2012 Election | Daniel Radcliffe | News | Ryan Gosling

Daniel Radcliffe 'Disgusted' by Anti-Gay GOP Presidential Candidates, Has Man Crush on Ryan Gosling

Radcliffe

Once again, Daniel Radcliffe demonstrates that he's one of the smartest actors out there, and best advocates for LGBT rights. In an Attitude magazine cover story which I picked up on the iPad, Radcliffe talks at length about anti-gay bullying and why straight kids should show their support. He also has good taste in men.

Daniel_radcliffeSays Radcliffe:

"Don't define yourself by your sexuality, don't define as straight or gay, define yourself as people and help another person if they're in trouble. The ultimate reason gay marriage should be legalized everywhere is because, as a kid, you look to your mum and dad and they're married, then you look at the gay couple who've been together for the same amount of time, but because they can't get married their relationship doesn't seem the same. Yes, gay marriage is about symbolically blessing a relationship, but the larger issue is about transmitting a fundamental message about equality. Gay people should have equality in law everywhere. If you grow up as a young gay man knowing you dont' have the same opportuniteies as everyone else, you're going to feel victimised and massive prejudice towards you."

Radcliffe slammed religion's influence on schools and the religious Right's efforts to affect legislation affecting LGBT people:

"I'm not religious, I'm an atheist, and a militant atheist when religion starts impacting on legislation. We need sex education in schools. Schools have to talk to kids from a young age about relationships, gay and straight."

The article notes that Radcliffe has been "disgusted, amazed, stunned" by GOP candidates like Rick Santorum and Michele Bachmann, and their open hostility to gay rights. But he has a special dislike of one in particular:

"...they disgusted me less than candidates like Rick Perry, who made that ridiculous advert wearing 'the Brokeback jacket', and I think pretend to be homophobic just to win votes."

Radcliffe also says he wishes Obama could come out for marriage equality but understands the political underpinnings behind his position:

"Yes, I do, but can he really? Of course he's in favour of it, but he has to be careful about saying so. I'd rather have someone like him in the White House than the alternative."

Finally, has Radcliffe ever considered that he might be gay? Yes. Is he?

"No. I can quite happily say someone is handsome, good-looking, and I can see why someone would want to f**k them, but I've never felt that way about a man myself. There is that moment in your late teens when you ask yourself the question, 'Am I?' but I wasn't...Well, this year I have a talent crush on Ryan Gosling. I think he's fantastic and...(ahem) you know he'd be nice afterwards. He seems smart. If I was gay, I would go for a smart man."

Comments

1. So impressed by this guy. I simply cannot imagine what it is like to grow up gay today, and be able to read these words said by a famous young actor. In my day, it was people wearing masks and fake moustaches on Donahue.

Yet, another gay kid was bullied to death. It seems a lot, but I actually suspect it's less than it was back then. It just gets reported now, because people are starting to care about it.

People like Daniel can make it OK for others to make a difference in their communities. It's changing. Slowly.

Posted by: Randy | Feb 7, 2012 12:54:14 AM

2. I've always loved Dan as an actor...such talent there. But now I love him even more. He's so intelligent and wise for someone so young. He has such great potential to be whatever he chooses to do in life...even if that's not acting. Bravo to Dan.

Posted by: Pan | Feb 7, 2012 12:42:19 PM

3. And it works, obviously. Congratulations Dan.

Posted by: Gabe R L | Feb 7, 2012 3:07:40 PM

4. Most of us now get that we are, more and more, a GLOBAL community. Not individual areas or countries. What happens in one part of the world affects us all so we all have right and responsibility to follow what happens AND we all have right to our opinion. I agree with most of what he says and somehow doesnt come across as the typical up-their-own-ass celeb whose surrounding syncophants have them believing they're expert on everything. I wish more us would focus on HUMAN rights and GLOBAL issues not just certain groups or communities. Good for you Daniel.

Posted by: marie | Feb 7, 2012 3:36:31 PM

5. Smart kid, but why does Obama get a pass? Keeping mum about gay marriage to attract votes is equally disgusting as Rick Perry.

Posted by: Curious | Feb 7, 2012 4:12:05 PM

6. Thor -- Daniel Radcliffe lives in NYC now, perhaps he's planning on becoming a US citizen?

Posted by: Dan Collier | Feb 11, 2012 8:30:14 AM

7. @Thor - no need for Daniel to have dreams of grandeur or "dreams" of anything else for that matter. At age 21 he's the star of the most successful movie franchise in history, has starred in the legitimate theatre with his name above the title in both London and NYC, has already released a successful follow-up to the "Potter" series, has at least 3 more big money movie deals lined up and is a multi-millionaire. And Thor, aside from writing snarky comments concerning things you know absolutely nothing about, your major claim to fame (or delusion of grandeur) is?

Posted by: Tyron | Feb 13, 2012 4:26:00 PM

8. I love him. He's really intelligent and I think it's great he's able to say he's an Atheist. BTW, Obama is a gay rights supporter. Like Radcliffe said he would come out in total support of gay marriage if he could but it's a tricky situation. At least he is in favor of gay rights, unlike any of the Republican candidates. I'd much rather have someone like Obama in the white house than the alternative.

Posted by: Mike | Feb 16, 2012 3:42:06 PM

9. @Tank

Don't know how you can tell everyone else is "aging badly," but it's quite clear you're ugly on the inside.

Also clear it sucks to be you.

Posted by: Ronster | Feb 24, 2012 2:18:37 PM

10. I believe that it is wrong for the government to decide whether or not gay people can get married in America, if you truly think about it preventing them from getting married is unconstitutional. It violates the basic ideas America was founded on John Locke's ideas of natural rights. We all have the right to liberty, property, and more importantly the pursuit of happiness. It also violates the 9th amendment stating that people have rights not stated in the constitution.

Posted by: Michalya | Jun 9, 2012 6:00:04 PM