Football (American) | Madonna | MIA | Music | News | Super Bowl

NBC, NFL Apologize for M.I.A.'s Middle Finger 'Super Bowl' Salute: VIDEO

M.I.A.'s middle finger is this year's wardrobe malfunction, and has the network apologizing, according to the Hollywood Reporter:

Bird_mia"The NFL hired the talent and produced the halftime show," NBC said in a statement to THR. "Our system was late to obscure the inappropriate gesture and we apologize to our viewers."

For its part, the NFL released a statement that seemed to blame the fault delay system for the airing of the gesture. "There was a failure in NBC's delay system. The obscene gesture in the performance was completely inappropriate, very disappointing, and we apologize to our fans."

M.I.A., known for her rebellious, brash persona and music, performed in a cheerleader outfit for a performance of Madonna's latest single, "Give Me All Your Luvin,'" on which she and Minaj -- also onstage in a pom-pom girl uniform -- are featured rappers.

Watch M.I.A.'s middle finger moment, AFTER THE JUMP...

If you missed the entire Madonna performance, watch it HERE.

Comments

1. Henry, so you're saying the few times someone did a live vocal in a venue with no time for a sound check and terrible acoustics, they sucked. That just proves the point. I mean damn, if Whitney Houston at the height of her skills chooses to lip sync, these bitches have no reason to go off on Madonna for it.

As for MIA, good gawd people, grow up. You're acting like she flashed her vag in church or something. Take your smelling salts and stop acting like the Church Lady.

Posted by: ChristopherM | Feb 6, 2012 11:16:28 AM

2. @TOTO, you know, nothing validates your point better than making an assumption about my "hipster" status and my music tastes because of a single statement I made about an artist.

Also: "The chick was given an opportunity to perform in one of the largest American events that is also viewed internationally and this is what she does?"

It's M.I.A., what did you expect? It's cool though, a woman of color giving the public the middle finger is totally OMG HUGE NEWS!

"Unless she was born 2 days ago she would know without a doubt her actions would cause the wheat shucking puritans of mid-America to fly into a frenzy."

Exactly the point!

Posted by: Jesus | Feb 6, 2012 11:21:33 AM

3. Love M.I.A.!

Posted by: Chuy | Feb 6, 2012 11:24:10 AM

4. I've lived my life without ever watching a Super bowl. The over-hyped spectacle of heavily armored men bashing into each other and throwing or carrying a ball with constant interruptions for commercial breaks and whatever business they conduct on the filed is what Daniel Boorstin called a "pseudoevent". Basketball and soccer are livelier, though I regret that bball players gave up sexy shorts for culottes.
    Given that there is an element of violence in the game, why do folks get het up over a naughty gesture or a bit of female flesh briefly exposed? those must be the most human parts of the whole show.

Posted by: gregory brown | Feb 6, 2012 11:27:01 AM

5. @Artie

You can have all those with nose jobs if that's what you prefer. I know nothing about MIA but her nose looks fine - much better than it would sculpted with rhinoplasty.

Posted by: Tonic | Feb 6, 2012 11:30:52 AM

6. M.I.A is awesome. It's stories like this that make me embarrassed to be an American.

Posted by: Abejabi | Feb 6, 2012 11:37:14 AM

7. I have a question.....

Between MIA's middle finger and Janet Jackson's nipple, what about each of those things poses a specific cultural threat to America?

I'm just puzzled as to why there's freaking out and talk of fines, over these women, and yet Rick Perry was allowed to make national television ads that existed to do nothing but promote and fan the flames of anti-gay bigotry. I can tell you specifically what harm those ads of Perry's have on society and millions of Americans.

I'm not sure what MIA"s finger is going to do to that will negatively impact American society......

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Feb 6, 2012 11:44:06 AM

8. America the overly obsessive and sensitive.

Posted by: zeddy | Feb 6, 2012 11:45:20 AM

9. This just shows that people actively look to be offended.

Posted by: Paulie | Feb 6, 2012 11:54:30 AM

10. WHO CARES! She got exactly what she wanted, which is everyone talking about her and giving her attention.

Posted by: Johnn | Feb 6, 2012 11:57:11 AM

11. Big deal, showing the finger is offensive but it's not as offensive as other things happening in the world that are real problems, like war, human rights violations, etc. Plus, it wasn't that noticeable. Get over it!
    And BRUCE,is this website the only thing you read? Well, I am ok, as many other people, with notes about Madonna in this website. And Madonna is everything but homophobic, come one! Please towleroad, keep it coming!

Posted by: Ivan M | Feb 6, 2012 12:17:56 PM

12. Prince wasn't lip syncing when he did the halftime show.

As for the Madonna coverage, big surprise. Did you know that there are writers other than Andy on weekends? Here's a tip: if you don't like reading about Madonna, then don't.

Posted by: Paul R | Feb 6, 2012 12:51:56 PM

13. She gave the American Public the finger...

What's the problem here, exactly?

Posted by: Jeremy | Feb 6, 2012 12:55:13 PM

14. Madonna's hollow performance was the most offensive thing about the whole show, tbh...

Posted by: Richie | Feb 6, 2012 12:59:33 PM

15. "Henry, so you're saying the few times someone did a live vocal in a venue with no time for a sound check and terrible acoustics, they sucked. That just proves the point"

No, I'm saying that The Who sucked, because Roger Daltrey's once-incredible voice is shot. It's why I haven't gone to see them in over a decade, even though they're one of my very favorite bands.

The classic rock bands didn't lip-sync, they don't have to because they're not putting on dance spectacles, they're just standing there singing.

Posted by: Henry Holland | Feb 6, 2012 2:21:52 PM

16. Thanks to M.I.A next year's half time act will be Taylor Swift feat Vince Gill

Posted by: Billy | Feb 6, 2012 3:48:59 PM

17. Why has no one brought up that her middle finger move was choreographed? Watch the music video, she does it at the same point in the song. NBC screwed up by not censoring it in time.

And Bruce, whether you like it or not she's a gay icon. And she's being talked about on a gay blog. Not sure how you could be surprised. There's nothing abnormal about it.

Posted by: That Burning Sensation | Feb 6, 2012 4:26:48 PM

18. there will be 30,000 deaths this year in America from gunviolence.

there will be no deaths in America this year from "giving the middle finger"

amazingly, politicians that are photographed with guns aren't criticized and people choose, instead, to get worked up about a woman giving the finger.

messed. up. priorities.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Feb 6, 2012 4:32:43 PM

19. I'm part of that "grassroots"; been a fan of this site since inception.

MORE MADONNA!!!!!!! LOVE HER!

Thanks.

Posted by: Marc | Feb 6, 2012 6:38:13 PM

20. ok: football viewers angry with M.I.A.'s middle finger, and not at all troubled by Joe Paterno's laissez-faire response to a report of child rape.

congrats, football viewers. you're stupid.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Feb 6, 2012 7:06:40 PM

21. Ummm, folks, why is anyone surprised? If they are then people need to start delving a little further into the work history of the music artists they hire. She is not known for her "Christian values". So you get what you pay for. A potty mouthed musician that every now and then has music which makes us dance.

Posted by: Todd | Feb 6, 2012 8:58:28 PM

22. Who is MIA?

Posted by: jack | Feb 6, 2012 11:25:04 PM

23. She gave THE FINGER?!?! What a HORRIBLE, AWFUL, UNTALENTED, UGLY WOMAN!

Psh, you guys are sounding like old farts. MIA makes fantastic music, and I got a kick out of her flipping the bird to the whole country. People can be such prudes.

Posted by: James | Feb 7, 2012 3:59:24 AM