Bullying | Canada | Drake Jensen | I'm Gay | Music | Music Video | News

BigGayDeal.com

Canadian Country Singer Drake Jensen Comes Out, Features Husband in His Video: WATCH

Jensen

Canadian country singer Drake Jensen came out of the closet this week with the release of a video featuring his husband which Jensen dedicated to Jamie Hubley, the gay Ottawa teen who committed suicide last October after being bullied.

Jensen talks about coming out to Cash Box Canada:

“As a child I always knew there was something different about me above and beyond the gay thing. Even during the worst of the bullying I always felt I would make it through. My small town was like a pack of wolves; they sniffed out the damaged ones and turned on them. I was that wolf that was different from everybody else but I always knew God had something special in mind for me...I have been so lucky to be given so much, I have no choice but to give back. I give back through my music and through my story. I’m a homosexual musician telling my story through songs and spreading the message of love. In a perfect world, what could be wrong with that?”

Check out Jensen's video for his new single "On My Way to Finding You" and a statement he made about it to East Coast Kitchen, AFTER THE JUMP...

Dj

"On My Way to Finding You"

Comments

1. wow...this just made me cry. I really appreciate his courage and will definitely buy his music. nice job!

Posted by: Brian | Feb 2, 2012 10:58:15 AM

2. Has a wonderful heart bravo.I only hope more can be honest with themselves.I really wish country music stars would get over offending their bigoted fanbase also.For instance ive read that Faith Hill and Tim McGraw are very gay supportive and gay friendly yet you never see anything about either of them in that area.So in all honesty unless there is proof these are just assumptions period.

Posted by: Kenny | Feb 2, 2012 11:02:07 AM

3. Good for this guy whoever he is.

Now if only a major American country music singer would come out as bisexual or gay.

Posted by: SG | Feb 2, 2012 1:56:50 PM

4. I went to high school with Garth Brooks. Always hoped I get to see his boots by my bedside. Wanted to be one of his friends that go down in low places.

Posted by: Alan | Feb 2, 2012 7:02:29 PM

5. I love country music! I'm going to look up this guy's lexicon and download his recordings. kd lang was one of Canada's first out internationally popular entertainers. I LOVE her!

I still can't get over the kind of willful stupidity and fearmongering that keeps gay teens from reaching their full potential.
    With all the talented gay people out there, writers...artists, sports stars...the list goes on.
    But most important of all, gay people have waged their defense of themselves, lives and loves extraordinarily without violence.
    Even when any one of the tenderest of their number is brutally murdered, the response is compassion, reaching out, due process of law.
    I can see so easily that God expects his children to be strong ALLIES together. So much could be accomplished were that so.

Posted by: Regan DuCasse | Feb 4, 2012 12:20:04 PM

6. This was so sweet, made my eyes well up.Both from his bravery and because of the poor little boy that took his own life.

I was brought up in the church, the dancing is a sin and anything with a drum beat is the devil music kind of church. To give you an idea of where I come from. I'm 42.

I've come a long way over the years in my beliefs, I've come to change my thinking over a lot of issues. I was force fed so many things I'm STILL sifting through what are my own beliefs and what I was brain washed into believing.

When I was in my 30's I pretty much stopped going to church, and I went a couple times a week up until then, When I took one of my friends from work who was interested in joining a church with me one Sunday.
    The church I was going to was much more liberal and larger (about 700 people)than the one i grew up in.

They liked to put forth that we love and accept everyone, we're all children of God, hate the sin but love the sinner....

Oh... unless your gay, then your not welcome.

My friend was gay, open about it if asked, but not flaming obvious. But from the looks I got he may as well have been a baby raper.

The church was normally very friendly and open about hugging and saying hello, to people you didn't know and of course to people you did know.
    I got totally froze out that day, and those of you in the church know what I mean.

That day was the end of me putting up with organized religion. So much for Love. Not only was my friend not welcomed as a person, but it came to be obvious to me that he never would be and that they didn't even want gay people there to "save" at all.

One of the assistant pastors was banging half his sunday school class, but that was forgivable and forgiven because the ones he was banging were women I guess.

Now here I am a mom of 2 boys, one 6 and one 16. Last year my 16 year old told me he liked boys as well as girls and that he kissed a boy.

What made me feel good and was so sweet was that he didn't even think twice about telling me about it. He asked me what I thought his step dad and his dad would say but he never worried about me.
    His Dad and Step Dad (my husband) had no problem with it btw.

What is kind of a problem is that my son is so innocent in a way and not afraid of being who he is, he was very taken aback when I warned him that he may want to hold off chatting with my parents about it until he has a boyfriend he wants them to meet. My mom would for sure preach at him and tell him he's going to go to hell, and would be disgusted by him. My poor little baby didn't have a clue it could be like that.

I did tell him to be careful at school, because I don't want him to get the crap kicked out of him. I told him he better tell me immediately if there is a problem so I can go make waves in the school office and I'll pay some Senior(s)to protect him at school.

It makes me cry to think of boys like Jamie suffering and alone and dying just because of who they love.

Posted by: Shelly | Feb 4, 2012 3:23:16 PM

7. SHELLY - While it's way too late to adopt you as my mom, I'm glad your sons have you. Advice to be careful is very wise. As idealistic as young people can be, they may not always have all the tools to fight for their point of view, especially at school, where others might not yet have developed the tools to understand. There is a reason why we don't send children into battle. It is up to adults to guide, help, fight the good fight, and protect when necessary. No more sacrificial lambs.

Sending you a cyber hug...

Posted by: TJ | Feb 4, 2012 3:38:15 PM

8. love you shelly! :D

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Feb 4, 2012 3:49:14 PM

9. Drake is an amazing man, with such a lovely heart. I had never heard of him, but I can say he has won a fan in me!

Posted by: Drake In San Diego | Feb 8, 2012 12:52:45 AM

10. Bravo Drake! Courage exists on many levels and parallels with love. You take it to a higher level!

Posted by: Optic Mystic | Nov 3, 2012 5:11:36 PM

11. UFFDA hates gay man. What. a. life.

Posted by: ArkArk | Jul 12, 2013 2:28:46 PM

12. Oh and UFFDA, Jensen might not be manly enough for you.

Posted by: ArkArk | Jul 12, 2013 2:31:11 PM