Bromance | Music | Music Video | News

BigGayDeal.com

Hot 'Bromance' Gets a Good Rap: VIDEO

Bromance

There's nothing wrong with a couple of straight guys doing gay stuff as long as it's part of a "bromance", according to Big G and MC.

Watch (warning: language), AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Hilarious. Good for them. I'm still chuckling...

Posted by: leprechaunvict | Feb 23, 2012 2:12:44 PM

2. Here's the deal. These guys are really funny and good-looking, and satirical and talented. This skit would be a total winner on SNL.

RICK makes some great points in his post. While straight people love to cram the "complementariness" of men and women down our throats, the fact is that outside of intercourse for relieving sexual needs, in most male/female relationships there is very little that is complementary. Great comedic careers have been made with stand-up acts that highlight just how lacking in complementariness straight relationships are.

Posted by: Dan Cobbb | Feb 23, 2012 2:17:31 PM

3. We used to call "man dates" "hanging out". Str8 male interaction is very activity based: movies, TV, music, sports, drinking, gambling, etc. It centers more around like-mindedness than "coupling", so you go bowling with your bowling buddies and gamble with your gambling buddies, etc. Not necessarily the same groups.

Posted by: anon | Feb 23, 2012 3:01:24 PM

4. Please. They are making fun of homophobia and of macho posturing (whether of the straight or gay variety), in hiphop and elsewhere. I'm well out of their age group, and even I can tell that.
    It's funny. They're cute. And that's a nice peek at the goateed one's cheeks. End of story.

Posted by: Lance | Feb 23, 2012 3:04:55 PM

5. Loved it! It's the opposite of homophobic, guys.

Posted by: seattle mike | Feb 23, 2012 3:07:00 PM

6. Cute in many ways, but when oh when will rap finally die? Please.

Posted by: Chip | Feb 23, 2012 3:09:37 PM

7. Rick can't figure out that his hatred of effeminate gay men is the manifestation of his own internalized homophobia and thus he alludes to a fantasy land future where "macho" men are more in touch their emotions and thus able to (fingers crossed) fall in love with one another while keeping their non-effeminate, manly-man butchness intact.
    Grow a pair, you p*ssy.

Posted by: D.R.H. | Feb 23, 2012 3:26:24 PM

8. I love that there's another Chip on here. It's my real name, but I gave it up 20 years ago at the insistence of my first boss. I still look like a child, and the combo made it too hard for me to attend meetings and charge a fortune.

But more to the point, I too hate rap. It makes me feel old and seems less like poetry and more like bigotry. Again, it makes me feel old.

Posted by: Paul R | Feb 23, 2012 3:30:56 PM

9. Reading these commments . . . . I just wonder what they're doing back in the Alpha quadrant.

Posted by: melvin | Feb 23, 2012 3:55:04 PM

10. Love it.

Posted by: Michael in Toronto | Feb 23, 2012 4:17:46 PM

11. Astute analysis Rick; MB--you're all wet; D.R.H. is right--it satirizes homophobia, so lighten up people! It's funny, the boys are cute--what's not to like?!

Posted by: ludovico | Feb 23, 2012 4:33:07 PM

12. So much of what is perceived to be acting gay is pure modern social construct. Social norms that are artificial and rooted in homophobia...

this was good satire of that.

Posted by: Tom in long beach | Feb 23, 2012 5:09:13 PM

13. That's weird, I don't normally agree with Rick but I do this time (if it's the same Rick that I keep reading). Though I certainly don't hate effeminate gay men or think they should change their mannerisms or anything, as another reader suggested. But to me the 'bromance' phenomenon seems to be a response to the labeling of male friendships as 'gay' with a negative connotation.

For example, I remember about ten years ago in my late teens I went to a mall with a straight, male friend of mine. We were looking for jeans in a particular store, and the sales woman started making subtle insinuations that we were a gay couple simply because we were shopping together. Normally I would just say "Hey, we aren't together" and would forget about it. But she started lisping and stuff, saying my friend had a sore ass (the insinuation was that I was F***ing him) and one of her friends that didn't work at the store was laughing at us. There was, in the culture, this assumption that two males hanging out in public is kind of gay. I think the idea of 'bromance' combats that.

