News | Roland Martin

BigGayDeal.com

CNN's Roland Martin Suspended Over Homophobic Tweets

R_martinAfter days of pressure from GLAAD over tweets CNN contributor Roland Martin wrote during the Super Bowl, one in which he mocked men who wear pink, and another in which he advocated violence toward men attracted to men (specifically, male fans of David Beckham), the cable news network has taken action and suspended Martin.

Writes the network in a statement:

“Roland Martin’s tweets were regrettable and offensive. Language that demeans is inconsistent with the values and culture of our organization, and is not tolerated. We have been giving careful consideration to this matter, and Roland will not be appearing on our air for the time being.”

Martin posted two apologies on his blog since the Super Bowl, one of which said, in part:

One of Martin's offensive tweets:

Martin_tweet

GLAAD released a statement in response to Martin's suspension:

“CNN today took a strong stand against anti-LGBT violence and language that demeans any community,” said GLAAD spokesperson Rich Ferraro. “Yesterday, Martin also spoke out against anti-LGBT violence. We look forward to hearing from CNN and Roland Martin to discuss how we can work together as allies and achieve our common goal of reducing such violence as well as the language that contributes to it.”

Comments

1. He (and his three chins) should have been fired. Also too, using a picnic napkin as an ascot is a fashion offense.

Posted by: Kippy | Feb 8, 2012 2:48:52 PM

2. Without condoning bigotry or stupidity, if he seems to understand the problem with what he did, can we forgive him and move on?

Posted by: Demian | Feb 8, 2012 2:50:34 PM

3. These people make bank being a talking head. When they say something stupid or hateful that the whole nation can hear they should get canned. Good luck in whatever your new career is..

Posted by: Tom in long beach | Feb 8, 2012 2:53:49 PM

4. I'm sure he'll land on his feet at Fox News.

Posted by: Michael W. | Feb 8, 2012 2:54:01 PM

5. This seems to be an appropriate punishment for his STUPID remarks but he had better watch himself in the future. Otherwise, he'll be looking for a job, probably over at Fox (whose tag line should be "Bigots Welcome")

Posted by: RonTEX | Feb 8, 2012 2:56:49 PM

6. I hope CNN will also suspend or fire their political contributor Erick Erickson, who has also made bigoted and homophobic remarks in the past as well as extremely offensive comments about President Obama and the First Lady. I see no reason why Erickson should be allowed to stay on the air considering HIS history.

Posted by: Cheech | Feb 8, 2012 2:57:01 PM

7. The thing about tweets is you only get so much text space. He could have--could have, mind you--been saying anyone who would wear H&M underwear or got excited about fashion during a football game should be slapped.

To which I agree.

I hate social media...

Then again, I know zip nada nothing about this guy. So maybe he is a homophobe. I really don't know.

Posted by: Rin | Feb 8, 2012 3:06:25 PM

8. They should have fired his stupid ass.

Posted by: Chris in SF | Feb 8, 2012 3:07:54 PM

9. "As someone who has spoken out forcefully against bigotry against African Americans and other minorities, as well as sexism against women, I fully understand how a group who has been unfairly treated would be offended by such comments, and, again, I am sorry for any offense my remarks caused."

Notice that there is no specific mention of the LGBT community in Roland Martin's non-apology. He mentions African-Americans and women, which is good, but not gays. He needs to be FIRED.

Posted by: elg/edwin | Feb 8, 2012 3:10:39 PM

10. Now watch.

Some clever trousers "media" type will write the headline,

"CNN Smacks the Ish Out of Roland Martin"

Posted by: Girl Please Stop! | Feb 8, 2012 3:37:28 PM

11. This is a new era. The consequences of one's actions are instantaneous due to social media. Roland Martin, due to his profession, should have been well aware of this. This makes you, Mr. Martin, a blithering idiot.

Posted by: Jason | Feb 8, 2012 3:50:40 PM

12. Weak apology -- what he said reflects how he feels. That's fine. Does CNN want someone they now know is a bigot on their network? Hope Anderson is all over this. No, this shouldn't be forgiven & forgotten. He should be fired.

Posted by: Swine | Feb 8, 2012 3:55:45 PM

13. And I thought he was awful before his tweeting. It took CNN long enough, but I guess this is good, although that apology could be classified as coming from the "kicking and screaming" dept.

Posted by: LincolnLounger | Feb 8, 2012 3:59:59 PM

14. Clutch those pearls girls, clutch em good!

Am I the only one who wasn't really offended by the tweets?

