2012 Election | Gay Marriage | News | Rick Santorum | South Carolina

BigGayDeal.com

Rick and Karen Santorum Questioned by Woman with Gay Son: VIDEO

Karen_rick_santorum

At a campaign stop in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina today, a woman told Rick and Karen Santorum that she's trying to reconcile her support for him with the fact that her son is gay and he and his friends react poorly at the mention of Santorum's name because they think he hates gay people.

Replied Karen Santorum: "I think it's very sad what the gay activists have done out there. They've vilified him and it's so wrong. Rick does not hate anyone. He loves them. What he has simply said is marriage shouldn't happen. But as far as hating, it's very unfortunate that that has happened. And a lot of it is backyard bullying."

Said Rick: "This is a public policy difference. And the problem is that some see that as a personal assault."

He went on to reply that children deserve a mother and father and unless that is promoted there will be less of it," adding: .. There's all sorts of other relationships that people have, and they are valuable relationships -- whether they are amorous relationships or friendship relationships or familial relationships -- they're all important, they all have value they  all should be affirmed. But that does not mean that we should change the laws to order -- to create an atmosphere where children and families are not being promoted."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I can't believe people are comparing Obama to Rick Santorum. Obama has done so much for the gay community. As soon as he gets re-elected and he isn't worried about an election his true feelings will come out and he will support gay marriage. I would much rather he go with this tactic than come out and support it and risk losing the election to a Republican. Change in government doesn't happen overnight. I'm patient because I know President Obama understands the gay community and everything we are going through. He has our back. Give him time.

Posted by: Markus | Jan 16, 2012 7:36:43 PM

2. They truly don't understand how bigoted they are. A decade or two from now, we'll look back at this time in our history the same way we think about the 1950's civil right's movement. They're ignorant and they simply don't get it. At all.

Posted by: shle896shle | Jan 16, 2012 7:39:27 PM

3. Hitler loved the Jews so much he decided to send them to God early. If Santorum becomes President, it won't take him long to show how much he loves LGBT people.

Posted by: chuck | Jan 16, 2012 7:42:42 PM

4. Please Mr & Mrs Santorum give an example of YOUR love for gay citizens. Just one example.

Posted by: gb | Jan 16, 2012 7:49:13 PM

5. Why don't people ask the candidates hard, tough, direct questions?

"Mr. Santorum, given the choice between a child growing up with two loving parents of the same sex or a single heterosexual one, which would you say is healthier and more stable for the child?"

This isn't a jab at single parents, but a real, honest way to judge whether morals trump facts for Rick Santorum.

Posted by: Marcus | Jan 16, 2012 7:53:46 PM

6. Marcus, I can't tell you what the Santorums would say, but my own answer as a social and religious conservative would be that I'd prefer a child grow up with two loving parents of the same sex rather than a single heterosexual one.

Posted by: Mary | Jan 16, 2012 8:09:32 PM

7. Why, Mary, how mighty liberal of you! So how will you vote?

Posted by: Quite Contrary | Jan 16, 2012 8:20:05 PM

8. @Quite Contrary, I hope I am reading this wrong and you are not attacking Mary. We need to build bridges not tear them down.

@Mary, I loved your answer. It shows clearly that the world is not black and white and that everyone is not the enemy that Opinion Media tries to make each "side" out to be. When you cut out the extremes on both "sides" people are generally good. How does the gay community expect conservatives to find good in gay people if we are not willing to find any good in conservatives? That is not how life works.

Posted by: Markus | Jan 16, 2012 8:37:28 PM

9. First of all, it's not just "gay activists" that have done 'this' - it's rational, thinking, intelligent, people of all races, sexual orientations and backgrounds that have condemned Rick Santorum's hateful rhetoric. Any person running for a position of power who claims that he wants to make American's marriages "void and null" is a hateful, dangerous, nasty, horrible person. PERIOD.

Posted by: Carl | Jan 16, 2012 8:47:27 PM

10. Thank you-Thank you @RJS and @Babh for pointing out a critical issue with Santorum-
    putting aside the anti-marriage equality arguments he makes- he has stated the government has the right AND moral responsibility to regulate consensual monogamous relations between two adults of the same sex- to the point that they should be jailed and prosecuted.

Either he is backtracking in this video, or he is finding a way around the fact that he is as anti-gay and anti-family as anyone can be.

