I'm Gay | Matt Bomer | News

'White Collar' Actor Matt Bomer Comes Out of the Closet, Thanks Partner, Family: VIDEO

Bomer

Matt Bomer, who has up till now lived in a glass closet (most industry people knew) regarding his sexuality, made it public at an awards ceremony and in a magazine article last week. Bomer was given the New Generation Arts and Activism Award from the Steve Chase Humanitarian Awards on Saturday. In his award speech, he thanked his partner Simon Halls, and his three kids.

Matt_bomerSaid Bomer: "And I'd really especially like to thank my beautiful family: Simon, Kit, Walker, Henry. Thank you for teaching me what unconditional love is. You will always be my proudest accomplishment."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Bomer was also casually outed in an OK Magazine article late last week: "In his spare time, Matt admits that he wants to start a charity of his own. 'I think it's important to choose something that's really close to your heart. It would revolve around kids. If you can give kids a chance because they are what is carrying on our legacy.' The actor shares three kids with his partner, Simon Halls."

When asked by Details about rumors about his sexuality in 2010, Bomer answered, "I don't care about that at all. I'm completely happy and fulfilled in my personal life."

Comments

1. From the article: "Matt Bomer, who has up till now lived in a glass closet (most industry people knew)..."

Most industry people knew, along with all of his remotely serious fans, and anyone who bothered to google him. This was no big secret.

That said, he's handled his gradual coming out in the classy way with which he lives his life. I expect he'll mention his husband in an interview or two this year now - and probably address being gay directly when he talks about "The Normal Heart" - but I'm sure he hopes not to be defined by his gayness.

As a big fan of his, I also hope the roles he's offered won't be limited by this, but I am immensely proud of him.

Posted by: SG | Feb 13, 2012 11:47:21 AM

2. POOF

Who is Simon? His pet dog?! Sheez! Man has issuessss!!

He's out now, Twitter's gone crazy and all news blogs are reporting it! Doh! And to think he was thanking his pet rabbit Simon, as a partner, along as well as his three children!

Posted by: Rowan | Feb 13, 2012 11:53:51 AM

3. DAVID IN HOUSTON

But he publicly mentioned that his three kids were Kit, Walker and Henry....on the Today show.

Was he lying publicly and added a fourth, Simon?

Okay David.

You must be such a hoot to go for a drink with. Bitter party of one.

Posted by: Rowan | Feb 13, 2012 11:55:59 AM

4. His agent is going to land him roles that fit his career prospects. He has those dreamy leading man looks but his major TV role has one aspect that they'll look at above all others: ratings. The primary audience for leading man action movies is teenage boys. RomComs are somewhat of an iffy genre right now. Superhero roles need superstars to fill them. Aptow style rude comedies require comedic talent and usually feature shlubby guys. Where does he fit?

Posted by: anon | Feb 13, 2012 11:59:13 AM

5. SG

Well he is doing an bullying event in 2 days...so...

Like I've said before. This has been the most calculated coming out, supported and helped by his husband, super publicist extra-ordinaire.

Posted by: Rowan | Feb 13, 2012 12:00:00 PM

6. This was very reminiscent of when Jodie Foster thanked Sydney at an event that gets no television press and has little impact outside of the gay community. It's not like he brought them to the Emmy Awards and introduced them on the red carpet. As Poof said, he lumped his partner in with his children as his 'family.'

Yes, he is eeking himself out publicly, which is great. But sometimes we live in our own gay bubble where information that may be common knowledge to us isn't for the population at large.

With The Normal Heart and the Prop 8 play, Bomer is making a very clear move in the direction of being more visibly open and I think that's worth applauding, for sure.

Posted by: Erik | Feb 13, 2012 12:08:32 PM

7. It's not like Jodie because we also have the OK! magazine article mentioning Simon.

Posted by: Clem | Feb 13, 2012 12:21:40 PM

8. Well, he has proven that he can play the flirtatious ladies' man despite being gay.

Ironically, in the "White Collar" pilot he flirts with a lesbian character and is disappointed that she isn't in available

Posted by: Steve | Feb 13, 2012 12:27:04 PM

9. @Rowan,

first...there are as many gay guys who secretly wish for a straight guy to be gay as girls/women who wish outwardly and secretly for a gay guy to be straight. Just like people "wish" married men/women were unmarried. It is the allure of the intangible.

second...those are unfortunately the breaks to being an entertainer and the constraints. People want what they want and will pay to get it. They want skinny, beautiful women and strong, straight seeming men. Women must diet until they are malnurished and must have lip injections and hair extensions, men must not only be straight but unmarried and with washboard abs or else they lose their appeal in Hollyweird.

