Don't Ask, Don't Tell | Military

BigGayDeal.com

A Marine Comes Home

Homecoming

Above: A pic of the homecoming of Brandon Morgan, of the United States Marines Corps, posted to the Gay Marines Facebook page yesterday. It's now got 1,000 comments and 800 shares.

The Marines involved are Morgan and Dalan Wells.

Thanks to Joe.My.God for forwarding it along. He's also found this statement, from Mr. Morgan's own Facebook page:

To everyone who has responded in a positive way. My partner and I want to say thank you. Dalan, the giant in the photo, can't believe how many shares and likes we have gotten on this. We didn't do this to get famous,or something like that we did this cause after 3 deployments and four years knowing each other, we finally told each other how we felt. As for the haters, let em hate...to quote Kat Williams, everyone needs haters, so let them hate. We are the happiest we have ever been and as for the whole PDA and kissing slash hugging in uniform...it was a homecoming, if the Sergeants Major, Captains, Majors, and Colonels around us didn't care...then why do you care what these random people have to say? In summation thank you for your love and support. I received a lot of friend requests off this. I don't just accept requests so if your request was because of this post message me and let me know. Goodnight all, and Semper Fi." --Brandon Morgan

Comments

1. Why is this picture being posted on a gay blog but not in the mainstream media like the kiss between the two women was for the Navy homecoming a month ago? Typical double standard.

The liberal mainstream media clearly avoids pictures of two men kissing but seems to be more attracted to two women kissing, giving the latter more publicity.

I've always told you that liberals have a homophobic double standard in this regard. Now, there's proof. Oh, by the way, when is there going to be a Navy homecoming kiss between two men? Pigs might fly....

Sadly, a lot of you GUI's (gay useful idiots) will accept this sort of discrimination from the mainstream press.

Posted by: jason | Feb 26, 2012 4:40:26 PM

2. "Shame on FB for taking it down. I would think that it would violate the 1st Amendment, which is what the Marine was fighting for."

It is back up. My guess is that if something is reported enough times, it is automatically hidden from public view until someone can hand-reject the content.

Either way, Facebook can keep up or pull down what they like. They are not the government and Facebook is not a public forum. It is a private service where the company responsible for it can allow or deny any type of information exchange they wish.

You might have a first amendment argument if facebook were an online forum hosted and maintained by government employees on government-owned servers.

Posted by: RJS | Feb 26, 2012 4:43:35 PM

3. This photo is awesome - It's great to see because it's heartwarming and inspiring. I'm really happy for these guys.

Posted by: Tyler | Feb 26, 2012 4:48:17 PM

4. Why isn't this photo in the mainstream media? The mainstream media seems to avoid photos of two men kissing. Even Huffington Post hasn't put it up.

Posted by: bruce | Feb 26, 2012 4:55:19 PM

5. JASON - perhaps the mainstream media haven't seen this yet?

Posted by: TJ | Feb 26, 2012 4:57:03 PM

6. Jason - What the heck does this have to do with the mainstream media being "liberal?" Has Fox News posted this on their website? Townhall.com? Redstate.com? Breitbart? Is it getting applause across the right-wing blogosphere? All of these questions can all be easily answered with a two-letter word: No.

And the following question can easily be answered with a three-letter word: Is Jason a trolling moron? Yes!

Now go upstairs and ask your mom for a snack.

Posted by: RyanInSacto | Feb 26, 2012 5:06:44 PM

7. Bruce: The Huffington Post hosts user-generated content. Why don't you set up an account and post the picture yourself?

Posted by: RyanInSacto | Feb 26, 2012 5:08:23 PM

8. Um, seriously folks, it's pretty early to conclude that the any media are ignoring this pic. It was first posted online, what, yesterday? It's only just starting to go viral. On a weekend.

And as heartwarming as it is, this isn't exactly breaking news requiring immediate action...

Posted by: al | Feb 26, 2012 5:09:10 PM

9. @ Jason :

I, for one , don't give a flying f**k what any main stream media or any other straight dude thinks.

This picture is ours.
    These men are ours.
    This victory is ours.

