News

BigGayDeal.com

Sh*t the Dowager Countess Says: VIDEO

Dowagercountess

For fans of the PBS soap opera Downton Abbey, AFTER THE JUMP...

(warning: may contain spoilers)

Comments

1. Ack! Contains spoilers! Sort of!

Posted by: NaughtyLola | Jan 20, 2012 1:38:09 PM

2. They left out one of the best ones. She makes some snarky comment to Mrs. Crawley who replies "I'll take that as a compliment." Then Maggie Smith says "I must have said it wrong."

Posted by: Seattle Mike | Jan 20, 2012 1:51:30 PM

3. I've avoided all but the "New Yorker" one from this series, but this Violet edition is hysterical. Going to post this now. Read my review of Downton Abbey: S2 on my film and television review blog, The Reel Charlie here:

I review a ton of gay male films regularly.

Posted by: Philip | Jan 20, 2012 1:55:51 PM

4. Great potential, but yikes, what wretched editing! No pace or rhythm at all. And as pointed out so astutely by Seattle Mike, the best zinger was left out.

Posted by: dms | Jan 20, 2012 2:07:49 PM

5. Oh this was delicious...Maggie is the best, every nuance of upper class horror, disapproval, resignation and reluctant accommodation registers in her expressions and body movements, no words necessary half the time, just gestures.

Downton Abbey rocks just for her alone. What a chronical it is of an entrenched era the death throes of which pave the way towards both the catalclysm of WW11 and beyond to a more emancipated world. Also worthy of note is that it does include a gay man and his loves.

Posted by: uffda | Jan 20, 2012 2:18:14 PM

6. A true legend. The best in DA.

Posted by: Matt26 | Jan 20, 2012 2:18:25 PM

7. Shark? Jumped.

Posted by: ATLJason | Jan 20, 2012 2:19:59 PM

8. Poor job. They left out all of her snarkiest lines.

Posted by: Ricco | Jan 20, 2012 2:47:59 PM

9. "She's a young girl with no right to an opinion, until she gets married, then her husband will tell her what to think."

Posted by: Ricco | Jan 20, 2012 2:49:43 PM

10. Mrs. Crawly: I take that as a compliment.

Dowager Duchess: Then I must have said it wrong.

Posted by: Ricco | Jan 20, 2012 2:50:50 PM

11. I agree -- this was disappointing. So many of her best lines were left out.

Posted by: MichaelJ | Jan 20, 2012 2:56:19 PM

12. God I love Maggie Smith.

Posted by: Erich | Jan 20, 2012 3:39:27 PM

13. wasn't there a line in season 2 episode 1 about Cora's flower arranging talents?

"her arrangements look like those in a first holy communion. In southern Italy."

Something like that.

Posted by: Ken | Jan 20, 2012 4:31:12 PM

14. Downton Abbey is an ITV period drama. PBS may air it in the US, but I'm not sure why you'd call it a soap opera.

Posted by: OddBet | Jan 20, 2012 4:34:57 PM

15. Towleroad posted the lame one that's badly edited and has spoilers. The one that's good is the one NYMag first posted about: Sh*t Dowager Countesses Say. No spoilers there. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IzpM1qBLio

Posted by: Alex | Jan 20, 2012 5:04:43 PM

16. I so love Maggie Smith as this character.

Posted by: jakeinlove | Jan 20, 2012 5:11:51 PM

17. There is an excellent line in the Christmas speical shown here in the UK - I won't reveal the character so as not to spoil it for US viewers, but one guest says to the Countess "I'm leaving and I'm afraid you are unlikely to see me again"

The Dowager replies "Do you promise "

Posted by: Den | Jan 20, 2012 5:13:41 PM

18. you know what bothered my ocd sense? The series is so perfectly period. the costumes, the attitudes...

but the recent christmas special. the tree had modern minilights on it. it was quite jarring to see.

Posted by: caperboi | Jan 20, 2012 5:32:05 PM

19. Maggie Smith can say more with a facial expression than some actors can say in an entire page of script.

Posted by: Chadd | Jan 20, 2012 6:51:34 PM

20. "What's a weekend?" LOVE IT.

Posted by: Steve | Jan 20, 2012 9:05:55 PM

21. It will be a very sad day indeed when we lose Maggie Smith. One person I wish would live forever!

Posted by: Brad | Jan 21, 2012 2:42:50 AM

22. I've watched season two and you can most certainly call it a soap opera now. Season one was nice and fresh, but for some reason they decided to up the ante for the season two and make everything more melodramatic to the point where it's almost laughable.

I wondered quite a few times that the actors must have thought when repeating their lines of their now paper thin characters: "Oh bollocks, here we go. Well, at least we had a one good season!".

Posted by: kode | Jan 21, 2012 7:35:14 AM

23. I noticed the minilights on the xmas tree as well, but it was more than 'jarring'! lol Someone made an amazingly horrible set-decorating decision. Highly doubt that all-white lights were in vogue in 1919. And it's not like you just see the lit tree from afar, you literally see the unlit strings up close before they turn them on.

Posted by: jim | Jan 22, 2012 11:10:36 AM

24. Dame Maggie is a phenom. We saw her and Dame Judi in a 2 women play in London. We were jet-lagged from SD but would stay awake to listen to the two of them read grocery and laundry lists. We watch DA for her character.

Posted by: Steve J | Jan 22, 2012 2:30:06 PM

25. The two people complaining about Christmas tree lights should know that Downton would not get such a basic detail wrong.

Electric-powered Christmas tree lights were already in use for 40 years by then:

Posted by: Mark M | Jan 22, 2012 3:19:23 PM