2012 Election | Gay Marriage | Newt Gingrich | Republican Party

Newt Gingrich: Gay Marriage is Pagan, a 'Fundamental Violation of Our Civilization'

Pagan_newt

On a conference call with right-wing religious leaders in Florida including Mat Staver, Jim Garlow, George Barna, and Jim Wildmon (which you can listen to here), Newt Gingrich said same-sex marriage was a hallmark of the "rise of paganism" and a "fundamental violation of our civilization".

Listen, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. OK, Newt, but, um, just what does getting married three times and divorced twice mean? Sounds awfully pagan to me. Actually, my desire to marry my mate is quite a spiritual thing and, by the way, Newt, we Pagans are very, very spiritual in deep and profound ways your shallow soul could not possibly understand.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jan 27, 2012 1:07:38 PM

2. So, does he just say whatever flibberty-gibbet comes to mind...

I really wish he'd decide what we gay people are and stay on point.

Posted by: Jeff | Jan 27, 2012 1:26:59 PM

3. "Fly me to the moon
    Let me swing upon the stars
    Let me see what spring is like
    on Jupiter and Mars"

"In other words, hold my hand
    In other words, baby kiss me"

Come on Newt, Sing along.

I'm gonna miss this wingnut when he's gone and he'll be gone soon enough.

Posted by: Dearcomrade | Jan 27, 2012 1:47:32 PM

4. This load of ego is who the defense of marriage people SHOULD be going after, he has made a mockery of the institution of marriage, and made of joke of the institution he claims to hold so dear.

Posted by: lk | Jan 27, 2012 2:05:37 PM

5. When will this guy realize that he has zero, and I mean ZERO, credibility whatsoever in the "family values" department?

Gingrich gives 'thick-skinned' a whole new meaning.

Posted by: gayalltheway | Jan 27, 2012 2:14:54 PM

6. If you are depressed with the thought of Newt becoming Pres, you might like to watch my video about his three marriages at
    There are chickens in it. Everybody loves chickens!
    There is a little about Santorum in the end!

Posted by: SFHarry | Jan 27, 2012 3:37:46 PM

7. Newt, I've got news for you: there's nothing in Christianity that isn't found in somewhere in paganism! Virgin birth, yep; communion, yes; resurrection from the dead, yep, that too!

Oh, and as for gay marriage, the early Christian church had a ceremony for two lovers to become "brothers." The term is related to the Greek word for brothers whence we get Philadelphia, or brotherly love.

Posted by: J Ascher | Jan 27, 2012 9:57:12 PM

8. Hmmm more pearls of 'wisdom' from the man we hope won't be king... We all know when the next little female blonde patootie catches his eye he'll be violating another 'marriage', one closer to home! But Jebus says that's okay of course.

Posted by: Eoin M | Jan 28, 2012 3:36:35 AM

9. Wow this guy is a joke, he has no right to talk about marriage when he cant even keep his own going without lying and cgeating, but oh wait God forgave him!

Posted by: David | Jan 29, 2012 10:23:21 AM

10. Does Newt Gingrich actually believe that anyone really cares what a twice divorced serial adulterer thinks about marriage? If the U.S. ever develops that moon colony that Newt is pushing,he might then run for the office of governor moonbeam. In the meantime it looks like he would be equally qualified to write a book on diet and fitness.

Posted by: Jack | Jan 30, 2012 12:00:53 AM

11. Newt is a blathering lump of disgusting human exrement. It's lucky we DID have pagans in our past and Very Lucky that we have/are still here. Every so often nature has to vomit at the sheer ugliness of some of the creatures that have evolved and this time it was a disgusting mess of newtmitt with clingons provided frothy heap'oRick. I've tried Oxyclean, Nitric Acid, everything, and the stain and stench just won't come out.

Posted by: Erin | Feb 6, 2012 12:56:35 PM