American Family Association | Ellen DeGeneres | Proposition 8

Ellen DeGeneres Rips 'One Million Moms' For Calling for Her Firing: VIDEO

Ellen

On a show taped today for broadcast tomorrow, Ellen DeGeneres praised the 9th Circuit's ruling on Proposition 8, and then launched into a tirade at the AFA organization 'One Million Moms' for calling for her firing, E! reports.

Watch the clip, AFTER THE JUMP...

As you may recall, the hate group called for JC Penney to fire her as spokesperson because she is, in their words, an "open homosexual".

Wrote the group:

Funny that JC Penney thinks hiring an open homosexual spokesperson will help their business when most of their customers are traditional families. More sales will be lost than gained unless they replace their spokesperson quickly. Unless JC Penney decides to be neutral in the culture war then their brand transformation will be unsuccessful.

Says Ellen: "Normally, I try not to pay attention to my haters—but this time I'd like to talk about it, because my haters are my motivators. This organization doesn't think I should be the spokesperson because I'm gay," DeGeneres continued. "They wanted to get me fired, and I'm proud and happy to say that JCPenney stuck by their decision to make me their spokesperson. Which is great news for me because I also need some new crew socks. I'm really going to clean up with this discount."

Ellen then read some of the comments from her supporters on the Million Moms Facebook page.

Added Ellen: "I usually don't talk about stuff like this on my show, but I really want to thank everyone who is supporting me. Here are the values I stand for. I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you'd want to be treated and helping those in need.To me, those are traditional values. That's what I stand for…I also believe in dance."

Watch the clip, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I love Ellen. She was ahead of the curve back then when she came out, and she's still leading the way in the fight against bigotry and hate.

1 million moms - hilarious name for a tiny group whose sense of grandiose self-importance is as out of whack as its politics. More like "Handful of Whackos".

Posted by: Tom Stoppard | Feb 8, 2012 1:26:24 PM

2. I am not gay and was raised in a traditionally Christian family. However, to me Christian values are about supporting, accepting, and helping others and not about targetting others or believing that you are better than them. I love Ellen's show, I think she's funny and kind and stands for the same things I do. Equality, and human rights. As far as One Million Moms go, I feel sorry that they can not truly accept others and that they believe that God, who has created us to be equal, would appreciate them slandering his name in use against his own children. This isn't about religion, this is about people, and OMM needs to learn to respect others, or they will not be respected in return.

Posted by: Sarah | Feb 8, 2012 2:03:41 PM

3. For those who missed it on facebook:

Posted by: RandySF | Feb 8, 2012 2:26:45 PM

4. Ellen has more class than than all those so called 1m moms put together. Love ya Ellen.

Posted by: Bob Hughes | Feb 8, 2012 2:28:06 PM

5. 6 Feb 12 Working it Wednesday, Bye~ Bye Full MOON and "One Million MOMS" What and WHO are YOU?? Welcome to WE THE PEOPLE and WE ARE ALL EQUAL "NEVER Judge" No ONE Is EXEMPT! FYI I am A MOM, Wife, Daughter, Sister, Retired Soldier, Wife of a Soldier, Mother of a Soldier and I Can't get enough of JC Penny's! What Gives YOU the Right to Hire and Fire? The Sad Part is "We Have One Million Mothers So Judgmental" I can Only Hope Your Children are Open Minded!!

Posted by: Christine Jones | Feb 8, 2012 3:03:16 PM

6. I honestly love you Ellen don't ever change!

Posted by: Patricia Adams | Feb 8, 2012 3:49:28 PM

7. I’m glad Ellen addressed this matter. As far as I know, she stands for the same things the 'One Million Moms' stand for; equality & fairness to all! Where does her sexuality come into play by selling you home appliances & clothing?! All they are doing is trying to flex their muscles and see how many people they can scare. I think there is a name for that?... Oh yes, it’s called bullying!!! I am sure that Ellen was hired by JC Penny as a spokes-person because she is a funny celebrity, that is well liked by the younger generation, not because of the person she chooses to share her life with is of the same sex. People please, let’s stop the hating already.

Posted by: Joseph H. | Feb 8, 2012 4:22:05 PM

8. How can so many moms be so ignorant about another's sexuality? If any of their children are gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, asexual, etc., we must be there for them; their moms won't. Pathetic (said in a voice like Woody Woodpecker)....Freda Jack

Posted by: Freda Jack | Feb 8, 2012 4:48:41 PM

9. Bravo Ellen ( you really have to be an ignorant hateful bigot to be against this woman)

Posted by: jaragon | Feb 8, 2012 5:58:09 PM

10. Well, unlike those so-called 'million' Moms, I DO have a few active brain cells, and I'd just like to say,"Way to go, Ellen and JCP!"

