Evangelical Christians | Evangelicals | Iowa | News

Iowa Pastor Faces Demonstration for 'Gay Is Not Okay' Marquee

Gayisnotokay

A Des Moines, Iowa pastor faces a demonstration after promoting a sermon planned for this Sunday on his marquee with the words "Gay is not Okay", the Des Moines Register reports:

DemastusNot long after Boltinghouse’s post, the Facebook page “People against the bigots at Fort Des Moines Church of Christ” popped up. The site had 323 likes as of about 2:30 p.m. The protest is scheduled for 8 to 11 a.m. Sunday and more than 100 people have indicated plans to attend.

Demastus said he changed the sign to “Adultery is not OK” around 10:30 p.m. Wednesday night, but still plans to give the sermon as planned.

Demastus said he knew the title was “provocative” but didn’t expect the reaction he has received.

Demastus tells WOI that he feels threatened:

When I did take it down it was when I received messages that indicated simply my address and the message, 'Hope you feel safe at home. It's sad. This is the community that cries wanting us to be tolerant and I said gay is not okay, I didn't say gays are not okay."

He says he still plans to give his sermon: "I'm not going to have people threaten my family and my life because of a church sign, but I am gonna preach the truth from God's word."

The protest's Facebook page can be found HERE. Organizers say "This is a non-violent, peaceful protest."

Comments

1. O great
    He'll be held up as the next seconded coming of Christ by the right

Posted by: GeorgeM | Feb 9, 2012 9:28:07 PM

2. Didn't expect the reaction? Is he an idiot?

Posted by: sylvatica | Feb 9, 2012 9:29:13 PM

3. I wonder if he also preaches sermons telling his flock that Jesus taught the divorce and remarriage is adultery; or that the bible teaches that people who work on the Sabbath should be stoned to death; it also calls for the stoning to death of adulterers, those who curse their parents and those who worship gods other than yahweh among other things. Like most bible believers he probably only picks out those passages that conform to his own beliefs and reinforce his prejudice and bigotry. What do you bet?

Posted by: jack | Feb 9, 2012 9:38:25 PM

4. "I said gay is not okay, I didn't say gays are not okay."

And the difference being? Dumbass.

Posted by: LiamB | Feb 9, 2012 9:39:24 PM

5. shouldn't st peters, st patricks, and all catholic churches be protested also?

Posted by: h | Feb 9, 2012 9:39:37 PM

6. This guy is a liar. He clearly isn't educated enough to know the truth. The first of those truths, God didn't write the book he's bigotting from.

Using God to promote hate just proves idiocy not holiness.

Posted by: Bart | Feb 9, 2012 9:40:25 PM

7. So, if I carried a banner in next year's PRIDE parade reading, "CHRISTIAN IS NOT OKAY" that would seem appropriate to him?

And the deluge of threats I would most certainly receive, WOULD BE an OUTRAGE, yes?!

Tic-tok, bigot; the sun is setting on your license to demean, diminish, & persecute. You're not a moral authority on anything.

Be gone; before someone drops a house (of worship) on YOU!

Posted by: Pete n SFO | Feb 9, 2012 9:52:34 PM

8. What, they don't have rocks in Iowa? I'm not kidding. If I'd seen that sign near me I'd be there that night putting a rock (or several) through it.

Posted by: Codswallop | Feb 9, 2012 10:07:38 PM

9. he's a closeted gay bear and may or may not have figured it out yet. always the case.

Posted by: Mitchell | Feb 9, 2012 10:15:15 PM

10. A case of IPC: Imaginary Persecution Complex.

What part of "Thou shalt not bear false witness" does he not understand?

Posted by: God | Feb 9, 2012 10:19:17 PM

11. Oh we are being threatened Oh we are being persecuted... oh for God sake shut the F up

Posted by: MAP | Feb 9, 2012 10:26:08 PM

12. This guy is a closet case. Someone will out him soon.

Posted by: Randy | Feb 9, 2012 11:19:31 PM

13. He should do a sermon on the bible's commandment not to work on the Sabbath no exceptions and why taking a paycheck as a pastor and using electricity in the church violates this commandment to keep the Sabbath holy under the harshest of penalties. And then talk about the hypocrisy of judging gay people at all when taking such a paycheck which Jesus never took.

