Kiss | News | Soap Operas

BigGayDeal.com

'Days of Our Lives' Gets a Big First Gay Kiss: VIDEO

Willhorton

Today Days of Our Lives had its first same-sex kiss. A storyline I posted about back in November and before that, July, is starting to come into its own.

Get caught up (spoilers), AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. The fact that it's still taboo in 2012 for two dudes to kiss on TV gets to me. I guess if the most powerful man in the world(Obama)thinks we are second class citizens why should the rest of the world feel differently? He usually sticks up for all other minorities except us. His evolution is taking forever.

Posted by: Chris in SF | Feb 23, 2012 8:24:12 PM

2. HOT HOT HOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Posted by: Alan | Feb 23, 2012 8:27:37 PM

3. We can disagree about whether seeing two guys kiss is hot, but in terms of neutralizing the opposition it surely is effective. It was due to the Noah-Luke-Reid gay love triangle on "As the World Turns" that I started getting more interested in gay issues overall and ended up a regular reader of Towleroad. Interestingly enough, seeing Luke and Reid kiss was not at all awkward (I was like "WTF, aren't I supposed to be BOTHERED by this?") but hearing one gay man call another gay man "baby" felt somewhat awkward. Although I'm not sure it would feel that way if I heard it again.

So I can tell you from experience that campaigning for gay relationships to be portrayed on TV is a far more effective strategy than calling all opposition "hateful" or "theocratic."

Posted by: Mary | Feb 23, 2012 8:37:53 PM

4. My god that was disappointing. I don't watch this show, but I was hoping he'd kiss the cutie with black hair.

Posted by: Jason 2 | Feb 23, 2012 8:43:01 PM

5. Thats hot! I've never watched DOOL but I'm glad they have a gay storyline going.

@Chris in SF. What's your obsession with Obama. A kiss on a soap has zero to do with politics and POTUS. smh

Posted by: Mike Lewis | Feb 23, 2012 8:48:39 PM

6. This show moves painfully slowly, but it's still nice to see gays on daytime. Nothing will ever match the intensity of the Luke and Noah As The World Turns storyline -- and the show banned them from kissing for nearly a year -- but I applaud the effort.

Posted by: Robert | Feb 23, 2012 8:53:17 PM

7. I agree with Jason 2. And, if you're reading ahead. The interesting scene starts at about 7:30, above.

Posted by: Alan | Feb 23, 2012 8:56:49 PM

8. Actually Jason 2, as someone who watches the show and has for decades, it is kind of nice that they didn't go the obvious route by pairing the already out character (the black haired cutie) and his friend (the blond boy) who is still finding himself. Instead Sonny (black hair) is being a friend and a guide and I think it is both a more original route to go and I think it is nice to have friendships on telly that don't end up in sex. I Hope one day they will be paired but it is nice that they chose to go more subtle for Will's slow coming out.

Posted by: nhuixnhuix | Feb 23, 2012 9:04:07 PM

9. It looked like two drunk straight guys pawing at each other. The fact Will had to be drunk before the kiss was pathetic.

...and whatever you do, don't let Mr. Roper find out, otherwise he'll kick Will out of the apartment, and Janet and Chrissy will have to find a new roommate!

Posted by: David in Houston | Feb 23, 2012 9:10:32 PM

10. Really? Is that how young gay men interact these days?

Oh, and making out in the hallway on the way to the john?

My, what progress we've made...

Posted by: BobN | Feb 23, 2012 9:18:01 PM

11. This would have been news back in 1990.

Posted by: scollingsworth | Feb 23, 2012 9:46:13 PM

12. A. My grandmother did NOT look like that!
    B. Why do guys who kiss on tv look like they are trying to smash each other's face off with their mouth. I prefer to do it with my tongue. Mind you, I would take whatever I could get from either of those hotties.

Posted by: John | Feb 23, 2012 9:50:17 PM

13. Yeah, that looked like an attack, not a kiss.

Also, I see no problem with the location. I kissed one ex in similar circumstances. Granted, she followed me there and at first I thought she was a little obnoxious but decided to give her the benefit of the doubt. It payed, for a while.

