MIA | Music | Music Video | News

M.I.A. is a Bad Girl in the Desert: VIDEO

Desert_MIA

M.I.A. files her nails atop a two-wheeling BMW in her new clip for 'Bad Girls'.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I’ve never seen anything like that before. It’s like mixing together south central thugs with Muslims on their hajj.

Posted by: Nate | Feb 3, 2012 12:50:11 PM

2. It's actually huge all over the Arab world (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W1bSKw0SkE), and car tricks/shows (called sideshows), are much bigger in the Bay Area than anywhere in South Central LA.

Let's at least research our racism, k?

Posted by: Cameron Johnson | Feb 3, 2012 1:45:07 PM

3. @ Cameron How was that racist? I was just making an observation. I actually really like this video.

Posted by: Nate | Feb 3, 2012 2:06:34 PM

4. Nate, Cameron's comments are prolly re: your reading of the vid as S Central thugs meets Haj. I know you didn't mean it disparagingly. It would be more accurate to read this as young people having fun, albeit dangerously and with a great deal of risk. It's no different than if you lived in a small town and everyone hung out at the local cross roads and blasted their radios and carried on. To conflate black gangster culture and the religious pilgrimage to Mecca simply based on the elements in the video: automatic rifles, Islamic clothing, and customized cars is a little off the mark.

Posted by: Toro Castano | Feb 3, 2012 2:20:32 PM

5. @Toro I see what you are saying. Sorry i didn't think of a more PC way of stating " I've never seen a video with American Urban and Middle Eastern styles mixed together." I think its neat.

Posted by: Nate | Feb 3, 2012 2:36:23 PM

6. Awesome and provocative video. This reminds me of being in the desert in Dubai watching the racing... Except with only men.

Posted by: zeddy | Feb 3, 2012 3:01:05 PM

7. It's not a question of being PC -- it's a question of being accurate. "South Central Thugs" (I assume that by urban, you mean black), don't do this sort of thing. Their car culture is completely different, and this drift-influenced phenomenon is nearly unique to the Northern California/SF Bay Area.

I understand your point, and I think it's a cool video, too. However, in lumping together urban blacks as "south central thugs" who have the same interests, and "muslims on their hajj" (we don't know what religion they are -- they're just brown and in a desert, and I don't see much praying or circling of mecca), you make a point that certainly sounds very ignorant, even if that wasn't your intent.

Posted by: Cameron Johnson | Feb 3, 2012 3:04:35 PM

8. P.s. Google 'Arab Drift Videos' if you want to see more. It's pretty sick.

Posted by: Cameron Johnson | Feb 3, 2012 3:05:06 PM

9. @ Cameron I didn't know there was a arab drift car culture. It is neat.

I initially infered they were muslim because the woman have thier faces coverd. My middle eastern friends, who still live there, don't do that, I was guessing it was for religious reasons. I think that is a valid assumption.

Posted by: Nate | Feb 3, 2012 3:17:02 PM

10. I just watched this. This video is stunning!

I am somewhat amused that M.I.A. released her new video the same day as Madonna, and it blows away that cheerleader crap. This is how you get people talking.

Posted by: endo | Feb 3, 2012 3:29:46 PM

11. Loves me some politically correct arguments. Can't get eno- ZZZzzz...

Posted by: J.D. | Feb 3, 2012 6:04:56 PM

12. LOVE THIS

mia and madonna share the same manager now - same day was deliberate

Posted by: sassafrass | Feb 3, 2012 7:02:59 PM

13. Oh Christ, give it up PC police.

Posted by: Ryan | Feb 3, 2012 7:40:59 PM

14. God forbid privileged gay men be challenged on anything. These are cultures that we haven't seen brought into pop culture and I think it's cool we're discussing it. It's very fresh. Reminds of the way young people in the UK put a spin on hip hop culture. Being reductive is bo-ring.

Posted by: Toro Castano | Feb 3, 2012 11:27:23 PM

15. It's kinda funny seeing her being so "bad ass" in this vid, then watching her waving around pom poms chanting L-U-V Madonna.

Posted by: Bryan | Feb 4, 2012 2:22:36 PM

16. Wow... Romain Gavras is just killing it with this and the "Born Free" video! :)

Posted by: Aman Chaudhary | Feb 8, 2012 11:05:26 PM