2012 Election | News | Newt Gingrich | Republican Party | South Carolina

SC Debate Crowd Goes Nuts for Newt, Boos Juan Williams Over Question on Poverty and Race: VIDEO

Gingrich

At last night's Myrtle Beach, South Carolina debate, Newt Gingrich elicited a standing ovation from the crowd over a series of questions on food stamps, poverty, and jobs for poor kids.

Moderator Juan Williams was booed after asking Newt if his comments are not intended to belittle the poor and racial minorities.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Williams

Comments

1. I hope Moderator Juan Williams wasn't surprised at these Southern Rethuggists negative reactions to his questions on racial minorities and America's poor or to their cheering support for Newtie. After all, Williams wanted to hang with the Faux Noise crowd so he might as well enjoy his place there. And, as to Newtie's responses, par for the course.

Posted by: HadenoughBS | Jan 17, 2012 8:24:22 AM

2. Anyone who would believe gluttonous hog Newt, no matter what he says, is a complete idiot! He's the biggest hypocrite, bigot and liar that will say anything to get approval and elected.

Who in their right might would want THAT to represent the U.S. or Americans. He and his plastic Barbie wife. Nothing but PHONIES! Except for their trips to Tiffany's, of course.

Neuter Newt in 2012!

Posted by: TJ | Jan 17, 2012 8:27:13 AM

3. Welcome to Dirty Myrtle Beach and the hicktown state of South Carolina. This area breeds racists like bunnies breed babies. But believe me, there are others here who try to raise the bar a little bit.

Posted by: Brad | Jan 17, 2012 8:35:15 AM

4. As a gay man, I despise Newt, but as someone who has been working since age 15, and who is surrounded by people who didn't and who have the worst work ethics I've ever seen, I have to agree with his point. I grew up poor, and learning to show up on time, show up at all, write a resume, and take my work seriously is the best thing my mother ever taught me. People who are age 22+ and getting hammered 2-3 weeknights a week and barely care about being there are wasting my time, and theirs, and the one common thing I've seen: it's always their first job. Before you whine about sweatshops or cry "what about the children?!" note that I'm talking about people who are age 15 or higher working, not people who are age 10.

Posted by: Joey Y | Jan 17, 2012 8:39:41 AM

5. Poor Juan. Being FAUX News' favorite Lawn Jockey isn't the glamour job he'd hoped for.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jan 17, 2012 9:06:34 AM

6. Poor Juan? He makes a fortune. Also, with his comments about Muslims, I personally don't feel sorry for the guy at all.

Posted by: Joey Y | Jan 17, 2012 9:12:17 AM

7. Someone actually votes for those people. And gives standing ovation. Oh dear.

Posted by: Matt26 | Jan 17, 2012 9:31:20 AM

8. He believes everyone is endowed by their creator to pursue happiness... great! Let's get going on getting rid of DOMA then, shall we?

Posted by: Dan | Jan 17, 2012 9:59:09 AM

9. This is why America is rapidly becoming a third world country. There are never any solutions to poverty just a few paltry programs and lots of rhetoric which tells working Americans that those that are poor are greedy, lazy, parasites while the oligarchy, who are paid billions out of government coffers because they write the laws, are lauded as job creators.

Posted by: Joey | Jan 17, 2012 10:08:47 AM

10. I thought it was shameful that they scheduled a debate on MLK day in the first place. Then, every time one of the candidates was given an opportunity to reach out to minorities, he threw red meat to the racist audience instead. I can't tell you how ashamed it made me feel to be an American.

Posted by: Jacques | Jan 17, 2012 10:25:01 AM

11. Of course there are more people on food stamps: they're out of jobs because of the recession, brought to you by Wall St. and the previous administration!

Were there NO non-white people in that audience?

Posted by: KevinVT | Jan 17, 2012 10:40:44 AM

12. Yikes. Newt has this way of taking something that is correct in principle and uses it to overshadow obvious, glaring issues in our public policy. Like, yeah, sure, it's great to learn how to work at 11. So what happens when the 11-year-old puts his own dad out of work for being able to work for $6 an hour?

Posted by: sarah | Jan 17, 2012 10:43:02 AM

13. I don't agree with Newt on probably 95% of his issues, but he was totally correct here. Yes, it's not PC and it's "uncomfortable" to talk about, but he's dead right. Too many capable, able-bodied people don't work due to a poor (or non-existent) work ethic.

Yes, the economy sucks and some people genuinely need help. But what he's talking about is generation after generation of families who live in foodstamps, Section 8, WIC, etc. And they're totally fine with it. And his point is: they shouldn't be.

Posted by: LJames | Jan 17, 2012 10:58:43 AM

14. Ah, all NG has to do is open his mouth and the belittling commences.

Posted by: anon | Jan 17, 2012 11:02:00 AM

15. I just can't wait until the story about his daughter is found to be embellished if not true at all.

On the other hand, although kids can work other jobs than janitorial services, I myself worked bagging groceries, I see no problem at all with young teens having a job. Make 'em earn all these Xboxes, and play stations, and expensive ass games to give teach them about priorities.

Posted by: jakeinlove | Jan 17, 2012 11:23:35 AM

16. Here it is:
    The racial breakdown of food stamp recipients is as follows:

41% white
    36% African-American
    18% Hispanic
    3% Asian
    2% Native American
    1% unknown race or ethnicity

Posted by: M. Scott Hernandez | Jan 17, 2012 12:35:01 PM

17. M. Scott, what you fail to leave out is that 41% may be white, but whites make up 68% of the population.

36% of recipients are black, but they only make up 12% of the population.

Math sucks sometimes, eh?
    --------

Here it is:
    The racial breakdown of food stamp recipients is as follows:

41% white
    36% African-American
    18% Hispanic
    3% Asian
    2% Native American
    1% unknown race or ethnicity

Posted by: LJames | Jan 17, 2012 2:01:43 PM

18. LJames what this says is that there really is a class and racial warfare going on in our society when a population of 12% have to utilize 36% of the foodstamps. I guess the truth sometimes sucks too!

Posted by: THurts | Jan 17, 2012 3:52:09 PM

19. Joey Y, Problem with that train of thought. Your poor experience is different than mine or kids today. You assume that the things that you did and thought about were "correct" or applicable to the theme of correct, You also assume that these people did not have the same thoughts and actions.

Please also take into account that if enough kids today start to anything, then that is the way we all will be doing it. I am excited to see what these generations create with their actions.

The best part of the universe is the crap you get wrong!

Posted by: Fenrox | Jan 17, 2012 5:41:06 PM

20. That was scary! Massa I'z shufflin fast as I kin. We North Carolinians know how to take care of our coloreds.

Posted by: Modern Meet | Jan 17, 2012 10:30:54 PM

21. That is South Carolinians.

Posted by: Modern Meet | Jan 17, 2012 10:32:33 PM

22. So I am assuming LJames your f@ggot ass agrees with Newt that your a queer racist?

Posted by: Jody | Jan 18, 2012 2:00:11 AM

23. I swear some of you fa..gs mindset is just like the Tea Tards!

Posted by: Jody | Jan 18, 2012 2:02:04 AM

24. Thanks for sharing this opinion. Regards for you. Good job! Very helpful information This is a cool blogging platform.

Posted by: Jimmy Choo Shoes | Mar 27, 2012 2:59:00 AM