CNN’s Roland Martin Suspended Over Homophobic Tweets

R_martinAfter days of pressure from GLAAD over tweets CNN contributor Roland Martin wrote during the Super Bowl, one in which he mocked men who wear pink, and another in which he advocated violence toward men attracted to men (specifically, male fans of David Beckham), the cable news network has taken action and suspended Martin.

Writes the network in a statement:

“Roland Martin’s tweets were regrettable and offensive. Language that demeans is inconsistent with the values and culture of our organization, and is not tolerated. We have been giving careful consideration to this matter, and Roland will not be appearing on our air for the time being.”

Martin posted two apologies on his blog since the Super Bowl, one of which said, in part:

One of Martin's offensive tweets:

Martin_tweet

GLAAD released a statement in response to Martin's suspension:

“CNN today took a strong stand against anti-LGBT violence and language that demeans any community,” said GLAAD spokesperson Rich Ferraro. “Yesterday, Martin also spoke out against anti-LGBT violence. We look forward to hearing from CNN and Roland Martin to discuss how we can work together as allies and achieve our common goal of reducing such violence as well as the language that contributes to it.”

Comments

1. Tom in long beach says

These people make bank being a talking head. When they say something stupid or hateful that the whole nation can hear they should get canned. Good luck in whatever your new career is..

2. RonTEX says

This seems to be an appropriate punishment for his STUPID remarks but he had better watch himself in the future. Otherwise, he’ll be looking for a job, probably over at Fox (whose tag line should be “Bigots Welcome”)

3. Cheech says

I hope CNN will also suspend or fire their political contributor Erick Erickson, who has also made bigoted and homophobic remarks in the past as well as extremely offensive comments about President Obama and the First Lady. I see no reason why Erickson should be allowed to stay on the air considering HIS history.

4. Rin says

The thing about tweets is you only get so much text space. He could have–could have, mind you–been saying anyone who would wear H&M underwear or got excited about fashion during a football game should be slapped.

To which I agree.

I hate social media…

Then again, I know zip nada nothing about this guy. So maybe he is a homophobe. I really don’t know.

5. elg/edwin says

“As someone who has spoken out forcefully against bigotry against African Americans and other minorities, as well as sexism against women, I fully understand how a group who has been unfairly treated would be offended by such comments, and, again, I am sorry for any offense my remarks caused.”

Notice that there is no specific mention of the LGBT community in Roland Martin’s non-apology. He mentions African-Americans and women, which is good, but not gays. He needs to be FIRED.

6. Jason says

This is a new era. The consequences of one’s actions are instantaneous due to social media. Roland Martin, due to his profession, should have been well aware of this. This makes you, Mr. Martin, a blithering idiot.

7. Swine says

Weak apology — what he said reflects how he feels. That’s fine. Does CNN want someone they now know is a bigot on their network? Hope Anderson is all over this. No, this shouldn’t be forgiven & forgotten. He should be fired.

8. LincolnLounger says

And I thought he was awful before his tweeting. It took CNN long enough, but I guess this is good, although that apology could be classified as coming from the “kicking and screaming” dept.

9. Cheech says

“Does CNN want someone they now know is a bigot on their network?”

Apparently they DO because the bigot/homophobic Erick Erickson is still one of CNN’s major political contributors, but evidently they think that’s perfectly fine. Erickson has never apologized for his comments.

10. Francis says

I wasn’t overly offended, Brandon. But that’s SOLELY because of the individual who made the tweets. Roland Martin is a joke and a bigoted loser, so nothing he says means anything to me.

With that said, he most certainly needed to be reprimanded so it’s good to see CNN has at least done something regarding this matter. Now, we’ll see how long this suspension lasts, and what happens from here.

11. Michelle says

This is a man who’s against all gay rights causes across the board. I take his apology with a grain of salt and a middle finger up. His actions AND speech have been anti gay. My living room has no room for him on our television set.

12. YellowRiseCake says

Ignore the racist trolls, and if anyone does respond to them, I will take it that it’s you making those troll posts and responding to yourself (as opposed to ignoring it)

Secondly…The recent beatings in Atlanta, in Houston, In Long Beach, in NYC and the many, many, many anti gay beatings do prove words have power and lead to destruction and negative consequences. That man knew EXACTLY what he was saying and exactly what he was doing when he made that tweet and I for one will not stand for people making dangerous comments for our gay youth ANY MORE. You WILL be taken to task. In a time when gay kids take enough crap as is, any public figure who publically makes anti gay viewpoints will not get it easy from me and the many people I know. ENOUGH of tolerating intolerance.

13. Aaron says

I’m so sick of these apologies, and it’s constantly comments made related to LGBT. They make it, say gay slurs, then come and apologize. Skrew that. DON’T SAY IT IN THE FIRST PLACE. This whole lame dance of: homophobic comment, apology, “aww, all better now” is getting tired. Time to set an example that maybe people should *think* before making homophobic statements.

