Gay Marriage | Maryland | News

14-Year-Old Asks Maryland Lawmakers to Say 'No' to Same-Sex Marriage for Her Birthday: AUDIO

Maryland’s Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee heard testimony this afternoon on the marriage equality bill pending there. Among those testifying was a 14-year-old girl named Sarah Crank.

MarylandSaid Sarah:

"Today is my 14th birthday and it would be the best birthday present ever if you would vote NO on gay marriage. I really feel bad for the kids who have two parents of the same gender. Even though some kids think it's fine, they have no idea what kind of wonderful experiences they miss out on. I don't want more kids to get confused about what's right and okay. I really don't want to grow up in a world where marriage isn't such a special thing anymore."

She added:

"It's rather scary to think that when I grow up the legislature or the court can change the definition of any word they want. If they could change the definition of marriage then they could change the definition of any word. People have the choice to be gay, but I don't want to be affected by their choice. People say that they were born that way, but I've met really nice adults who did change."

Sarah, who says she is "home-schooled", then received a boatload of praise for her "very good testimony" from whatever right-wing bigot was shepherding her through the process: "You get an 'A'."

Listen, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via think progress lgbt)

More from today's hearing at the Washington Post and Baltimore Sun...

Comments

1. I was this kid. I feel for her, and I know that she wouldn't get why anyone would feel bad for her standing up for beliefs... but I feel for her lack of experience and exposure to actual gays and lesbians and their families. It took me getting to know gay men and lesbians (who were CHRISTIAN! WHAT?!) to open my mind. I hope that she is given the opportunity to see who we are, the lives we lead, and most importantly, the love we can share with one another.

I'd put away the fiery words of condemnation for this- she still was brave to stand up for her (very uninformed) beliefs... but just watch- should she go to college and make a few gay friends or realize that people she already knows are gay, she just may take that same spark and use it to become a strong ally.

If they can say, "Hate the sin, love the sinner," perhaps we could say, "Hate the ignorance, not the ignorant?"

Posted by: JohnC | Jan 31, 2012 9:09:08 PM

2. HOME SCHOOL- your world view is defined by the square footage of your house.......narrow & limited.

Posted by: Matthew | Jan 31, 2012 9:34:26 PM

3. I'm unclear on how in the holy F*CK a 14 year old's testimony on marriage is relevant in a legislative proceeding. Is this serious? How is her opinion of any consequence. My best friend's daughter is 11 and she supports marriage equality. Can I get her to testify? I really have no idea what this country is coming to.

Thankfully, this 14 year old is the polar opposite of the trend and direction of support for marriage equality and equal rights for LGBT people in general among young people. I'm sure she'll end up at some bible-thumping college for morons like Michelle Bachmann's alma mater and will follow in the footsteps of ignorance and hate, fear and confusion.

Posted by: SoLeftImRight | Jan 31, 2012 9:36:40 PM

4. Adults using children to score political points should be deeply ashamed of themselves. Whether it is this homophobic family or the lesbian mother who had her little boy confront Bachmann. Let the adults debate these adult issues and let the children be children.

Posted by: Jack | Jan 31, 2012 9:37:57 PM

5. One word: hatred.

Opponents of marriage equality are fuelled by nothing but hatred and ignorance towards anything that is different. The sad thing is when children are exploited like this. But one thing is certain, you know bigots and hate-mongers are desperate when they play the 'children in danger because of marriage equality' card.
    Marylanders know better than to believe in lies and to take away fundamental rights of other citizens.

Posted by: gayalltheway | Jan 31, 2012 9:57:50 PM

6. Was that a child or a talking parrot? I'm impressed that a bird could put so many words together like that even if there was no thought content.

Posted by: Polly wants a Cracker? | Jan 31, 2012 10:45:16 PM

7. And her parents are Cranks? C'mon you're making this up.

Posted by: Polly wants a Cracker? | Jan 31, 2012 10:47:05 PM

8. SMIB

(southern Maryland inbred)

But seriously, while homeschooling doesn't necessarily mean right-wing, religious indoctrination, that certainly was the case in my last neck of the woods. Even in the best of circumstances, the kids can miss out not only on socialization (thus hampering development of social skills), but on development of an appreciation of diversity.

And I agree with SOLEFTIMRIGHT. How is this child's limited, immature viewpoint and testimony relevant? How is her's expert testimony worth consideration?

Posted by: TJ | Jan 31, 2012 11:33:31 PM

9. Horrible.
    This girl has learned to hate, without even realizing it. She obviously has hateful, bigoted, ignorant parents.
    I feel incredibly sorry for her. She will likely grow up to be an awful person...
    She is well on her way.