Also, someone wanted scholarly studies about some comments that Rick made. I would suggest people interested in this topic read feminist author Gayle Rubin's critique of Marxism as a place to start. Her idea is essentially that beneath the proletariat/bourgeoisie distinction, the gender hierarchy is foundational. All sorts of interesting implications arise from that observation. Also, the book 'Love, Sex, Intimacy and Friendship Between Men, 1550-1800' contains an article on homoplatonic relationships (the history of the bromance, if you will). Both works are widely read in feminist/queer/liberal arts circles.

Posted by: Jon | Feb 23, 2012 5:52:32 PM

14. I keep wanting to break into "A Fine Bromance with No Kisses."

Posted by: Sean | Feb 23, 2012 6:11:35 PM

15. Great comments, RICK and DAN COBB!!!

Posted by: nikko | Feb 23, 2012 6:30:54 PM

16. These guys are the future sweethearts (IMHO) who will let us all live our lives as we see fit, side by side by side, and with a sense of humor.

Posted by: Thomas Cardellino | Feb 23, 2012 7:49:40 PM

17. Great video and I see a warmth behind the satire. It makes me root for them being together, somehow.

I think we're all fighting for status, just like we were in high school. It saddens me that men with more masculine mannerisms occupy higher status in the world, even in gay culture, than our more effeminate peers. It's reminds me of how light-skinned blacks were seen as "less black" years ago, and occupied a higher status in the black community. To insinuate that "less gay" is better is to say that gay is bad. It would be nice if we'd quit saying that. It seems to be right on point for them- "What's wrong with it?" is a fun, punchy lyric and it asks a great question.

Posted by: Rob | Feb 24, 2012 2:59:31 AM

18. Rap singers should be so flattered that white boys try to imitate them like this.

Posted by: David | Feb 24, 2012 7:29:07 AM

19. "the "gay" culture of effeminacy and the glorification of women and the feminine that has always been its central feature..." Very telling phrase here that leads me to believe that our Rick is somewhat of a misogynist. So, his intense dislike of what he perceives as "feminine" males makes complete sense to me now. His disdain, contempt for and dislike of the feminine is of course doubled for those (males )he believes are betraying the masculine ideal.
    The Bromantic Movement is all about males throwing away the out-dated, harmful and limiting John Wayne hyper masculine ideal. The movement is challenging what we perceive as "masculine' and what we perceive as "feminine", what we perceive as "gay" and what we perceive as "straight". The lines are blurring! And in a few generations only dinosaurs are going to be clutching the old ideals in a death grip.

Posted by: Paul in Charleston | Feb 24, 2012 9:47:33 AM

20. @Rob and Paul in Charleston Both of your comments demonstrate that you completely DON'T get the point of the video. And the reason you don't get it is that, like so many "gay" men, you EQUATE homosexuality and effeminacy, just as the homophobic society around you has taught you to.

This video absolutely does NOT endorse effeminacy--the masculine tone of the rapping clearly points to just the opposite. What it says is that masculinity and masculine values are compatible with loving another man and even having sex with another man....and are an extension of it, in direct opposition to what both the cultural norm of this society and that of "gay" culture suggest.

The line between masculine and effeminate is not blurring at all--and it is both sad that you cannot see it and sad that you want to continue endorsing effeminacy, which is nothing but a product of gay oppression.

Posted by: Rick | Feb 24, 2012 10:52:48 AM

21. Cute! Comments - Much adu about nothing.

Posted by: Jerry6 | Feb 24, 2012 11:58:43 AM

22. Wonderful...a "gateway drug" to equality

Posted by: mikeflower | Feb 24, 2012 1:58:28 PM

23. seems a healthy response to mainstream culture and it's limited and often times overly rigid options for young men.

nice work guys.