American Family Association | Ellen DeGeneres | Proposition 8

Ellen DeGeneres Rips 'One Million Moms' For Calling for Her Firing: VIDEO

Ellen

On a show taped today for broadcast tomorrow, Ellen DeGeneres praised the 9th Circuit's ruling on Proposition 8, and then launched into a tirade at the AFA organization 'One Million Moms' for calling for her firing, E! reports.

Watch the clip, AFTER THE JUMP...

As you may recall, the hate group called for JC Penney to fire her as spokesperson because she is, in their words, an "open homosexual".

Wrote the group:

Funny that JC Penney thinks hiring an open homosexual spokesperson will help their business when most of their customers are traditional families. More sales will be lost than gained unless they replace their spokesperson quickly. Unless JC Penney decides to be neutral in the culture war then their brand transformation will be unsuccessful.

Says Ellen: "Normally, I try not to pay attention to my haters—but this time I'd like to talk about it, because my haters are my motivators. This organization doesn't think I should be the spokesperson because I'm gay," DeGeneres continued. "They wanted to get me fired, and I'm proud and happy to say that JCPenney stuck by their decision to make me their spokesperson. Which is great news for me because I also need some new crew socks. I'm really going to clean up with this discount."

Ellen then read some of the comments from her supporters on the Million Moms Facebook page.

Added Ellen: "I usually don't talk about stuff like this on my show, but I really want to thank everyone who is supporting me. Here are the values I stand for. I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you'd want to be treated and helping those in need.To me, those are traditional values. That's what I stand for…I also believe in dance."

Watch the clip, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. The 40,000 moms for bigotry, if there are even that many, have just been put in their place by a class act, Ellen Degeneres.I think what a lot of bigots fail to realize is that they are being increasingly marginalized by an America that is becoming increasingly committed to fairness and equality. E Pluribus Unum.

Posted by: jack | Feb 8, 2012 12:59:34 AM

2. I love the way Ellen revealed the values she stands for! Quite frankly, those are the important things... a persons sexuality is quite besides the point.

Speaking of which... I loved a quote I saw on whof.net that defined hom-o-pho-bi-a: Insecurity about being heterosexual! LOL

Posted by: Julia | Feb 8, 2012 1:13:31 AM

3. Way ta go Ellen! LOVE YA GIRL!!! And YAY to JCPENNEY!! I'll definitely shop there too!!!! And to those ONE MILLION MOM-BITCHES...AAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!! BACKFIRE! BACKFIRE! BACKFIRE!!! HATERS SUCK!!!! :)

Posted by: Mike | Feb 8, 2012 1:21:11 AM

4. @TC, I may have been too young to remember that. However, if someone can push forward and evolve their ideals, I am more than willing to forgive them (never forget). To keep an old wound open just leads to more infections. Let it heal.

Posted by: Robert | Feb 8, 2012 2:36:49 AM

5. 1 million Moms should be called 1 Million morons! Do they not know that there is a country up here that if they tried this with Sears, Walmart or The Bay up here they would be told to keep their mouths shut because it is against the law to protest someones sexuality in regards to a job? Being Gay is a non issue and my mom loves your show.
    Go Ellen! and get JC Penney to move up to the Great White North WE LOVE YOU!
    FROM CANADA!!!

Posted by: Darrell | Feb 8, 2012 2:40:19 AM

6. We are blessed as a community to have a person as winning, wise and eloquent as Ellen DeGeneres as one of our most public members. For quite some time now she has shouldered the job of using her position to speak out, clearly and unequivocally, on matters of importance to the LGBTQ community when that is called for. More important, she serves as a powerful example of the joy and strength that comes from living you life openly and with pride in yourself.

Posted by: buster | Feb 8, 2012 2:56:12 AM

7. Man, I really wish Andy would make it a policy to just take a second and post email addresses, and telephone numbers on every story where we can really make a difference. Just that little change would really help his audience make a difference. I know he does it sometimes, but pretty damn rarely. I try to do it in the comments, but he should do it in the article.

Posted by: Mike | Feb 8, 2012 4:11:16 AM

8. Keep it up Ellen! Sorry guys, not even 2 million moms can kick her out! LOL

Posted by: Ageless Male | Feb 8, 2012 4:13:38 AM

9. Thank you Ellen and JC Penny. I'll be stopping by tomorrow to buy something just to stick it to the 1M Mom/Haters...

Life is too short to fill it up with hate. Too bad the 1M Moms are teaching their children that HATE is one of their core values. Karma is a b_ _ _ h

Posted by: Wayne | Feb 8, 2012 4:18:46 AM

10. ugh! They cut out the dance section! I was so ready to dance in my chair! Love Ellen!

Posted by: Jay | Feb 8, 2012 5:09:43 AM

11. Pardon my stupidity, but how in the heck does OMM know that "most" of JC Penney's customer base is "traditional" families? I may not be gay, but I am married and have no kids... so I guess they don't want us either because we chose not to reproduce? I say GO ELLEN! And even though I may be a Bloomingdale's girl, I will find something to purchase at Jc Penney's!!!