Posted by: bruce | Jan 31, 2012 11:35:36 PM

10. Did she get home schooled by Brian Brown and Maggie Gallagher??? I feel sorry for this girl, she's being raised by monsters and will likely have some tough and embarrassing lessons to learn over the next ten years.

Posted by: NY2.0 | Feb 1, 2012 1:46:16 AM

11. She probably writes for Conservapedia.

Posted by: Ezam | Feb 1, 2012 2:08:52 AM

12. Dear Sarah,
    Your rights end where mine begin. Happy Birthday.

Posted by: darkmoonman | Feb 1, 2012 2:28:41 AM

13. Using children as a shield is a time honored technique of the most vile politicians.

Posted by: Bill Michael | Feb 1, 2012 4:41:52 AM

14. Sarah Crank is a silly little girl.

Posted by: jason | Feb 1, 2012 7:02:06 AM

15. Take this child away from these abusive parents right now!! this is a person who lives in a world that does NOT exist!! Home schooled my ass!!

Posted by: tommyboy10T | Feb 1, 2012 7:08:06 AM

16. Homeschooled says it all.

BTW, I didn't get what I wanted for my 14th birthday either.

Posted by: Jack M | Feb 1, 2012 7:51:50 AM

17. Wow. *shakes head* That's sad... and what's worse, Sarah will have to live with the realization of her actions (whether she was put up to it or not) as an adult. I feel badly for how she's been manipulated into being a mouthpiece for discrimination and hatred, without any clear understanding of the pain she's causing.

However, I'm not surprised... with growing support for Marriage Equality by the younger generation, it makes sense (in a completely cynical way) that the professional homophobes would try to prop up kids as their mouthpieces.

Posted by: Ozymandias71 | Feb 1, 2012 8:51:31 AM

18. Girl sounds like she is 8.
    Figures she is home-schooled.

Posted by: Alexander | Feb 1, 2012 9:51:32 AM

19. I don't expect a 14 year old to have critical thinking skills but I do expect adults to. What this girl's parents are failing to do is to teach her to think, what they have so far accomplished is to teach her to NOT think, to accept anything and everything they say at face value and never, ever question. And they have taught her to make dangerous assumptions. The most dangerous is that children of conservative, heterosexual, two parent,christian families are safer, happier, and more loved and nutured than all those "other" children she feels so bad for. Those of us with brains know that this is just not true. Having cristian opposite gender parents guarantees you nothing. What this girl's parents are doing is teaching her how to prejudge individuals and groups of people based on bigotry, ignorance and superstition. As the church lady would say..."isn't that special!" What children need to become healthy stable adults is not only love and nuturing in a stable home environment but healthy and stable role models -both men and women- in their lives. Whether the men are fathers or grandfathers or uncles, the women are mothers, grandmothers or aunts, is not as important as having a consistent, stable, reliable,safe,healthy and loving source of support and nuture from adults who helps YOU become an adult. What this girl's parents are doing is keeping her an ignorant child in an adult's body just like themselves, and if she ever realizes that what SHE has been missing out on - being an actual adult who can reason and use logic -she will resent them for many,many years if not for the rest of her life.

Posted by: Paul Keckonen | Feb 1, 2012 10:34:46 AM

20. Shame on these parents of this poor brain-washed child. Raising children to be bigots is not anything a parent should be proud of.

Posted by: Todd Andrew | Feb 1, 2012 11:04:03 AM

21. She's 14 and home-schooled, tell me exactly where she met ex-gay people!

Her psycho parents have clearly brainwashed this child, sad.

Posted by: Matt | Feb 1, 2012 11:08:20 AM

22. Sad that there are kids this young that are this full of ignorance arrogance bigotry and hate.Its obvious though that this child is not just speaking personally from what she believes but also.... what her parents believe. This little girl sounds just like all the other brainwashed weak minded weak willed easily swayed kids out there nowadays.

Posted by: Kenny | Feb 1, 2012 11:29:28 AM

23. Hopelessly brainwashed forever; the chance of her becoming a fully functioning human being is practically zero.

Posted by: antb | Feb 1, 2012 11:46:36 AM

24. Hey, LITTLE KIWI; "Right On" A 14 year old HOME Schooled really knows a lot about life. Especially interaction with people her own age. Incidentally, where did she get all this knowledge about sexuality? At Home? mmmmmm.

Posted by: Jerry6 | Feb 1, 2012 11:48:20 AM

25. Homeschooling: The real "Closing of the American Mind"!

Posted by: Gunga Dean | Feb 1, 2012 12:12:42 PM