Dallas | Gay Marriage | Law - Gay, LGBT | News | Texas | Tonya Parker

Gay Dallas Judge Won't Perform Marriages for Straight Couples Until She Can Get Married as Well: VIDEO

Dallas County Judge Tonya Parker, the first LGBT person elected judge in Dallas County and believed to be the first openly LGBT African-American elected official in Texas history according to the Dallas Voice, refuses to perform marriage ceremonies for heterosexual couples until she too can get married.

ParkerThe Voice reports: "The mention of her decision to not perform marriage ceremonies came while the 116th Civil District Court judge addressed the audience at the monthly meeting of Stonewall Democrats of Dallas, of which Parker is a member."

Said Parker:

“I use it as my opportunity to give them a lesson about marriage inequality in this state because I feel like I have to tell them why I’m turning them away. So I usually will offer them something along the lines of ‘I’m sorry. I don’t perform marriage ceremonies because we are in a state that does not have marriage equality, and until it does, I am not going to partially apply the law to one group of people that doesn’t apply to another group of people.’ And it’s kind of oxymoronic for me to perform ceremonies that can’t be performed for me, so I’m not going to do it.”

Watch Parker discuss LGBT issues in her courtroom, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. What is a Freeper troll?

Posted by: Fenrox | Feb 24, 2012 3:25:40 PM

2. Or a wingnutdaily troll -- they're all over this story too.

I say kudos to you, judge!

Posted by: KevinVT | Feb 24, 2012 5:01:44 PM

3. GOOD FOR HER!!!!! LOVE IT!!!!

Posted by: Shannon | Feb 24, 2012 11:49:47 PM

4. @Mike C, in Texas couples do not request a marriage license from a judge. Marriage licenses are issued by the County Clerk for a fee of approximately $65.00. The judge only performs a marriage ceremony. They are not required to do so as part of their job. They do so as a courtesy to the couple. By not marrying anyone, the judge is not being discriminatory to anyone, gay or straight and is not violating any state statute. Her legal qualification are well established and she is definitely more than educated and experienced enough to understand the implications of her stand.

Posted by: vanndean | Feb 25, 2012 12:32:13 AM

5. Judge Parker is WONDERFUL! Smart, witty, accessible in thought (based on the vid) and beautiful. We need more like her.

Posted by: jim | Feb 25, 2012 8:23:10 AM

6. Only in bassackward Texas would a judge lose an election for being non-discriminatory.
    Brava, Judge Parker!

Posted by: Roger | Feb 25, 2012 10:35:04 AM

7. The same people who say she is a public servant and is thus compelled to do her job are the ones who would say Church organizations can't be compelled to offer services they disagree with, even though they take significant state and federal money.

Posted by: bay area john | Feb 25, 2012 3:47:12 PM

8. Certain persons in each State have the RIGHT to Marry persons in their State. NON are Required to do so. For example, the Governor of New York chose to marry the first Gay couple. That does not mean that he HAS to marry anyone else if he chooses not to.

Posted by: Jerry6 | Feb 25, 2012 8:32:23 PM

9. She should lose her job as a judge if she refuses to perform all the duties expected of a judge.It makes no sense to discriminate against innocent straight people in order to get back at a society that discriminates against you.

Posted by: jack | Feb 26, 2012 7:38:16 PM