Posted by: Brandon H | Feb 8, 2012 4:05:05 PM

15. Why do people feel the need to broadcast every insipid, stupid thought that crosses their minds? Enough with the twitter crap already.

Posted by: jim | Feb 8, 2012 4:08:14 PM

16. UGLY...Negroee...

Posted by: sonnied | Feb 8, 2012 4:11:16 PM

17. "Does CNN want someone they now know is a bigot on their network?"

Apparently they DO because the bigot/homophobic Erick Erickson is still one of CNN's major political contributors, but evidently they think that's perfectly fine. Erickson has never apologized for his comments.

Posted by: Cheech | Feb 8, 2012 4:12:54 PM

18. I wasn't overly offended, Brandon. But that's SOLELY because of the individual who made the tweets. Roland Martin is a joke and a bigoted loser, so nothing he says means anything to me.

With that said, he most certainly needed to be reprimanded so it's good to see CNN has at least done something regarding this matter. Now, we'll see how long this suspension lasts, and what happens from here.

Posted by: Francis | Feb 8, 2012 4:26:48 PM

19. Suspended? That boy should be expelled! (This is a quotation.)

Posted by: Paul R | Feb 8, 2012 5:31:23 PM

20. Again..stupud black...

Posted by: allid | Feb 8, 2012 6:00:15 PM

21. This is a man who's against all gay rights causes across the board. I take his apology with a grain of salt and a middle finger up. His actions AND speech have been anti gay. My living room has no room for him on our television set.

Posted by: Michelle | Feb 8, 2012 7:14:42 PM

22. Ignore the racist trolls, and if anyone does respond to them, I will take it that it's you making those troll posts and responding to yourself (as opposed to ignoring it)

Secondly...The recent beatings in Atlanta, in Houston, In Long Beach, in NYC and the many, many, many anti gay beatings do prove words have power and lead to destruction and negative consequences. That man knew EXACTLY what he was saying and exactly what he was doing when he made that tweet and I for one will not stand for people making dangerous comments for our gay youth ANY MORE. You WILL be taken to task. In a time when gay kids take enough crap as is, any public figure who publically makes anti gay viewpoints will not get it easy from me and the many people I know. ENOUGH of tolerating intolerance.

Posted by: YellowRiseCake | Feb 8, 2012 7:18:31 PM

23. I'm so sick of these apologies, and it's constantly comments made related to LGBT. They make it, say gay slurs, then come and apologize. Skrew that. DON'T SAY IT IN THE FIRST PLACE. This whole lame dance of: homophobic comment, apology, "aww, all better now" is getting tired. Time to set an example that maybe people should *think* before making homophobic statements.

People think before putting a latino, jew, black person, Christian, female down...but when it coems to gays, they show their ish and then say "OOps. sorry"

Posted by: Aaron | Feb 8, 2012 7:21:54 PM

24. DUDE, REAL men don't wear ascots... unless they're AT Ascot.

Posted by: Michael Lassell | Feb 8, 2012 7:34:55 PM

25. Roland Martin’s form of cavalierly swaggering stupidity has overshadowed my entire adult existence! In the 1980's, I'd travel midweek from my judicial clerkship's offices on the Bethesda bound DC Metro to visit friends being treated at the NIH or Bethesda Naval Hospital's AIDS Ward, en route or before departing or after exhaustingly cheerleading my friends that they could hold on until a cure arrives, I'd hear this sort of moronic pundit's blabber for which they garnered great salaries for denigrating the weakest Americans among us. Too much, too long, and way too over the top to tolerate in this modern day & age! The spiritedly phenomenal men I accompanied along their unchosen paths to way too early demises so outweigh the moral insignificance of this charlatan Martin. Gravediggers I've met in my life, as simple and solemn their duties are, stand heads above the sort of "sound-booth" pontificators such as Martin, who dare to chuckle as they toss gasoline upon the discussion of personal worth at which they easily scoff. If I believed in Hell's Brimstone, my deceased-from-a-disease friends who have been freed from their earthly sufferings would have Heavenly 50-yard-line seats as the Roland Martins roast on the gridiron spits they craftily fashioned with their hateful sarcasm. Thing is, none of my friends would have relished seeing humans suffer as had they! Intellectually, I know that Martin and his ilk are the least consequential of persons once we all realize that hatred in any form is deadly. Getting beyond their snide venom has been really difficult for me, however.

Posted by: Thomas Cardellino | Feb 8, 2012 8:05:33 PM