thinks they're able, capable, believable or electable.

Posted by: gregory brown | Jan 2, 2012 10:38:05 AM

9. The only thing the Wingnut Lady Michele Bachmann has in common with the Iron Lady Margaret Thatcher is a sissified husband.

Posted by: Victor McGann | Jan 2, 2012 10:42:13 AM

10. Wow, I wonder how Margaret Thatcher's supporters and family will respond to this crass use of her image. I'm just waiting for somebody to say "I knew Margaret Thatcher, Margaret Thatcher was a friend of mine, and you, Ms. Bachmann, are no Margaret Thatcher."

Posted by: John B. | Jan 2, 2012 11:12:53 AM

11. Michelle may be made of iron, but she is rusting away.

Posted by: john patrick | Jan 2, 2012 1:59:29 PM

12. hell she and marcus are more like steel magnolias

Posted by: walter | Jan 2, 2012 2:56:01 PM

13. PA-LEASE make this crazy lady go away !!

Posted by: Stephen Q | Jan 2, 2012 2:57:12 PM

14. I hated Thatcher's politics and policies, but sheesh, Bachmann isn't fit to shine her shoes.

Posted by: Paulie | Jan 2, 2012 3:32:24 PM

15. The reference to MT kind of loses its power when MB needs to explain "The Iron Lady" with the image of Thatcher and the caption. The only thing missing is "She was pals with Reagan, too!"

It's like a bad comedian explaining his joke.

Posted by: Jude | Jan 2, 2012 3:40:41 PM

16. Hi, this blog is really instructive. I would like to know more about this.

armadi metallici

Posted by: armadi metallici | Jan 24, 2012 11:14:13 PM

17. OH MY GOD IT'S SO PRETTY!!! I so wish I could.

móveis para escritório

Posted by: móveis para escritório | Mar 8, 2012 1:46:17 AM

18. I pretty much hate her as much as I hate Reagan but touche' to her aide's for dissing Palin. BTW. I hope this biopic doesn't shine a positive light on Thatcher. She doesn't deserve it.

sedie moderne