I understand to the general populace, discussions of sex, particularly gay sex, is uncomfortable- but why can't we get some people to ask REAL questions about his anti-gay stances- like
    "Do you still think Lawrence v. Texas was wrong?" "Would you support or would begin the re-criminalizing of monogamous consensual gay relations and intimacy?"

These are REAL questions which would highlight the his extremist views. Maybe this mom, bless her even tho she supports this assh*le- would rethink her support when she learns he thinks her son is evil, deranged, and should be locked up for having a boyfriend. Because thats what Santorum has said he stands for.
    Why is this not being addressed?

Posted by: scott | Jan 16, 2012 9:32:28 PM

11. Hey Rick, do tou mind stepping into this gas chamber, along with your family?

You won't mind -- it's just a policy difference.

Posted by: Rob roberts | Jan 16, 2012 10:31:51 PM

12. That hypocrite man not only hates us ... he hates himself. Most closet cases do.

Posted by: FunMe | Jan 16, 2012 11:23:20 PM

13. I dont hate catholics, i just dont think they should get married or have families

Posted by: r | Jan 17, 2012 12:39:34 AM

14. I will be so relieved when Rick Santorum is out of the public eye.
    He is useless as a politician, and he is so completely ignorant about the REALITY of his own hate-filled speeches and ideas concerning gay people.
    His hatred is overwhelmingly OBVIOUS.
    Just go away, Rick.

Posted by: bruce | Jan 17, 2012 12:41:46 AM

15. Obama supports the repeal of DOMA

Obama supports state's right to have gay marriage.

Obama supports federal benefits for same sex couples.

Obama opposes an amendment defining banning same sex marriage.

How exactly is his position the same as Santorum?

Posted by: JP | Jan 17, 2012 5:46:44 AM

16. She's just as evil as he is.

Posted by: homer | Jan 17, 2012 8:00:45 AM

17. Oh, gays take it personally. Surprised RS? Of course we take!

Posted by: Matt26 | Jan 17, 2012 9:34:04 AM

18. Oh, I see. He doesn't hate gay people. He just does the same things as those who do hate gay people do.

That clears everything up.

Posted by: Joel | Jan 17, 2012 10:39:03 AM

19. Why does her face look like she needs to run home and revisit that bottle of Johnny Walker Red bottle she has hidden in the pantry from Rick. LOL

Posted by: jakeinlove | Jan 17, 2012 11:27:12 AM

20. His wife always has this "deer in the headlights" look in her eyes. She is not an entirely well person.

Posted by: Mousemess | Jan 17, 2012 1:31:12 PM

21. Santorum aside, I have to question the mum with the gay son who supports such a candidate to begin with.

Posted by: Bryan | Jan 17, 2012 3:02:38 PM

22. @Markus: Actually, just so you know, she has been a long-time troll. Quite Contrary addressed her appropriately.

Posted by: Stuart | Jan 17, 2012 9:37:07 PM

23. Smacks of "Joe the plumber". There was no true emotion. If that was a volleyball game, that mother would be an Olympic worthy setter.

Posted by: Alucious | Jan 18, 2012 3:51:17 PM

24. this is what's so frustrating - we get the right-wing bigots who preach their anti-gay bigotry in town hall after town hall, in every smallsville USA city they go to, then pretend they didn't when they get asked by actual newsmedia that will reach the rest of the country.

liberal gay activists wouldn't have any ammo against Santorum had he not spent so many years making dangerously bigoted comments about the LGBT Community.

has has, however, effectively broken God's Ninth Commandment by outright lying about this, so his sinner's ass will joyfully burn :D

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jan 18, 2012 3:56:39 PM

25. I am most afraid of Rick Santorum and wife because I am 60 years old, unemployed due to the depression we are in, bisexual (meaning I have had meaningful, loving, sexual relationships with both women and men, one at a time). I will barely hang on until I can get medicare and social security to see me thru this life in which I have NEVER received government aid).
    I have been a good person by treating family and friends and lovers well, by working hard and trying to raise out of the poor family I grew up in, and always paying taxes without too much complaint, even tho sometimes I wondered.
    What will they (S and wife) do for me as POTUS and FLOTUS? I feel they hate me and would somehow find a "final solution" for me and those millions like me.

Posted by: karen | Feb 13, 2012 3:42:58 PM