Alabama | Crime | Sports

Redneck Sexual Assault Captured On Video (UPDATED)

Picture 34
Direct from the Deep South, the Real America, where people respect the individual and old-fashioned gentility reigns: WATCH, AFTER THE JUMP, as what appears to be a University of Alabama student sexually assaults a young man who's passed out from (I assume) alcohol poisoning at a sporting event, while a dozen or more fellow students cheer him on. (NSFW)

And hey, University of Alabama, if you're reading: Do you recognize this kid? Are you going to speak with him? Because in the era of cell phone cameras, too many incidents like this one could really damage your sterling reputation.

UPDATE: Never mind. This wasn't a sporting event at all -- apparently, despite all the Alabamian regalia, this occured in a Krystal fast food joint on Bourbon Street in New Orleans during last night's game. And the perp's not a student. He's an actual grown male who seems proud of his behavior, and who has taken to bragging about it on Twitter. There's a rumor about that the victim has since died, but I haven't seen any evidence to suggest that's the case.

UPDATE: The clip has been taken down. Deadspin has a copy posted.

Comments

1. @KEVIN: You can still view the video at the link titled "this occured in a Krystal fast food joint on Bourbon Street in New Orleans" that Andy or whomever provided above.

Posted by: Marc C | Jan 15, 2012 6:22:57 PM

2. If that poor guy had passed out in a frat house he would probably have been getting more than just teabagged...it's disturbing that no one around him tried to help him. The "rapist" is obviously a bully.

Posted by: jaragon | Jan 15, 2012 6:24:06 PM

3. I think the circumstances matter when defining the conduct. This does not appear to be done for any sexual gratification. I am not aware of any state that would prosecute this is sexual assault. If anyone has more knowledge as a prosecutor, let us know. My guess is this will not be prosecuted or it will be prosecuted as indecent exposure.

Posted by: JP | Jan 15, 2012 6:30:27 PM

4. I've seen much worse in Folsom Street in San Francisco. Granted, it's usually consenting, but that makes it worse in my view. Being whipped, smacked and caned until your skin is breaking and bleeding is still assault regardless of whether it's consenting or not.

As for this incident in New Orleans (which Towleroad initially suggested occurred in Alabama), it seems like a harmless prank by some stupid jocks. Of course, there's the obligatory mindless females trying to look cool by going along with these clowns. It's a true indication of the decline of the female when she sits around laughing when she should be caring.

The "victim" should not have been passed out in public like that. Hopefully he is OK but it's not wise to be so apparently pissed that you can't even defend yourself.

Posted by: jason | Jan 15, 2012 6:37:53 PM

5. Touching someone who does not consent with your genitals is, most certainly, sexual assault in all 50 states. If there were any penetration, no matter how slight, then it would become rape.

Posted by: Kevin | Jan 15, 2012 6:38:42 PM

6. We are doomed as a nation.

Posted by: Kyle Michel Sullivan | Jan 15, 2012 6:54:49 PM

7. Kyle, I don't think you should confine your doom statement to just this nation. I think we are a doomed species, and the rest of creation is probably celebrating that fact. The rest of creation will probably have an annual celebration day of "End of Humanity!"

Posted by: Fruit-for-Peace | Jan 15, 2012 7:08:25 PM

8. JP - So, if not done for sexual gratification, it's not sexual assault? So if a rapist didn't climax, even though he penetrated, it isnt rape? Your ignorance is appalling. Sexual assault has more to do with power and domination than sex, and assault more than sexual gratification. Ever hear of soldiers raping the women of the enemy? Of "corrective" rape of lebians? In this case, sexual organs were obviously involved; how can there be any question?

And JASON, your ignorance and victim-blaming is appalling, too. But we've come to expect nothing less from you.

Posted by: TJ | Jan 15, 2012 7:12:09 PM

9. Jason, you're just an idiot. you can't tell the difference between play between consenting adults and abuse against someone who's unconscious?

no wonder your dad won't hug you.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jan 15, 2012 7:17:51 PM

10. TJ and Kiwi,

You are both rolled gold examples of victim-card playing geese.

Violent play between consenting adults in Folsom Street is still an assault. It's an agreed assault. Don't try to make it seem that the Folsom Street gay crowd is somehow on a higher moral ground here. They ain't.

And, yes, I do blame the passed-out guy for making himself vulnerable. Unless his passing out is due to uncontrollable circumstances, he made the choice to presumably drink and get drunk to the point of unconsciousness. This appears to have been a very poor choice on his part.

Of course, we still need more details as to why he was passed out in public like that.

I don't resile one iota from what I've said. I'm not a card-carrying member of Victimhood Inc.

Posted by: jason | Jan 15, 2012 7:25:42 PM

11. Jason's Dad won't hug him -- but I'd be more than glad to piss on him.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jan 15, 2012 7:26:29 PM

12. David Ehrenstein,

Maybe you can go to Folsom Street where your mouth can act as a receptacle for the piss of hobos.

Posted by: jason | Jan 15, 2012 7:29:26 PM

13. thank you, Jason, for proving us all right once again.

you can't tell the difference between sexual assault against an unconscious person and consenting adults engaging in sexual roleplay.

just because you hate the Folsom crowd doesn't change the fact that every time another gay suicide is reported your father hangs his head, sighs, and says "it shoulda been Jason/Rick" cuz you're both . so there :D

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jan 15, 2012 7:38:08 PM

14. Sexual roleplay? LOL. So when the skin breaks and it bleeds, it's sexual roleplay? Oh, dear. You know, why not go ahead and chop off the poor guy's arm? So long as he agrees to it, it can't be all bad, can it? Sheesh.