Posted by: Audra Beberman | Feb 8, 2012 6:01:30 AM

12. There was an awesome glory hole in the JCPenney store near my home town. A glorious tradition it was!

Posted by: kodiak | Feb 8, 2012 7:05:46 AM

13. Of course JC Penny stuck behind Ellen, she's a class act; unlike those Million Moms who obviously are just a bunch of mini-van bigots.

Posted by: Oliver | Feb 8, 2012 7:29:21 AM

14. I love Ellen, always have. What these million moms who don't speak for me and any of my mom friends don't realize is that Ellen (and Jerry Seinfeld) are some of the few "clean" comedians that they can take their whole family to see.

Ellen always said she would only do non-profane comedy and sticks to it. She's a warm, kind, decent person and these women deserve a sock in the nose.

My VERY Catholic mother's opinion on gay marriage changed because of Ellen. She saw the grace with which she bore the public humiliation after that Anne Heche debacle and said: I pray she finds someone who is actually gay and will appreciate her as a person!

Because of Ellen my mom supports gay marriage.

Posted by: Rin | Feb 8, 2012 8:48:20 AM

15. @TC
    In 1997 under pressure from Donald Wildmon's AFA JC Penny pulled it their ads from the episode of "Ellen" in which the character Ellen Morgan comes out. Even though it was just 15 years ago the climate of the time was radically different from today. The company JC Penny is still around but the chairman of the board of directors of the company has come and gone since then so the climate of the company (if you will) has changed and so has the world. Don't discrimate against the company today for the policies of the past.

Posted by: Paul Keckonen | Feb 8, 2012 9:11:15 AM

16. Ellen is wonderful! What a way to fight back!

Posted by: Matt26 | Feb 8, 2012 9:43:45 AM

17. >>TC. Though I don't personnaly remember who pulled their ads from The Ellen Show, you can look at it this way - Even JCP has seen the light that gay people are not evil, but just people.

Posted by: Mary in Iowa | Feb 8, 2012 10:24:52 AM

18. CHEERS to JC Penny and to Ellen. 2 well known names pulling together and standing their ground against bullies. The two of you should start a campaign of your own and get materials out against bullying...not just against gay/lesbian children but ALL children equally. ;-) <3 to you!

Posted by: Michael Pelham | Feb 8, 2012 10:40:53 AM

19. So I wrote a note that simply said, "Thank-you for not backing down from the bigots who wanted Ellen fired just because she's gay."

Next, went to JCP. I picked up bedding, curtains, and everything else I needed to redecorate my bedroom, two pairs of slacks, a jacket, a shirt, and some socks. Got some good deals btw!

Attached the $622 receipt to my little note, and mailed them to 501 Legacy Dr. Plano, TX 75024 c/o Ron Johnson.

I love tax return time.

Posted by: sparks | Feb 8, 2012 10:50:19 AM

20. "one million moms" would result in what, at 2 children per, and assuming a no-straight rate of anywhere from 60% to as few as .5%, results in at least 10,000 ppl, and perhaps as many as 1,200,000 children who feel hated and rejected from their own mother. Think about that.

Posted by: Eyes For Guys | Feb 8, 2012 11:04:40 AM

21. I really love, love, love her for doing this - for speaking out and making fools out of the hater organization known as The Million Moms. No "Mom" I know would ever boycott JC Penny because Ellen was their spokesman and I promise to aim straight to Pennys for family clothes and other great items. Open an account at Pennys today! :-)

Posted by: OS2Guy | Feb 8, 2012 11:06:41 AM

22. JCPenney Home Office
    501 Legacy Dr.
    Plano, TX 75024

(972) 431-1000

Posted by: Chadd | Feb 8, 2012 11:41:26 AM

23. SPARKS - Brilliant! One million receipts for Ellen! Who's in?!

Posted by: TJ | Feb 8, 2012 11:52:25 AM

24. 6 Feb 12 Working it Wednesday, Bye~ Bye Full MOON and "One Million MOMS" What and WHO are YOU?? Welcome to WE THE PEOPLE and WE ARE ALL EQUAL "NEVER Judge" No ONE Is EXEMPT! FYI I am A MOM, Wife, Daughter, Sister, Retired Soldier, Wife of a Soldier, Mother of a Soldier and I Can't get enough of JC Penny's! What Gives YOU the Right to Hire and Fire? The Sad Part is "We Have One Million Mothers So Judgmental" I can Only Hope Your Children are Open Minded!!

Posted by: Christine Jones | Feb 8, 2012 11:59:04 AM

25. haters gon' hate, ellen. ellen is an amazingly popular talent, who is loved by many. i will be shopping more at jcpenney, due to their glowing endorsement of ellen, as a spokesperson. pop off, 500 moms. you're yesterday's non-news.

Posted by: josh s. | Feb 8, 2012 1:03:32 PM