Posted by: Danny | Feb 9, 2012 11:49:12 PM

14. If anyone physically attacks him they should be charged with assault enhanced with a hate crime added. And those people who suggest a criminal response is appropriate (even if just suggesting that the sign be smashed) are not doing LGT rights a favor.

But he does deserve to be condemned by word. Bigots have long claimed that God is on their side. The racists who opposed integration claimed the Bible supported their position. The fact is that African Americans faced persecution based on one single characteristic, the color of their skin. And gay people face equal discrimination on a single characteristic, their sexual orientation.

He tries to say that the act of being gay is not OK but that being gay is acceptable. I fail to see the distinction. That is like saying prohibiting Christians from praying and going to church could be outlawed, but that being Christian is OK.

Posted by: Charlie | Feb 9, 2012 11:59:39 PM

15. Threaten his life?

Bullsh*t.

Yet another liar, promoting his own bigotry by pretending to be religious.

Posted by: bobbyjoe | Feb 10, 2012 12:01:31 AM

16. "Evangelism is not okay" -- it needs therapy.

Posted by: Jexer | Feb 10, 2012 12:07:13 AM

17. lets just see if I can say this succinctly: If we gays have maryland, jersey, NC, minnesota, prop 8. etc etc. AND the Dems collectively have 99% against 1%, birth control, mortgage crises, super pacs, wall street, union busting, etc. maybe theres a game plan. If we can contribute broadly to all of these issues, and request our straight friends to do so also, I think if progressives pull together.....We may be able to put a big dent in the right's pocketbook. just enuf to leave them limping and to leave us regular folk alone.

Posted by: stevenelliot | Feb 10, 2012 12:17:23 AM

18. He feels "threatened"? Oh please!

This sh** has got to stop! Attacking another set of human beings is not only wrong, but also not CHRISTIAN. He needs to understand when you attack a set of people, those you insult are going to fight back. Enough is enough! No he knows how it feels for someone to attack you.

Just like it's wrong to say "Black is not OK" or "Latino is not OK" ... it is also wrong to say "Gay is not OK". The only thing that is not OK is for him to attack others.

Discrimination is soooooooooo last century!

Posted by: FunMe | Feb 10, 2012 12:22:59 AM

19. As I have pointed out in many a comment, simply preaching the rantings contained in the bible does not equal the word of God. It equals the word of many men from a long hard past where the world was at times, a horribly disturbing place. I want proof that he knows the word of God. If he any where mentions the bible I can only conclude he might be dillusional.

Posted by: Todd | Feb 10, 2012 12:24:00 AM

20. Dear Michael Demastus:

Congratulations on your graduation from Stereotype School!

G'night, Gay Face!

Bored,

I remain,

The Earth

Posted by: JOE 2 | Feb 10, 2012 12:56:49 AM

21. His sign makes me feel unsafe. I hope he gets what's coming to him. Let him worry about retribution. Here's a quote he can use, An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth.

Posted by: Let's get biblical | Feb 10, 2012 1:03:48 AM

22. ok sure..he is perfectly fine to say 'Gay is not okay' so why then should he have an issue if we reply with 'Being an ignorant hateful bigot is not okay'?

Posted by: paul | Feb 10, 2012 1:06:16 AM

23. Demastus - a learning moment, a teaching moment. How does it feel to feel threatened? How does hate feel? How does unfair feel?

Posted by: TJ | Feb 10, 2012 1:10:11 AM

24. That's the kind of sign, hung from a church, that makes some sh*t head skin head driving by feel that is it ok to hang a Matthew Shepherd from a fence. It is a thinly veiled threat. It says THAT church sanctions violence against gays.

That lazy bast*rd should get a real job and support his family like a real man. Stop hiding behind Jesus.

Posted by: Call it what it is | Feb 10, 2012 1:14:08 AM

25. He should be sued by Sweden for using their flag on his church sign.

Posted by: Jeff K. | Feb 10, 2012 1:42:11 AM