Canada | Nature | News

Wolf vs Elk vs Grizzly: VIDEO

Bear_elk

Ages ago I posted a fairly epic amateur video shot in Kruger National park. Here's something similar shot near Banff, Canada. It's not often you witness an Animal Planet-style struggle off the side of the highway.

The videographer explains:

When the video starts the baby elk is about to be wounded by the wolf but gets away and some distance. Soon after hearing the baby Elk crying the grizzly bear decides to go after the baby elk and no regard for eloquence or the wolf. At the end of the video the elk gains some distance but ends up on shore with wolf waiting on the train tracks and the grizzly bear eventually catching up.

A riveting scene. Don't watch if you find the harsher side of the natural world scary, although I'm sure (cough) the elk got away.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. The Kreuger Nat'l Park footage between the lions, buffaloes and crocodiles is truly epic. This footage is out of focus, shot from a too distant vantage point, and burdened with user commentary and snark. I am a huge fan of all things Towleroad, but you really missed the mark with this dreary clip.

Posted by: Mike G | Jan 24, 2012 9:14:49 PM

2. I'm with Mike G, this is really low caliber. The description over-sold it a bit.

Posted by: Mick | Jan 24, 2012 9:24:46 PM

3. I have no idea who would find something like this entertaining.

Posted by: Robert | Jan 24, 2012 9:48:37 PM

4. I doubt the people on the bridge would be laughing like that if either the wolf or the bear were chasing them.

Posted by: candide001 | Jan 24, 2012 9:51:38 PM

5. Andy, I love your site. Have read it at least twice daily for a number of years now. Your interests roughly align with mine, and it feels like "coming home" to visit your site.

But to this day, I *still* don't get why you occasionally post gruesome nature-related things like this.

There's some neuron or something misfiring in your brain for you to think that the vast majority of your loyal audience has even the remotest morbid interest in seeing these things.

Please. Just don't. Of course it's your site and you can do whatever the heck you want, but please. Just stop with this cr*p.

Posted by: steve05401 | Jan 24, 2012 11:22:22 PM

6. You can't please everyone all the time, just keep doing your thing. I found the video interesting.

Posted by: Nathan V | Jan 25, 2012 12:12:43 AM

7. I find the laughing really disturbing, a la the Hunger Games or something equally socio-pathological. It really bothers me to hear somebody laughing at the sound of a distressed animal. I'm sorry but you're not right in the head if you find it funny.

Posted by: Jazzy Jeff | Jan 25, 2012 12:28:47 AM

8. I also find these types of videos to be very disturbing and heart-breaking. And although I scratch my head asking who could find them entertaining, my partner has a fond love for nature documentaries. The other night I even told him I couldn't watch them with him anymore because I get too upset and that those shows and documentaries do nothing but show "animals eating other animals." But, there is an interest for it; so continue posting them for those who want to watch them. I am sure my partner appreciates it. lol

Posted by: Dr. Christopher Blackwell | Jan 25, 2012 12:30:41 AM

9. I don't really appreciate heavy videos like this either. It's not entertaining for most of us, and actually disheartens those who are animal lovers. Before the red neck hunters raid this comment section and say "toughen up" or "it's nature"....uhm, this is a gay site, on gay oriented topics (at least it SHOULD be)....nothing drives me more annoyed than seeing stories about Matt Damon's abs, or Kim Kardashian, or animals on the hunt in nature.

I don't go to ESPN.com looking for the latest news on Miss America, and I don't log on towleroad (a site that promotes itself as a gay oriented blog) for animals attacking each other.

Posted by: Hassan | Jan 25, 2012 12:41:38 AM

10. It's the circle of life. When I was a teenager worked on a chicken farm. Do you think you food is killed more polite way?

Posted by: Brian35 | Jan 25, 2012 12:42:36 AM

11. I agree with others. Other than trying really hard to be cool, and a dumb- frat jock in college easily amused by anything, I too don't get the point or relevance in the video. If I want footage into nature, I have a network to tune into t.v for that. That's not why most of us log on here. Know your audience.

Posted by: DanDaMan | Jan 25, 2012 12:44:13 AM

12. Although, some may argue this is the circle of life and nature, I say to them, there's a lot of messed up, freaky, nasty, flat out wrong things that happen in nature. Just because it occurs in the wild does not mean every specimen needs to be exposed to it. We all do some disturbing 'natural' things after eating Mexican (LOL especially at an obscure food truck) doesn't mean we need to sit back and laugh at a footage of our bowel movement because it's part of nature.
    I worry about someone who finds clips like these hysterical or funny.

