Girl Scouts | Indiana | News

Indiana Lawmaker Apologizes for Homophobic Attack on 'Radicalized' Girl Scouts Because He's Getting Bad Publicity

Indiana Rep. Bob Morris (R - Fort Wayne) did not realize that his homophobic, transphobic, anti-feminist letter to fellow lawmakers attacking the "radicalized pro-abortion" Girl Scouts might draw attention beyong the Hoosier legislative sphere, including a mocking skit from Conan O'Brien.

MorrisHe has now issued a statement apologizing and saying "It is my sincere hope that this statement will end the publicity with regard to my letter."

Says Morris in the statement:

I apologize to the Girl Scouts of Indiana and all of the girls and parents of Indiana who are participating in and running their Girl Scout organizations in a way that promotes leadership, community involvement and family values. I certainly should not have painted the entire Girl Scouts organization with such a wide brush.

As I have mentioned, the letter was intended for only my colleagues in the Statehouse. That is not an excuse for the breadth of my letter – rather, it is the reason for the lack of research and evidence it contained. I was merely attempting to express my reasons for not signing the House Resolution honoring the Girl Scouts and challenging my colleagues to think about the issue. I assure you that on matters of state policy and law making my research is extensive. Too, had I known this letter would have gone to a wider audience, I would have cited further evidence for my position.

In hindsight, I never should have written the letter. However, I still would not sign the Resolution honoring the Girl Scouts – not because of any local troops or even the Girl Scouts of Indiana, but because of the Girl Scouts of the United States of America (Girl Scouts USA) and its policies. My conscience would not allow me to publicly endorse an organization that partners with Planned Parenthood – our State’s leading abortion provider. My family and I view abortion as the biggest evil of our time. And as Blessed Pope John Paul II said in his Encyclical Letter Evangelium Vitae, “every person sincerely open to truth and goodness can, by the light of reason and the hidden action of grace, come to recognize in the natural law written in the heart (cf. Rom 2:14-15) the sacred value of human life from its very beginning until its end, and can affirm the right of every human being to have this primary good respected to the highest degree.” I hope that my stance will help to spread the Gospel of life. Perhaps it will cause the Girl Scouts USA to reconsider its policies.

Read his original letter here.

(via shakesville)

Comments

1. Get that thing some eyebrow tweezers, stat!

Posted by: Nat | Feb 24, 2012 3:23:45 PM

2. Smells and looks like a skunk.

Posted by: Timothy | Feb 24, 2012 3:28:12 PM

3. It's a sad commentary on America when any elected official in the year 2012 thinks it's his duty to "spread the gospel" and conform public policy to the dogma of his religion.

Posted by: Justin | Feb 24, 2012 4:30:58 PM

4. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER accept the apologies of these TALIBAN LITE right wing bigots. They don't mean them. He is just regrouping and trying to figure out how he can hurt us without getting hurt himself. That is what cowards do. They throw a sucker punch and then run away to avoid being hurt themselves.

Posted by: jack | Feb 24, 2012 5:46:42 PM

5. He's just bitter because he was told he couldn't join the Girl Scouts.

Posted by: David | Feb 24, 2012 5:47:59 PM

6. Exactly how is RIN a troll? I'm confused.

I don't know that I'd think sexually explicit instruction would be appropriate for eight year-olds, but I can't see the harm in age-appropriate information being shared. And for older girls, where more questions might be asked in a friend-centered environment, it might be a very good idea indeed. I don't know that I count on schools to be very sex-education friendly these days. Too many right-wing religious types on school boards pushing abstinence-only programs. Add in the "don't say gay" types, and you have institutionalized ignorance. But then again, I don't know what actually is being done in girl scout groups these days. Maybe RIN is more aware of specifics.

Posted by: TJ | Feb 24, 2012 6:14:18 PM

7. Wow, just looked at the American Heritage Girls' website - how messed up. Here's part of their statement of faith:

"An AHG member is called to live a life of holiness, being pure of heart, mind, word and deed, reserving sexual activity for the sanctity of marriage; marriage being a lifelong commitment before God between a man and a woman."