Honestly, when I look at the fetishes and self-justification of the sleazy gay male crowd, I scratch my head and wonder whether it was all worth it.

Sleazy, kooky, cultish...all apt to describe modern gay men of the fetishistic ilk. If I had the power, I'd arrest you all and throw you into jail.

Posted by: jason | Jan 15, 2012 7:44:03 PM

15. Assault with a tiny weapon.

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Jan 15, 2012 7:48:51 PM

16. how often do you attend Folsom, JasonRick? I mean, you clearly attend and manage to find the one guy bleeding.

so, you attend? or is this horrid role-play that you claim exists what your dad tells you what happens, and then you agree and say "yeah dad! those gays are gross!' and then he says "yes, they are. and even though you're not one of them I still don't love you."

:D

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jan 15, 2012 7:57:12 PM

17. Still waiting for someone to show me a prosecution for something like this... you won't find it.

Posted by: JP | Jan 15, 2012 7:57:42 PM

18. @Jason: You're quite confused. You think that people who consent to BDSM play at Folsom Street Fair are victims of "assault," yet someone who is passed out and having his face humped on video is not a victim of sexual assault? Um, what?

If I consent to sex, it's sex. If I do not, it is rape.
    If I consent to pain, it's BDSM play. If I do not, it's assault.

This is how consent works. Duh. And just because you may not enjoy the same kind of activity that another person might does not change what that person experiences into "assault." Your judgment is not a magical power of some sort.

Posted by: RyanInSacto | Jan 15, 2012 8:09:14 PM

19. Meh, The lady who used to cut my hair would rub her boobs on my back, and I certainly didn't want it, but it's far from sexual assault.

The idiot shouldn't have passed out in public, and the testicle-dude was wrong to t-bag the passed out guy, but no need to ruin his life by having him legally labeled a sex offender. Criminal mischief? Sure. But the passed out guy suffered no real harm physical or psychological from it. If there was any kind of penetration or the passed out guy was exposed, then yes, someone should go to prison. But keep it in perspective - I go to strip clubs and tip guys who do that to me.

Posted by: OtherJason | Jan 15, 2012 8:12:01 PM

20. Ryan

I simply said that smacking and whipping someone to the point of bleeding is an assault regardless of whether you consent or not. Not difficult to understand, is it? You need to brush up on your word knowledge. Don't rely on the sleazy gay community's definition. The dictionary will give you an accurate meaning.

On the basis of your logic, if I consent to having my arm chopped off, its BDSM play, right? Dear, dear. I hope we're not entering fruit loop territory but I fear we might.

Posted by: jason | Jan 15, 2012 8:15:03 PM

21. so is this an activity that you've witnessed every time you go to Folsom? or is this what your dad tells you happens at Folsom?

hey folks, ever notice how resentful insecure homosexual men never attend pride, or any other Big Gay Things, and yet always have horror stories to tell about them?

hilarious. :D

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jan 15, 2012 8:20:01 PM

22. OtherJason: If you asked her to stop putting her boobs on your back and she kept doing it, then it would technically be assault.

The thing about passing out is that it's generally not a voluntary activity. I think what you mean is that he shouldn't have gotten so drunk that he couldn't make it home or back to his hotel room to pass out in private. On the other hand, I don't know if anyone expects to get teabagged at a fast food restaurant, whether passed out or not.

If he never knew what happened to him, it's a good question of whether this was assault or not. Kind of a "if a tree falls in the woods, does it make a sound" scenario. However, the minute this showed up on YouTube, not only did he know what had happened to him, but so did thousands (and potentially millions) of other people.

Finally, it's great that you like tip guys to teabag you. It's great when we want something and we can find someone who will consent to do it (even if we have to pay cash for it). But that's a different story then what happened here. If you can't grasp that, you should hang out with Jason... somewhere far away from other human beings.

Posted by: RyanInSacto | Jan 15, 2012 8:22:14 PM

23. Jason: And I simply said to you that you can't determine that something is assault just because it doesn't appeal to you. What's so confusing about that?

As for the "sleazy gay community," are you under the impression that heterosexuals do not engage in BDSM? You should use the Google and relieve yourself of your misunderstanding.

Posted by: RyanInSacto | Jan 15, 2012 8:24:57 PM

24. RYAN, by RickJason's bogus logic there is no difference between having consenting sex and NON-CONSENTING sex.

truly. why? he's an idiot.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jan 15, 2012 8:38:03 PM

25. No point arguing with JASON. He is clearly ignorant and incapable of reason. But it seems there are others here who are ignorant as well. It may give you comfort to blame the victim here (it was something HE did, i.e., presumably get drunk and pass out) because it fits nicely with a Just World perspective: people earn what happens to them. It's a way to distance yourself from them as well as the unpredictability of life. Or perhaps you have done something similarly reprehensible and don't want to believe that you are an evil person, because only evil people do evil.

But whatever your rational, please know that no one deserves what happened to that guy. It was disgusting and humiliating. How would you like that done to you when you had no ability to say yes or no? How would you like people to dump garbage on you and rub their genitals on you, and then post it on the Internet?

What happened was wrong. The reasons, not excuses, for what happened may have included the influence of alcohol and mob mentality. That explains their behavior. What explains your minimizing of this, your justifying this? Time for a little introspection about your values.

Posted by: TJ | Jan 15, 2012 8:59:55 PM