People think before putting a latino, jew, black person, Christian, female down…but when it coems to gays, they show their ish and then say “OOps. sorry”

14. Thomas Cardellino says

Roland Martin’s form of cavalierly swaggering stupidity has overshadowed my entire adult existence! In the 1980’s, I’d travel midweek from my judicial clerkship’s offices on the Bethesda bound DC Metro to visit friends being treated at the NIH or Bethesda Naval Hospital’s AIDS Ward, en route or before departing or after exhaustingly cheerleading my friends that they could hold on until a cure arrives, I’d hear this sort of moronic pundit’s blabber for which they garnered great salaries for denigrating the weakest Americans among us. Too much, too long, and way too over the top to tolerate in this modern day & age! The spiritedly phenomenal men I accompanied along their unchosen paths to way too early demises so outweigh the moral insignificance of this charlatan Martin. Gravediggers I’ve met in my life, as simple and solemn their duties are, stand heads above the sort of “sound-booth” pontificators such as Martin, who dare to chuckle as they toss gasoline upon the discussion of personal worth at which they easily scoff. If I believed in Hell’s Brimstone, my deceased-from-a-disease friends who have been freed from their earthly sufferings would have Heavenly 50-yard-line seats as the Roland Martins roast on the gridiron spits they craftily fashioned with their hateful sarcasm. Thing is, none of my friends would have relished seeing humans suffer as had they! Intellectually, I know that Martin and his ilk are the least consequential of persons once we all realize that hatred in any form is deadly. Getting beyond their snide venom has been really difficult for me, however.

15. Lee chevalier says

O cmon… His wife rather famously ‘helped him in ex-gay therapy. His friendship includes sex bishop Eddie Long. He’s a reaaly big girl. That said, he thinks he makes regular fun of how unmanly soccer is, not that he can play football. Tweets do not drive public attitudes, they just betray them. So now you know, as if you’re all pretending you didn’t know already.

16. Jon says

BRANDON H: I wasn’t either. Beside most men can’t wear pink and I wouldn’t buy David B underwear. It made his behind look too flat.

Maybe just a little tolerance and it will be returned.

17. grego says

I value CNN when they demonstrate fairness like this. So this guy had his Mel Gibson momement. Hopefully it’ll be his last such comment. He knows people will be watching.

18. jack says

“For the time being”. He should be fired. He should alo be forced to watch the video of the criminal thugs in Atlanta beating a man that they believed did not meet their standards of masculinity. Clearly tweets by this homophobe about how violence should be used against men who do not meet his standards of masculinity encourage a climate of intolerance.

19. Mel Smith says

I’m glad Roland Martin was suspended. However, the race baiting from some of you is downright pathetic. The racists and the homophobes are one in the same.

20. Mike W says

I’m a jeans and T-shirt bear type myself, so don’t really care much about fashion. That being said, won’t somebody please take Roland aside and tell him his fashion sense is not aligning with the homophobe attitude he wants to project?

21. alex says

I am not a gay witch-hunter. For example, I think the Ravi kid from the Clementi case is getting prosecuted out of proportion to the extent of his actions.

No pity here for Roland Martin who doth protest too much and has male on male sex pre-occupying his mind in a curiously non-male heterosexual way. He advocated violence against a man because said man found another man attractive. Casually. “Oh. Haha. J/K guys!”

Screw that. HE SHOULD BE FIRED.

22. wimsy says

“I am sorry for any offense my remarks caused.”

He acts as if there’s some doubt that his remarks were offensive. Or maybe those who are too sensitive were offended.

Another non-apology by another bigot.

23. Hollywood, CA says

Methinks “SHE” doth protest too much. The fashion and the anti-gay comments? To take the time to tweet about a guy in a pink suit? To tweet about David Beckham’s underwear? You know who takes time to say stuff like that? Closeted Gays. Every time! They get so scared someone is going to call them out for looking, so they do a preemptive strike. I mean, scanning the crowd for gays, then calling them out, then asking for violence… no one can “beat” the gay out of you Roland. Sad.

24. Kippy says

The racist remarks are obviously being submitted by pro-Roland Martin trolls. Also, if you want to see what Martin is really about, go on over to his blog where he writes about how his minister wife has successfully led gays and lesbians away from their “lifestyle.”

Fire him. Now. And ignore the trolls who are trying to make the commenters on this blog look like racists. Pathetic attempt and it won’t work. The issue here is homophobia.

25. Eric says

Why is all of this a surprise? Roland Martin has been very up front about his homophobia for years. He has even mocked gay people for supporting President Obama since Obama said he was against gay marriage. Martin should have been dumped long ago, and now it took some tweets to do it? Bizarre.