No one is forcing people to choose go into acting--especially television and movie acting where the constraints on your individuality and life are so severe. I really believe that anyone who wants to make it in Tinseltown must sell their soul in the process or else limit how powerful they will become.

Neil Patrick Harris found his balance. There are women who know he's gay and accept him as a lead because there's that "wink" and mischief, that knowing he's gay but asking you to come along for the ride.

And they do.

His comfortability with himself shines through and is sexy across the board...like TJs. No one here has actually seen him but everyone wants to marry him.

Stars like Jake Gyllanhal --this is wrong to say because no one knows for sure never having seen him have sex with a guy--but he is closeted and this lends an air of suspicion.

Brad Pitt, Tatum Channing, Chris Hemsworth, Robert Downy Jr. These men are stars, heartthrobs to straight women...because they are married and fulfill this dream that some women have by seeing them with their wives and children and imagining them in Angie's place. They fulfill the fantasy, ergo they will buy tickets.

Women by and large go see Rom Coms or Epic romances and want a level of suspension of disbelief just as men see action movies and need the same. No one wants to see an Action star who spends the rest of his year lookling like he could blow over with a strong gust of wind. I don't like Tom Cruise, but I can see where straight guys like him because he feeds them the idea that he's capable of doing the same stuff behind the scenes.

This is why I like what Leo DiCaprio had to say about not being seen in Hollywood and staying private. It enables people to just see you in a role without knowing you're a hot mess (ala Lohan) and only thinking about that while you're on screen.

Hollywood actors need to be a blank slate or give up being a star and settling for that middle ground...and there's nothing wrong with the middle ground--look what it did for Neil Patrick Harris's and Portia di Rossi.

I applaud Matt Bomer taking that step, accepting what it might cost him...that right there is integrity. He is saying, my family is more important than money.

Bravo. Bravo.

Posted by: Rin | Feb 13, 2012 12:32:17 PM

10. "He was OUT! ... Anyway, I knew he'd do it this way."

Do what, Rowan? If he was already out, what is it you think he just did?

Posted by: Andrew W | Feb 13, 2012 12:38:24 PM

11. The news is now on the front page of the Huffington Post and it's all over Yahoo too. You really can't say it's just gay people who are in the know.

Posted by: Clem | Feb 13, 2012 12:40:22 PM

12. Ever since Rudolph Valentino there's been the just-below-the-surface prejudice that men in theater/movies were gay (part jealousy at their exaggerated masculinity and prominence, part derision at their use of make-up and constume). Really, it would be better for more sports figures to come out, along with politicians, clergy, and business moguls.

Posted by: Chuck Mielke | Feb 13, 2012 12:52:15 PM

13. Andrew W

That he would buck down to warped pressure from mental gay media and community by deciding to publicly talk about being gay, at a charitable event.

Well, that's a lie.

Jodie Forster DID NOT have social media. This has been trending on twitter for hours.

Lastly, this was NOT a gay event. And the Desert people spent most of eve tweeting hot pics of Bomer to his straight fan gurls.

You live in a bubble if you think ANY gay blog reports about Bomer. They don't. Toweleroad NEVER does. Neither does Queerty.

In fact Simon and Bomer hodted the Family Equality Council dinner this saturday as well. It's for gay familes.

Where is Andy's blog post about this?

So trust. As a fan of Bomer. You guys know NOTHING about him. I get all my news from straight blogs, so get off your high horse, the gay community know nothing about the guy nor have they ever supported him.

RIN

Well, I know people who have hooked up with him....the problem is, unless you're an ass, you don't take pictures, esp if you are also partying with them. You will get ousted from the group.

You can gossip among friends but you don't blab to the media.

Trust, it's really easy to meet or catch these guys if you a) Live in a major b) Like partying.

I've done both.

