Australia | Billie Jean King | Gay Marriage | Margaret Court | Martina Navratilova | Sports | Tennis

Tennis Legend Margaret Court Doesn't Want to Be Labeled a Hater for Calling Gays 'Abominable'

Tennis legend-turned-pastor Margaret Court, who spoke out against marriage equality in December, doesn't want to be called a hater, she tells the NYT in a new interview defending her remarks.

CourtSaid Court about gay people in December:

"They are not perfect, often dysfunctional and despite the fact the role models may be distorted and even severely flawed, there is no reason to put forward alternative, unhealthy, unnatural unions as some form of substitute. No amount of legislation or political point-scoring can ever take out of the human heart the knowledge that in the beginning God created them male and female and provided each with a unique sexual function to bring forth new life. To dismantle this sole definition of marriage and try to legitimise what God calls abominable sexual practices that include sodomy, reveals our ignorance as to the ills that come when society is forced to accept law that violates their very own God-given nature of what is right and what is wrong."

After anger from fellow tennis players Billie Jean King and Martina Navratilova and threats of a protest by LGBT rights groups at this month's Australian Open, Court says "I don’t hate homosexual people" but stands by her remarks:

I remember, probably 10, 12 years ago, I spoke with Martina Navratilova. To say that I “hate” homosexuals and lesbians is not [accurate] because we have them in our church. I work with them. And I remember saying to Martina: “Martina, I love you. God loves you. But a wrong doesn’t make a right.”...

...I make a stand for both my biblical side, and what I believe. And I think — it’s a choice. And I think there’s young people today that need to know it’s a choice in life. And that was my side of it, bringing that forth. I’ve got nothing against the people themselves, I’ve always said that all the years I’ve been a minister.

More at the NYT...

Comments

1. I really don't care what she says....people (ie. so-called evangelicals) 'cherry-pick' the Bible to support their bigotry. There are a HELLUVA lot of misogynist verses in the Bible which apparently she choses to ignore.

Posted by: CB | Jan 5, 2012 2:35:36 AM

2. Um, Maggie, (if I may call you that...it beats some of the other names you've been called on this board) if you are going to quote from the Bible, as a Christian, please remember what Jesus said, while he was on this earth as a human being. I believe it was Paul who asked Jesus what is the most important Commandment? Jesus replied, to love God with all your heart and soul. Paul pressed on and asked which is the second most important...Jesus replied...to love your neighbor as you love my Father. Since you appear to have trouble with reading comprehension, it boils down to this: If you want to be a true Christian, you have to love ALL of God's children, even those that are different from you. Get it now? See, it's not so easy to be a true Christian. Please refrain from identifying yourself as a Christian until you can learn to love everyone. You, dear, are NOT a Christian.

Posted by: millerbeach | Jan 5, 2012 4:27:49 AM

3. But y'are, Blanche, y'are a bigot. And an also-ran tennis player. Martina? Yep, people know her as a tennis legend. Billie Jean? Yep, people know her as a tennis legend? You? Your legacy will be to be known as a bigot. Y'all'd better get used it to it, darlin'.

Posted by: justinw | Jan 5, 2012 4:39:21 AM

4. I'm not at all religious but every night I pray they find the closed-minded bigot gene.

Posted by: oliver | Jan 5, 2012 5:08:22 AM

5. For Margaret, the Bible's words are infallible about homosex (never mind that her lord and savior said diddly about it), but the prohibitions against leather, pork, shellfish, interest from her tennis earnings, the bit about elderly librarian/spinster hair and clothing, judging other humans, and women's subsidiary status to men are not to be taken literally. Why do these idiots focus so relentlessly on 4 or so percent of the human race?

Posted by: Morning Tundra | Jan 5, 2012 8:14:32 AM

6. @Millerbeach: I agree that Jesus' words about "the Greatest Commandment" are all too often neglected by self-proclaimed "Christians.".
    But it was a "legal expert among the Pharisees" who asked him the question about what the greatest commandment is.
    Paul never met Jesus during Jesus' lifetime and he violently persecuted Christians until after Jesus' time, when he claimed to have had a vision.

Posted by: Gregv | Jan 5, 2012 9:19:36 AM

7. Probably a lesbian herself, just can't deal with it.

Posted by: Glenn | Jan 5, 2012 10:33:59 AM

8. Of course she doesn't want to be called a hater. No one does. But when the crap you say is as hateful as the crap this yeti has been spouting for i-don't-know-how-long, the descriptor fits perfectly.

Hater.

Posted by: The Milkman | Jan 5, 2012 10:59:40 AM

9. I think she was hit in the head by too many tennis balls. Thank god I'm and atheist.

Posted by: Dearcomrade | Jan 5, 2012 11:07:57 AM

10. Most of the anti-Court rhetoric is dead on correct, except for one: Court was NOT an also-ran as a tennis player. She was a brilliant champion, and is one of the few who holds a winning record over Billie Jean King in major tournaments. Court's big fall when when she lost to Bobby Riggs because he outsmarted her and got her off her game. Billie Jean eclipsed Court in the public eye because Billie Jean turned the tables on Riggs, took him off HIS game and mopped the court with him.

Posted by: MikeMick | Jan 5, 2012 11:28:56 AM

11. Despicable hetero-bigotry, stubborn resistance to following God's Golden Rule . . . these are choices that Margaret Court has made, and ones she will have to answer for on Judgment Day.

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | Jan 5, 2012 11:40:45 AM

12. Hmm... so her argument is based soley on physical biology? That God made man and woman for sexual congress? Heh. So what about all the beautiful creatures that God creates who are born with a penis and a uterus? Or a vagina and testes? There are more combinations of biology, gender expression, and sexuality than there are fingers and toes on the human body. This woman needs to STFU and sit down. If she's so big on the bible, why not take it's advice and be a SILENT WOMAN.

Posted by: Leah | Jan 5, 2012 12:03:13 PM

13. Every time a so-called "Christian" person spills out anti-gay hate with Bible verses, we should say fine. But before you go on, let me read some other verses and ask yes/no questions on whether you follow those laws.

These cafeteria style, pick and choose "Christians" will be revealed as simply what they are: HATEFUL BIGOTS.

Posted by: FunMe | Jan 5, 2012 12:21:49 PM

14. Stupid, stupid, bigot.

Posted by: Carl | Jan 5, 2012 1:46:31 PM

15. Does this woman not understand that her God-created-man theory has not been proven?

We should ALL be agnostic. No one knows anything for sure.

Posted by: James | Jan 5, 2012 6:35:29 PM

16. And Ms. Court believes sexual orientation IS a "choice". More appalling is that
    Ms Court's religious "lifestyle" is most definitely a choice. Raised as a Catholic she then "chose" to leave the church to become a Pentecostal; further choosing to be come a minister. The Bible has very specific denunciations for a woman who chooses such a lifestyle. One that puts her against what's best for society -according to this God she quotes as seeing abomination of homosexuality.

Ms. Court remove the plank in your eye and you will see the face of a bigot in the mirror.

Posted by: mcNnyc | Jan 5, 2012 6:44:07 PM

17. I like your blog very much, I think you will pleased to look at babolat aeropro drive gt.Thank you!

Posted by: babolat aeropro drive gt | Jan 6, 2012 2:00:04 AM