Posted by: Ellen S | Feb 8, 2012 6:16:35 PM

11. You go Ellen!! I LOVE YOU!

Posted by: Beth | Feb 8, 2012 7:11:04 PM

12. Ellen: Todays show 2/09/2012 just made me want to cry with the comments about you being fired from Penny's. What is this world coming to anyway? You do so much good for people and are so very respectful that I can not believe there are women out there who would even start such a controversy. I'm proud of how you handled yourself and this situation. Keep up the good work.

Posted by: Valerie Dorr | Feb 8, 2012 7:16:23 PM

13. I wonder how many of these "One Million Moms" are closet cases? "Me Thinks They Duest Protest To Much". How many of these "Moms" have Gay children? Are they out? How many of these "Moms" have Gay siblings? Are they Out? How many of these "Moms" are married to Gay men? Are they Out to their wives? And the important question is: How is your life right now being negatively impacted by a Gay person?

And lastly, Exactly how is any Gay person you know directly impacting your life in a negative way?

Posted by: Jerry6 | Feb 8, 2012 7:19:50 PM

14. David and Ellen, I am a HUGE gay and lesbian ally. I even sit on a board to raise money to educate bullied gay teens. My philosophy is: don't harm yourself, don't harm others and don't get your good off of the backs of others. I believe in HUMAN rights and last I looked gays were humans, PERIOD. JC Penney's is smart to keep Ellen on as their spokesperson. Paul Newman was one of the first people to say it didn't matter to him WHO anyone slept with that wasn't the measure of a person. Keep finding the compassion in your heart to understand this is not about you, this is about FEAR and ignorance. Blessings to you!

Posted by: KaZ (Sat Siri)Akers | Feb 8, 2012 7:42:52 PM

15. It is our job as adults to teach our children to love and respect people. This is something Ellen does each and every day. She makes our world a better place and strives to set examples from a heart as pure as gold. I love Ellen and I've always considered myself to be a good person but she makes me better and I am honored and proud to be a JC Penny shopper.

Posted by: Rhonda Lucas | Feb 8, 2012 8:21:30 PM

16. Let me start by saying I DO NOT work for JC Penny but I do support dignity and love for ALL! I'm outraged at One Million Moms and all, individuals and organizations, who think that hatred, bigotry and bullying is okay!

Join us for a national day of coming together to thank JC Penney and show other companies that choose to discriminate against anyone that we won't take it any more!

March 31, 2012 (your local time) visit your local JC Penney store (or shop online). Make sure you let them know you are there to support their decision to keep Ellen as their spokesperson but more importantly that they've taken a stand for what is RIGHT!

Posted by: Jackie | Feb 8, 2012 9:37:12 PM

17. Thank you Ellen for representing me and my friends. Millions of moms with a core value of HATE and thats just what it is. I wish we were born with a pink triangle on our foreheads so the world can see us for who we really are, people. Mothers Fathers sisters and brothers. Now is will open up a credit card at JCPenny

Posted by: Domenic | Feb 8, 2012 10:54:44 PM

18. Its great Ellen speaking about this, it just more positive news like the 9th Circuit Court decision in favor of gay rights. Thanks to JCPenney on this issue.

Posted by: Progressive Oasis | Feb 8, 2012 11:16:26 PM

19. Thanks, Ellen. Thanks for making my world a little bit better. Thanks for having the courage to stand up to these bullies.

Posted by: millerbeach | Feb 9, 2012 1:21:20 AM

20. WTH are these million moms, have they not figured out that being a mother does not give them a righteous card....really how many of them don't know one of their kids are gay....too busy with their heads up their asses, be a real mom.

Posted by: Sophia | Feb 9, 2012 1:29:10 AM

21. I have not shopped at JCP for years, but after their standing by Ellen, I will now.

Posted by: Diane Keenan | Feb 9, 2012 11:55:47 AM

22. I will be shopping a JC Pennys whenever I can from now on. Thanks JC Pennys and starbucks for not backing down from bigotry and hate mongers.

Posted by: ken higham | Feb 9, 2012 11:57:32 AM

23. You go Ellen show these super ignorant so called women what real women are like - stupity and hating is not on that list. I am 73 years young, married for 52 years so have been around long enough to know. I am a JC Penny shopper and applaud their stand.

Posted by: Carole | Feb 9, 2012 12:10:12 PM

24. Ellen's dignified rebuttal of the so called "One Million Moms" prejudice and the speech by the Washington State Republican legislator Maureen Walsh in support of gay marriage are the ways you win supporters to the rightness of your cause. Not by the vulgar and anti-freedom of speech rants by Howard Stern.

Posted by: jack | Feb 9, 2012 11:43:17 PM

25. Very good written article. It will be helpful to anyone who uses it, including yours truly. Keep up the good work – for sure i will check out more posts. http://www.louboutinshoes2u.com

Posted by: Christian Louboutin Sale | May 4, 2012 9:33:01 PM