Posted by: Syrax | Feb 23, 2012 10:03:16 PM

14. such horrible acting....horrible horrible acting; god I miss soap operas.

Posted by: Dana Chilton | Feb 23, 2012 10:15:24 PM

15. I disagree, Dana Chilton. I thought the light haired boy was an excellent actor. Very natural.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Feb 23, 2012 10:58:18 PM

16. I thought it looked awkward and uncomfortable, not hot.

Posted by: fanboi | Feb 23, 2012 11:58:18 PM

17. @ NHUIXNHUIX

Well, honestly they are both just so cute I wanted to see them kiss nicely (i.e., not how the kissing ended up in the end anyway). Disappointing, I say!

The blond one has an adorable smile though.

Posted by: Jason 2 | Feb 24, 2012 12:01:30 AM

18. that kiss looked a little stiff, and not in a good way

Posted by: Sully | Feb 24, 2012 12:19:26 AM

19. Clumsy kissing! Slow down fellas! Who directed this anyway?

Posted by: Daniel | Feb 24, 2012 12:43:46 AM

20. Oh Mary always so eloquent.

Posted by: Stuart | Feb 24, 2012 12:57:13 AM

21. Oh brother...just alot of head banging and no steam! Even mouth-to-mouth CPR has more passion than that! Hope the actors didn't get a nose bleed during the taping!

Posted by: Sam | Feb 24, 2012 1:24:42 AM

22. On a scale of 1 - 10 . . . a negative 10. BORING!! Who was it that said: "Don't let them catch you acting?" Whoever it was, you can bet it was someone who had never been caught at it . . . which you cannot say for all the guys oin this crappy soap. A whole studio of HAM actors. Painful, and the kiss, well as over-acted as everything else they say and do.

The kiss looked like two straight guys who just wanted to get it over with, like plugging your nose and trying to get your spinach down . . . or two ham actors who thought sexy was head banging, or that head banging would go over better with the homophobes who might be watching than a tender, very sexy kiss.

If the release of nervous sexual energy was what they were going for then perhaps they should have rented Brokeback Mountain to see how real actors do it.

This silly scene was about as sexy as me and my sister (14 and 13 respectively) being goofballs at Safeway and embarrassing our mother by locking lips in the aisles, moaning and groaning in a most silly manner, pretending we were boyfriend and girlfriend.

Maybe it is time for this show to go the way of All My Children and that other one.

Posted by: Ricco | Feb 24, 2012 1:29:35 AM

23. For those criticizing the acting, remember DAYS shoots seven episodes a week. Seven hours of television in one work week, compared with one hour of television per workweek on a primetime show. The actors have no rehearsal other than a blocking rehearsal and get one take. One take and moving on, short of major mistakes. A scene in Downton Abbey or Castle or Grey's Anatomy is shot multiple times from multiple angles, and sometimes varied takes on the same scene until the director is happy with it. These, as in movies, are then edited together to get the best acted, most polished edit of all the angles and takes for what we see screen. Soaps are a lot more like live TV or stage...without the rehearsal time. Its amazing the actors accomplish as much as they do...memorizing 40+ pages daily for lead actors and discarding and doing it again the next day. The acting, when judged by its own standard, is fairly good. Most great primetime and film actors would be just as "bad" if given 40+ pages a day, no rehearsal time, and only one take to get ot right.

Posted by: BreckRoy | Feb 24, 2012 1:33:55 AM

24. I am a loyal Day's fan and am loving this storyline. The soaps are getting fewer and fewer and instead we get copy cat reality crap. That cannot happen to the soaps we have left. Soaps are also good for actors starting out to get experience, something they will not get on some View rip off!

Posted by: Eric | Feb 24, 2012 1:35:47 AM

25. Its not so much the acting, its the writers who suck. If the writing and dialogue were better, the "bad acting" would be less obvious.

Posted by: Jake | Feb 24, 2012 1:52:23 AM