Pretty sick to make your little girl embrace your right wing political/religious hate agenda in order to have some friends.

Posted by: Phil | Feb 24, 2012 8:07:40 PM

8. TJ - RIN is a troll because Ehrenstein says so. Haven't you figured that out yet? Otherwise she's just another minority sane blogger on this total drama site.

Posted by: uffda | Feb 25, 2012 1:13:14 AM

9. Hey UFFDA, how's it hangin' ?

Total drama site - well, yeah, sometimes. And DAVID often has good points. But RIN seems quite thoughtful, even if I don't always agree. In this case I really don't see how anything she wrote smacks of "troll." and that's just one of the problems with the Internet. Either you completely agree, or you're a troll. The great potential of the Internet for learning gets lost.

And then there's RICK (sorry, couldn't help myself).

Posted by: TJ | Feb 25, 2012 1:45:28 AM

10. So.. he either needs to start using Just For Men, or stop using Just For Men. Because something's not right there.

Posted by: MKe | Feb 25, 2012 3:45:19 AM

11. gayface

Posted by: jim | Feb 25, 2012 7:56:02 AM

12. The content of his letter and his non-apology apology aside, that an elected official would imagine he could issue a written statement that would not become public is the real indication of his poor thinking skills.

You are an elected official, sir. Everything you say, do, or write is subject to public scrutiny. If you can't stand the attention, leave office.

Posted by: james | Feb 25, 2012 8:01:38 AM

13. TJ I like you. You say sensible things and try to be nice more often than I. This place is such a free-for-all that I just try to keep laughing through the pepper spray. There are many poignant things here though and I am often touched, which is the fullest reason why I return. Also, I like snotty guys and love throwing it back. Did you note the gay guy last week who wrote, "too many bitches here, I'm going back to my str8t friends." If I weren't so tantalized by shooting my mouth off that's what I'd do too. As for RICK, he DOES say some sensible things but it's as an irritant that he's most valuable. I love the way he drives KIWI crazy. In short this site is priceless.

Posted by: uffda | Feb 25, 2012 1:09:29 PM

14. What a freakin' jackass. Basically he said "I won't do the job I was elected to do and honor my pledge to do so because the Pope told me not to". Personally I hope the people of Indiana are smart enough to see through this disingenuous and half hearted apology. Guess I gotta make a donation to Planned Parenthood in honor of Rep.Bob Morris.

Posted by: ThomT | Feb 25, 2012 10:22:10 PM

15. Age-approrpiate sex education is what our kids need more of, not less.

God bless the GSA.

Posted by: David R. | Feb 27, 2012 12:32:46 AM

16. Ron: Don't ever assume there is an ounce of truth to something just because some obviously-bigoted bonehead said it.
    Both organizations' (Planned Parenthood and Girl Scouts) of Indiana, as well as every credible news source that has commented, has said that there is NO such partnership between them.

Posted by: Gregv | Feb 27, 2012 1:12:55 AM

17. Sorry, autocorrect thought my post was to "Ron" instead of "Rin."

Posted by: Gregv | Feb 27, 2012 1:14:18 AM

18. UFFDA - not that you'll ever read this (okay, maybe), but something to think about: The irritating grain of sand can lead to a pearl of great value. But often, it produces lumps of limited use. RICK inspires the choir to preach, for sure. But how many read and say, Oh, I thought that. Maybe I should re-think? There is value in the beautiful pearl. The idealist in me lingers on the limited-use lumps. What sort of pearls could they become? And is this the best growth medium?

Posted by: TJ | Feb 27, 2012 1:50:01 AM

19. So basically, the moment that his hate rhetoric goes viral he suddenly lacks the courage of his convictions?

Spineless coward.

Posted by: scooternva | Feb 27, 2012 6:12:16 AM

20. Well, Morris, you've tossed your integrity as an elected legislator out the window. Your choice of religion is fine, and yours to make. Your religion as a template for legislation is not fine. You should consider working in a church or for a church, but our government does not need or want you.

Posted by: RexT | Mar 12, 2012 9:19:56 PM