Posted by: Amber C. | Jan 25, 2012 12:48:34 AM

13. I don't get why they're laughing but the video, while out of focus, was very interesting. This is what happens to little elks who wander away from their moms or whose mom doesn't survive: they don't either.

It's very sad but that evolution in action. Conversely, maybe the bear or the wolf was a mother with waiting cubs/puppies to be fed.

Posted by: G.I. Joe | Jan 25, 2012 12:49:09 AM

14. Sorry. Animal lover here, have had more animals show me what unconditional love and loyalty is in my life than some humans I know. If towleroads going to turn in to a site about showing clips of animals in hardship, or near death- peace out homie. I'll find an equally informative gay joint that doesn't get off on animals in trouble clips from 18 year olds on you tube.

Posted by: Miles-TX | Jan 25, 2012 12:54:20 AM

15. @ Amber C.: Amen! There is some really gruesome, disturbing things that happen in nature. Doesn't mean the average human must learn to love it. Most would rather look away- which we shouldn't have to do on a site I want my fix of LGBT news.

Posted by: Miles-TX | Jan 25, 2012 12:57:00 AM

16. I'm as laid back and go with the flow as it gets, and I didn't appreciate this post either. Good for those of you who find enjoyment out of hopeless animals fightin for their lives, but damn, why do the rest of us need to see that. I know everybody suffers, sht that's life but doesnt mean I want to see it.

Posted by: Real Talk | Jan 25, 2012 1:01:24 AM

17. I'm confused...why is this posted on here?

Posted by: L.B | Jan 25, 2012 1:07:25 AM

18. Hey, individuals that find these videos gruesome, that play button you see doesn't need to be pressed! Hell, you don't even have to jump to the video; just pass this post by.
    Andy gave fair warning.

Nature is brutal and gruesome but that wolf and bear need to eat too and their food is elk. Grow up and stop being naive. I could do without the commentary (almost always in youtube videos) but it's still fascinating to see how nature "works."

Posted by: unruly | Jan 25, 2012 3:04:29 AM

19. Im from Asia. This place is breathtaking! What so amazing about the place is it's by the roadside.

Posted by: John | Jan 25, 2012 4:57:09 AM

20. I'm surprised by the reaction to this clip. Bears gotta eat, too, you know.

What disgusted me was the idiotic laughter and commentary from the videographer. Laughter is not the appropriate response here. Was he stoned, or just stupid? Or maybe he doesn't understand the difference between reality and the "entertaining" violence of a video game.

Posted by: scott | Jan 25, 2012 6:33:10 AM

21. "Although, some may argue this is the circle of life and nature, I say to them, there's a lot of messed up, freaky, nasty, flat out wrong things that happen in nature."

It's not really much of an argument, given that all life requires other life to survive.

"Doesn't mean the average human must learn to love it. Most would rather look away- "

"but damn, why do the rest of us need to see that. I know everybody suffers, sht that's life but doesnt mean I want to see it."

It's incredibly depressing to see how readily people want to block out reality.

Posted by: Nat | Jan 25, 2012 7:35:00 AM

22. While this is a distressing video of poor quality I think it has infinitely more value than those gay hating christian videos this site seems addicted to posting.

Posted by: chad | Jan 25, 2012 9:00:25 AM

23. Bears are omnivores. They main diet is vegetative and insects.

Posted by: anon | Jan 25, 2012 9:25:25 AM

24. @Unrully, This is a very popular and influential site. Alot of the readers care deeply about the site and have a strong feeling of ownership in the success of the site. This is a very good thing for the owner of this commercial site. He should know that promotion of these videos might drive away some of his customers or even just reduce their entusiasm for his product. His "fair" (cough) warning was actually just a little immature by trying to be cute, I found it disrespectful. I don't find nature scary, but I do find it scary that some people are entertained by watching real violence.

I have seen no one on here claim that humans should always get involved to prevent wild animals from their necessary hunting of prey. What I get from the comments is the objection is to creating a video, laughing at the animal in distress, and then posting it in my opinion for the sick enjoyment of the public.

@Nat, I have no interest in blocking out reality. What I find depressing is reality of the number of people that are entertained by the suffering of other beings (human or not).

Posted by: travshad | Jan 25, 2012 11:16:41 AM

25. Lighten up people. This sort of thing lightens up the news streams on here.... they are probably laughing cause they can't believe its happening!

the wolf looked cool.