Chris Gregoire | Gay Marriage | News | Washington

Washington Governor Chris Gregoire Signs Marriage Equality Bill Into Law: VIDEO

Waceremony

Here's video of today's inspiring ceremony at which Governor Chris Gregoire signed Washington's marriage equality bill into law. Gregoire's remarks are a must-watch. Also speaking, out gay Rep. Jamie Pedersen and state Senator Ed Murray.

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

The AP reports:

The state reception room at the Capitol was packed with gay rights supporters and at least 40 lawmakers from the House and Senate Sen. Ed Murray, a Seattle Democrat who is gay and has sponsored gay rights legislation for years, told the cheering crowd: "My friends, welcome to the other side of the rainbow. No matter what the future holds, nothing will take this moment away from us."

As the Democratic governor signed the legislation, a man shouted, "Do not betray Christ!" However, his voice was overwhelmed by gay-marriage supporters who cheered and spoke loudly during his outburst.

Bob Struble, 68, of Bremerton, was removed from the room and said he was given a warning by security. Struble said he believes the state will halt gay marriage in a public vote. "We'll be doing everything we can to overturn this unfortunate law," he said

Opponents are planning to file for a referendum that would put the measure before voters and, in the meantime, stop it from going into effect.

Comments

1. Note the timing: Gregoire planned this for the same day that his Eminence Cardinal FrothyMix landed in WA to hobnob with his NOM buddies.

Welcome to WA, Ricky!

Posted by: melvin | Feb 13, 2012 4:48:43 PM

2. Oh good God! There is another child out there named 'Trig'? WTF?!

Posted by: peterparker | Feb 13, 2012 4:58:55 PM

3. Fucktards should read their damn bible. Jesus Christ said NOTHING about homosexuality.

Posted by: QJ201 | Feb 13, 2012 5:27:43 PM

4. Damned christers always throwing tantrums at someone else's party.

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Feb 13, 2012 5:31:59 PM

5. Christ hung out with the out casts, the people who were mistreated by the majority, christ sought out the minority and welcomed them to the table Christ stands with and in support of the LGBT Community. Christ demanded love and respect for ALL. That is true christianity.
    God Bless this day and Washington State.

Posted by: Rev. Joseph Shore-Goss | Feb 13, 2012 6:00:49 PM

6. Going to the link of the Ryan Phillipe story, I encountered an annoying pop-up that covered half of the story.
    Going to the link on Kellan Lutz in a turtle neck, I was quite underwhelmed.
    Adam Huber, on the other hand, was worth the look.

Posted by: Ken | Feb 13, 2012 6:04:48 PM

7. I've heard for the first time, and wondering if any Washingtonians can clue me further, there are two ways in which marriage equality opponents can seek a voter "veto" on the law just signed??? One requires a mere 120K signatures and would halt enactment of the law until the November election. That's the one I've been hearing about all along. Is there another avenue, called more properly a "referendum," that requires twice as many signatures and, more important, would not stop the law's enactment until the election.

Is this true? I'm officially confused.

Posted by: Zlick | Feb 13, 2012 6:55:58 PM

8. @ZLICK There is just one way, but it's a two-part process. First they need to gather the required signatures to get the referendum on the ballot, then they need to get enough votes on the referendum for it to become law. We're now in a waiting period to see if the required signatures are collected within the 90 days (June 7).

Posted by: SammySeattle | Feb 13, 2012 7:44:37 PM

9. For a new suspense novel about Dead Sea Scrolls that detail Jesus' life-partner (John, "the disciple whom Jesus loved"), check out www.CarpeKairos.com.

Posted by: Paul Hartman | Feb 13, 2012 7:58:41 PM

10. Incredibly moving. I was smiling ear to ear and choked up a little. Just wonderful and CONGRATS WASHINGTON!!!!

Posted by: WayneMPLS | Feb 13, 2012 8:19:41 PM

11. Actually, SammySeattle, there's also an initiative movement which would pass a law that states marriage is between a man and a woman. The initiative would take more signatures to get on the ballot than the referendum on the law that Gregoire just signed.

So...we're not done. (sigh)

Posted by: jay_max | Feb 13, 2012 9:30:45 PM

12. This was impressive. The Governor, all the people involved. The passion. Satisfaction. Confidence. If being gay meant more to me I would be even more impressed, but it seems like only an aspect, nothing more. To others it will be a huge aspect and they get the larger joy. But we all benefit regardless of differences. It's progress in action.

Posted by: uffda | Feb 13, 2012 10:09:18 PM

13. Proud to be Washingtonian :)

Posted by: Akira | Feb 13, 2012 10:22:39 PM

14. This is great news for many people...until tomorrow when NOM files a lawsuit to try to have the law repealed. And yes, they have already stated that they will try to fight it: http://www.nomblog.com/19303/

Hopefully judges in Washington don't help them out by staying the law while the law is being challenged unconstitutionally.

One final note, the "umbrella corporation" sited on NOM's blog, Preserve Marriage Washington, has its website registered to NOM, so I'm positive that it's just a shell "company" for NOM.

Posted by: Garst | Feb 14, 2012 1:00:28 AM

15. I was there, in the room, at the signing today. I was standing directly behind Struble who was flashing his Press Pass around trying to get better proximity for his spewing. He was booed and shut down quickly both by the crowd and the State Police. I never thought I would ever be able to say this, but I am happy to say that I am now an engaged man. My partner of 21 years proposed to me after the signing in the reception room. I am over the moon and a very happy man.

Posted by: Carter | Feb 14, 2012 1:55:40 AM

16. As I understand it:

Referendum - law refered by the legislature to a public vote or a passed law for which enough signatures have been collected so that a public vote is required.

Initiative - a law that is proposed by a citizen group. Because it has not gone through the state legislature, there is a higher signature threshold.

Posted by: GeoffreyPS | Feb 14, 2012 3:02:27 AM