Give your negativity a vacation.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Feb 26, 2012 5:12:29 PM

10. @ RSJ Facebook page is still down. Or maybe it can be only viewed within the Unite States? Either way, it is a shame it's not up in Facebook.

Posted by: Beto | Feb 26, 2012 5:28:50 PM

11. I hope this becomes as iconic a picture as the sailor and the nurse in Times Square at the end of World War II. And I hope every homophobic commander who sent our young people into harm's way over the past 11 years sees this, and realizes what a true soldier is.

Posted by: Dback | Feb 26, 2012 5:33:50 PM

12. Wow! That is one happy couple- no wonder all these homophobes are terrified- there is no way we are going to the back of the National closet agai!

Posted by: jaragon | Feb 26, 2012 5:42:13 PM

13. @Beto, the Facebook page certainly is up, I just clicked into it and poked around with no problem.

And to the poster who wondered if the page being down was a 1st Amendment issue: I think you don't quite understand what the Constitution does and does not protect (hint: Facebook is not the fourth branch of the Federal Government).

Posted by: NaughtyLola | Feb 26, 2012 5:47:11 PM

14. I'm crying. I'm 55 years old and this picture has me in tears! I want to hug both of them!
    How can ANYONE think this is a bad thing???
    More power to you, kids. Be happy.
    Blessed Be.

Posted by: Randall | Feb 26, 2012 6:19:37 PM

15. That's like a real-life Brokeback kiss. Swoon. By the looks of it those two are going to be together for a very long time. Beautiful.

Posted by: Jersey | Feb 26, 2012 6:45:06 PM

16. Simply beautiful photo..two separated by war finally reunited...passiona and love congrats guy!!!!simply exquisite

Posted by: William Lugger | Feb 26, 2012 7:21:40 PM

17. Awwwww! That's so adorable! And now queue the depression as it hits me I don't have a man...le sigh.

Posted by: daws | Feb 26, 2012 7:26:21 PM

18. Come on Jason
    Be a man not a troll. Things are moving jason I'm sure with no help from you. At least Rick told us a little about him and that he did some fighting to make the world a better place
    You, you just hide and hate hate hate women.
    Jason enjoy the pic, I hope you have that someday

Posted by: GeorgeM | Feb 26, 2012 7:29:51 PM

19. This navy vet says "Thanks for your service Brandon." May you two guys have a long and happy life together.

Posted by: jack | Feb 26, 2012 7:30:45 PM

20. If you follow the link on JoeMyGod, Brandon's Facebook profile can be accessed. I sent him a message, telling him that I wasn't asking to be friended, but just wanted to thank him for his service, and this wonderful picture.

Posted by: TJ | Feb 26, 2012 9:05:59 PM

21. This will become a famous photo for history.

Posted by: Mitchell | Feb 26, 2012 9:09:58 PM

22. do the haters hate love???? that's what this pic shows is LOVE!

Posted by: Silas | Feb 26, 2012 9:40:25 PM

23. I used to be annoyed by Jason. Now I just pity him because he is clearly so miserable. Congratulations to these lovely men.

Posted by: ChristopherM | Feb 26, 2012 9:44:24 PM

24. Dalan Here, (The guy on the left in the photo)
    I have been such a longtime fan of this site. Always loved everything Andy has done with the content and have turned a lot of others on to the site as well. So you can imagine my surprise to find myself on here! Never in a million years would have thought that would happen. We are both so grateful for all the support and positive comments we have received. Never thought that a simple post to his facebook page could have gone so viral. We have been so happy since he got back but very busy. Saving up for a car and starting to pack for our move to New Orleans for his next duty station. We are wondering what the reaction will be on our base tomorrow when Brandon shows up for work. No one made a scene at the hangar when Brandon got off the bus and jumped into my arms. Now however the semi-private homecoming kiss has spread across facebook to everyone in his command. We are very grateful to our good friend Dave Lewis who took the photo. Thanks again everyone, and Andy for making the day of a Towleroad super fan!

Posted by: Dalan Wells | Feb 26, 2012 9:45:32 PM

25. Hey Dalan -- This is Brandon, the Towleroad weekend editor. So glad that you read us. Thank you for everything. - BKT

Posted by: Brandon K. Thorp | Feb 26, 2012 9:49:30 PM