Posted by: Rowan | Feb 13, 2012 12:54:01 PM

14. Frankly, I care about Matt Boemer's happiness. I would rather he never be worried about what others would say about him instead of letting his fear of losing his jobs get the best of him. Then again, Hollywood tends to be a bit difficult to understand these days. In my opinion, gay men and women have the right to be happy with themselves and of course they have the right to marry and be as miserable as straight married couples do anyway. I am a result of what my mom tried to teach me about life, shame I couldn't say the same thing about my father who doesn't really accept the gays as a whole. I wish he did.

Reality check, we are all part of God's divine plan. So why hate the gays and lesbians at all? We are special because we seek the best in ourselves. Frankly, I want to try my hand at writing an GLBT story because I want to.

Posted by: Natalie Alicia Norment | Feb 13, 2012 1:07:31 PM

15. "Ask 100 straight people if they knew that Matt was gay, and I'm guessing only a few would have known that."

I would first ask 100 straight people if they even knew who Matt Bomer was. I never registered him until the blogosphere started harping on him.

Posted by: Nat | Feb 13, 2012 1:13:00 PM

16. I really didn't know Bomer from gay blogs.

It was straight news. Texas Chainsaw Massacre anyone? HOT.

Posted by: Rowan | Feb 13, 2012 2:16:08 PM

17. I cannot believe that people are criticizing him for outing himself. No wonder most of my friends are straight. He's a great guy. What do you want of him?

Posted by: Paul R | Feb 13, 2012 2:35:40 PM

18. @DavidInHouston and @Poof:
    I agree with you two. I would have no idea from that speech whether he is gay, straight or bi without having background info about who these people he named are. Kit could be his FEMALE partner for all I know. Simon could be his Bassett Hound. Jodie Foster's "beautiful Sydney" could be her favorite city in Australia or her male publicist or her son or her husband for all the viewers know.
    When Jane Lynch thanks "my wife Lara," there's no ambiguity.

@HueMan: I disagree that the description is "grotesque.". Let's try:
    "Barack Obama shares two daughters with his partner Michelle.". Sounds more or less reasonable to me.
    I'd agree though that the wording in the press does, unfortunately, tend to get adjusted around gay people's families to sound a little less like family. To say that "he and his husband are raising three kids" sounds more clear and conventional.

Posted by: Gregv | Feb 13, 2012 2:36:57 PM

19. It's is all over the media. It is done, he is out. Anyone still debating likely has an axe to grind or just can't get beyond how he seems to do it all so perfectly.

Posted by: Connor | Feb 13, 2012 2:52:31 PM

20. @Rowan--"You live in a bubble if you think ANY gay blog reports about Bomer. They don't. Toweleroad NEVER does."

If you want evidence that Rowan doesn't have a clue what he is talking about just click on Bomer's name in yellow underneath the post above.

There are 13 Towleroad articles posted on Matt Bomer. So if Rowan equates NEVER with 13 times.... he needs some help with math.

Posted by: nope | Feb 13, 2012 3:14:44 PM

21. @GregV: But the speech wasn't made for you, nor was it made for the press. He made that speech in a room full of people there to honor him and others for their charity work. He attended the event WITH his husband. Everyone there would have known exactly who he was referring to. What do you need, show and tell??

Posted by: Lynda | Feb 13, 2012 3:18:49 PM

22. To the people complaining that he didn't specifically use the words "my husband" in his speech, neither he nor Simon are stupid. They knew exactly what the result of him mentioning Simon by name on that stage would be: the avalanche of articles that we are now seeing confirming that Matt is gay.

There was no attempt to "hide" anything, he was just giving his speech in a natural, non-showy way, but with the knowledge that he was outing himself to anyone not already privy to the information.

Class, people. Get some.

Posted by: SG | Feb 13, 2012 3:28:39 PM

23. She is a fortunate gay homosexual!

Posted by: Mrs Patrick Campbell | Feb 13, 2012 4:00:55 PM

24. Good for him .

Posted by: jaragon | Feb 13, 2012 6:01:16 PM

25. Wait. It's not official unless he throws a big parade with 100 drag queens & at least 50 go go boys. Or gets on a national magazine cover read by the mainstream. Because THAT is the only acceptable way for anyone to come out. And yes, I am being sarcastic.

Posted by: Mike | Feb 13, 2012 6:10:44 PM