Gay Marriage | Iowa | Louie Gohmert | News | Proposition 8

Rep. Gohmert Slams Prop 8 Ruling, Judges Who Disrespect 'Sperm and Egg' Coming Together: VIDEO

Gohmert

Yesterday on the House floor Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-TX) expressed his disgust over the Prop 8 ruling, condemning judges who disrespect the "sperm and egg coming together".

Said Gohmert: "The court, as I understand it today, struck down a law that said marriage is between a man and a woman. It's interesting that there are some courts in America where the judges have become so wise in their own eyes that they know better than nature or nature's God."

Gohmert then brought up the Supreme Courtjustices in Iowa who were ousted last year after a vicious campaign by anti-gay activists over their support for marriage equality:

"Nature seemed to like the idea of an egg and a sperm coming together because of pro-creation. Apparently [the judges] thought the sperm had far better use some other way biologically, combining it with something else. But the voters of Iowa came back and said you know what, if you're not smart enough to figure out actual plumbing...then perhaps we need new judges, and that's what they did."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. He really is the most stupid man in Congress.

Posted by: MIke | Feb 8, 2012 11:56:12 AM

2. Gomer: I read the decision and it doesn't mention eggs 'n sperm.

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Feb 8, 2012 12:00:19 PM

3. What a goof. What, pray tell, do the coming together of sperm and egg have to do with a civil marriage contract?

Posted by: Jeff | Feb 8, 2012 12:00:55 PM

4. He's from Texas, they grow em' stupid there. (Bush, Perry, etc...)
    Git-R-Done!

Posted by: Bubba | Feb 8, 2012 12:07:48 PM

5. my eight year old nephew is smarter than this man.

WOW.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Feb 8, 2012 12:07:57 PM

6. He looks like the bastard offspring of Quark from DS:9 and the turd sandwich from South Park...

Posted by: SeanR | Feb 8, 2012 12:16:41 PM

7. When God was handing out stupidity, this man went back for three extra helpings.

Posted by: RyanInSacto | Feb 8, 2012 12:16:48 PM

8. Then, I guess, my father-in-law's marriage should be annulled. He married long after his wife could give birth. In fact, every marriage where a child can't be birthed is void, including Newt Gingrich's.

Posted by: Al | Feb 8, 2012 12:18:07 PM

9. Would somebody please rub this man's face in a science book or take him to a zoo to discuss the existence of same-sex attraction in the natural world?? His simple-mindedness is inexcusable.

Posted by: greg | Feb 8, 2012 12:18:09 PM

10. does he support banning infertile heterosexuals from marrying?

post-menopausal women? men who've had testicular cancer? geriatrics?

mandatory fertility tests before a marriage license is granted?

no. even though those people can't procreate. the excuse? "well, that's different"

no. it's actually not.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Feb 8, 2012 12:18:30 PM

11. In his lifetime...wonder where else his "sperm" has ended up and if there were any eggs there...like he's never had oral sex or whacked off?

Posted by: Rick | Feb 8, 2012 12:19:40 PM

12. Gawwwleeeee Gomer. That is the DUMBEST freakin' argument I EVER heard.

Posted by: BRYANT | Feb 8, 2012 12:21:12 PM

13. Sex-obsessed GOP nut job

Posted by: OP | Feb 8, 2012 12:21:54 PM

14. What a tool. Does the study of CIVIL LAW appear on this man's resume? Judges aren't biologists and they're certainly not priests.

Posted by: DiatribesAndOvationsTo | Feb 8, 2012 12:21:56 PM

15. It's always about sex with these folks! They are obsessed with it.

Posted by: Frank | Feb 8, 2012 12:28:55 PM

16. This is only about the 14th public condemnation of the ruling. Does anyone know if ANY of our elected representatives got up in congress and SUPPORTED the ruling?

Posted by: MT | Feb 8, 2012 12:39:07 PM

17. did any GOP reps support the ruling!!?

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Feb 8, 2012 12:43:49 PM

18. Unfortunatly sometimes when nature allows sperm and egg to mingle we get this. Also since it is my nature to be gay, if I had sex with a woman, I think that would be going against nature?

Posted by: billymac | Feb 8, 2012 12:55:27 PM

19. Does anyone else find it bizarre that the first thing he thinks about when defending his view is which body solids and fluids semen mixes with during gay sex?

I'd put money on him being closeted, and would not be surprised if a male prostitute outs him shortly.

Posted by: Joshua | Feb 8, 2012 1:03:51 PM

20. I guess this fool forgot he could be voted out as well.

Posted by: RIcky | Feb 8, 2012 1:05:44 PM

21. Actually, Frank, it's NOT about sex for these folks. It's about, as he says, "plumbing". Penises and vaginas, sperm and eggs, which bits fit into which other bits. Not what I call sex, much less love. And conservatives have the gall to accuse gay people of dehumanizing intimate relationships.

Posted by: Matt in PDX | Feb 8, 2012 1:18:18 PM

22. I'm sorry, I couldn't listen to this guy without snickering like an eight-grader.

Posted by: Sonneillon | Feb 8, 2012 1:29:00 PM

23. the irony is that the proponents tried to use this as evidence and got laughed out of court!!

Posted by: tommyboy10 | Feb 8, 2012 2:50:42 PM

24. YouTube removed the video for

"spam, scams, [or] commercially deceptive content"

??

The content may have been bad, but I doubt it should have been taken down. It's newsworthy. Now I can't see it!

Posted by: Randy | Feb 8, 2012 5:42:28 PM

25. This is why I despair. Who wants to govern such people, let alone be governed by them? Getting involved in politics means you have to encounter too many people swear words were meant for. I love my ivory tower workshop and drawing desk in the admittedly lame hope that the work I do best contributes something uplifting. I think it does. It's when I push my voting tabs that my wrist is limpest.

Posted by: uffda | Feb 8, 2012 9:50:54 PM