"Ex-Gays" | Dominican Republic | Evangelical Christians | Evangelicals | Film

New Film Documents Teen's 'Kidnapping', Rescue from 'Ex-Gay' Evangelical Christian Reform School: VIDEO

David

A new film, Kidnapped for Christ, exposes the "troubled teen industry" in which youth are mistreated and families seeking help for their children are exploited by Evangelical groups like 'Escuela Caribe' an Evangelical Christian reform school located in The Dominican Republic which offers "ex-gay" reparative therapy through psychological and physical abuse.

Watch the trailer, AFTER THE JUMP...

KidnappedKidnapped for Christ follows several stories including that of David, a gay teen, who was rescued from the camp by people in his community who discovered that he was being held there illegally past the age of 18.

The filmmakers write:

The film centers on the story of David, a straight-A student from Colorado who was sent to Escuela Caribe in May of 2006 after coming out to his parents as gay. Like many others, David was taken in the night without warning by a “transport service” and was never told where he was going or when he would be brought back home. While at Escuela Caribe, David had no way of communicating with any of his friends or family back home until the filmmakers arrived and he decided to ask them if they would smuggle out a letter that he had secretly written to his best friend. Once word got back to David’s community about what had happened to him, many people sprung to action and formed a plan to get him released. Getting David out of this school, however, turned out to be a much more difficult task than anyone had thought, and the trials they went through to get David released revealed just how far Escuela Caribe would go to prevent a student from leaving.

David was not the only student whose life was impacted by the school’s severe approach to discipline. The filmmakers followed many other students who also experienced degrading punishments and who struggled to understand what was happening to them.

Watch the trailer, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Thats exactly what happened to me except the setting was Branson, Missouri. Look up "Shelterwood" on Google. I shook while watching this.

Posted by: Evan | Feb 6, 2012 7:53:01 PM

2. I want to see parents punished for doing this to their kids.

Posted by: fanboi | Feb 6, 2012 9:00:13 PM

3. I'm completely sick.

Posted by: Bobby | Feb 6, 2012 9:07:25 PM

4. "We put them through hardships so they will see what they put others through"

Yes, your child being Gay is about YOU
    -- ask Jane Clementi and ask the mormons

Posted by: Bob | Feb 6, 2012 10:09:48 PM

5. @Andrew - I know David. Trust me, this is a very real story. When he disappeared (literally disappeared -- no one had any idea where he went), everyone he knew was scrambling for information and his parents wouldn't tell anyone anything.

I didn't know that he was filmed during his time there, but I look forward to seeing the film to learn how David was brought back to the US.

Posted by: Brian | Feb 6, 2012 10:36:30 PM

6. To me the saddest things about this story after David's miserable treatment is: 1) that his parents were so twisted by religious B.S. that they could subject their own son to such horrors; 2) I have little doubt that this concentration camp is being staffed by self loathing homosexuals also twisted by old testament religious B.S.The real enemy is that collection of books called the bible. People should expose these books for the myths and horrors that they contain.

Posted by: jack | Feb 6, 2012 10:42:35 PM

7. This is child abuse and in the case of David, conspiracy, kidnapping and unlawful imprisonment without due process, and unlawful crossing of state and national boarders to commit a felony. All of the people involved in this crimes need to go to jail and their victims freed today.

Posted by: Dave | Feb 7, 2012 7:31:10 AM

8. Many years ago, during the height of the cult movement, there was a brave man who took it upon himself to rescue people from these destructive cults -- Ted Patrick. He wrote a book called "Let Our Children Go!" which detailed his fight.

Unfortunately, the people he deprogrammed were legal adults, and the fanatics from the Scientology cult was able to have him shut down.

When it comes to the rights of children, there's a gray area. A parent has been given the leeway to do raise their children as they see fit.

However! When the child reaches the age of consent -- usually around 16 or so, *then* there's a legal line crossed, and the youth is allowed to sue for emancipation from their parents.

Furthermore, these so-called "camps" could come under child endangerment and child abuse laws.

It's time the TLBG community begins a legal assault on these indoctrination and internment camps.

If you know one in your area, report it to your county's Child Protective Services agency! If you're a survivor of one of these places, do the same!

If you have the means, contact Lambda Legal, and ACLU, and the NCLR and sue these places out of existence!

Posted by: Marlene | Feb 7, 2012 9:31:33 AM

9. First of all, this is not a camp. It's a school. I was there for two years, and hardly can qualify as a camp. It was an extremely hard thing to go through, and I feel for anyone who has gone there. I cannot wait to see this film.

Posted by: KIMBERLY | Feb 24, 2012 8:05:37 PM

10. I hate this! I have gay friends, and to think that they could have been one of the teens in this film enrages me! I would get the FBI on the parents tail, and break those kids out of that PRISON even if it resulted on me going to jail.

Posted by: Bat | Apr 27, 2012 7:42:08 PM

11. I can't see people forcing kids into prison camps in an attempt to change them. I understand parental rights, but at the same time minors are not lab rats. These places ought to be shut down by the government.

On a lighter note, UFFDA, I loved your scenario about a reform camp for evangelical parents who would force their kids into one of these places. Yes, you would love to work on these people. But Little Kiwi is the one who'd really change them. A few weeks of his tirades and they'd change for REAL (a la the novel "1984"!) All these people would then be marching with their sons in gay pride parades, donating to GLAAD, and form a new organization (AAREBNOT - American Association of Reformed Evangelical Bigots Now on Towleroad!)

Posted by: mary | Apr 27, 2012 8:27:59 PM

12. NOT about the new film (which I can't wait to see!!) - about the survey to "learn more about Towel Road readers" - I got half way through and clicked OUT. It's WAAAAAY too much. Please consider making those a LOT shorter. It obviously was a marketing survey and I understand business. I respect it. But this survey was SOOOO long. I wasn't willing to do the whole thing.

I believe you'll get more people to complete the entire thing if it isn't so long, so detailed, and doesn't ask so much about sooo many things - and so many angles on it. It really was annoying.

Love your posts - but that survey is a problem. Look into it please. Thank you!

Posted by: Alice | Jul 25, 2013 4:50:19 PM