Jake Shears | Music | Scissor Sisters

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Scissor Sisters Video for 'Shady Love'

Scissorsistersshadylove

Scissor Sisters today a video for their untitled forthcoming album. The track, called "Shady Love" and featuring Azealia Banks as alter ego Krystal Pepsy, and marks an aural departure for the queer group, leaning closer to dancehall than the straight-up dance jams with which we've grown familiar.

Nick Levine from NME offers his thoughts:

...There's more to 'Shady Love' than Jake and his cod Latino flow. It's produced by Alex 'Boyz Noise' Ridha and co-written with Azealia 'Cool List' Banks, who's also kind enough to contribute vocals and crafty enough to nab a "vs." credit under the guise of "Krystal Pepsy". Maybe you had to be there?

Anyway, thepoint is that 'Shady Love' pulls off a pretty nifty trick: it sounds like no other Scissor Sisters track, but still sounds unmistakably like Scissor Sisters. Respect.

It borrows from electro, house and disco, winking at both ABBA and Calvin Harris, and it's got some Latin freestyle junk in its trunk. First you'll think "WTF?!" Then you'll think "Hmm…" And finally you'll be too busy shaking your booty like Beyoncé at Glastonbury to think about goddamn anything. If not, you deserve to be locked in a padded cell and forced to listen to Little Mix's 'Cannonball' for all of eternity.

Give "Shady Love" a listen - and a view, via Joe.My.God - AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. @STARPEOPLE88: Rap is not a talentless artform. It's, in fact, incredibly challenging to do well and there are quite a few amazing rap and hip-hop artists out there.

This isn't a particularly good rap song, though.

Posted by: RandySF | Jan 3, 2012 2:38:21 PM

2. Jake Shears hardly has a beer gut.

Posted by: Paul R | Jan 3, 2012 2:38:49 PM

3. I LOVED IT! A bit disappointed with the video - especially with the exceptional videos that were made for the singles from Night Work. I can't wait to get Shady Love on iTunes or Amazon!

Posted by: James | Jan 3, 2012 4:57:25 PM

4. this makes me sad. i had such high hopes!

Posted by: Joe | Jan 3, 2012 5:43:09 PM

5. I partook in an illicit substance before viewing this and still did not enjoy it...

Posted by: AA | Jan 3, 2012 8:07:20 PM

6. Ugh, no matter how hard I try, I can never get into the Scissor Sisters.

Posted by: Spongey | Jan 3, 2012 9:34:24 PM

7. I haven't my mind up yet whether this song is made out of desperation to get some chart hit or out of creativity to create something fresh and different. It should have been a Jake solo project rather because I have no idea what contribution Babydaddy, Del and Ana have made in this thing. But it is sort of authentic, just remember the fabulous MAKING LADIES in which Jake raps, or ELECTROBIX. Well, I reckon this will be a dismal flop, and they will return to Elton for their next single.

Posted by: Sushi Guru | Jan 11, 2012 12:03:13 AM