I'm Gay | News | YouTube

BigGayDeal.com

Teen Tells Mom 'I'm Gay', Posts Entire Event to YouTube: VIDEO

Mallow610

YouTuber Mallow610 came out to his mother and posted it online. The must-watch video of the day. Those of you who have been through this process can relate to the nervousness beforehand (I know I can). We should all be so lucky to have a parent like this.

ImgayHe writes:

"Finally got the strength to come out to my mom. My Mom has been extremely supportive. I could not ask for anyone else. Love you :) Every circumstance is different and you will know when the right time to come out is. Stay strong. Babz and I are here for you. :) Note: I decided to post this so that I could share my experience with you. Hopefully it will be an inspiration to those who do not have such supportive families."

When she says, "I am a great mom," she's absolutely right. Congratulations Mallow610.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Teens are like this. They mumble and fiddle with their phones. He was hanging on her every word. And I loved the bit about how "Stubbornness is a choice.". She's a great mom with such a pure heart.

Posted by: AJ | Feb 24, 2012 10:03:35 AM

2. It doesn't sound like he has been very nice to her for many years. I hope that changes.

Posted by: Charles | Feb 24, 2012 10:34:19 AM

3. I don't understand why there's so many people complaining that this is a private moment that shouldn't be broadcast. Every gay or lesbian who considers themselves out to everyone has gone through this step. By sharing this step with the world, he's sharing it with a lot of kids and adults who haven't yet found the courage to come out. Witnessing this can only be a good thing for them. (And stop texting!)

Posted by: Kevin | Feb 24, 2012 10:35:03 AM

4. This is like Scream 4. What an obnoxious, fame hungry kid. Of course he didn't get a real job. It's a generation of kids who don't want to actually work. They just want YouTube fame. How can he be on his phone texting? WHAT A trashy narcissist.

Posted by: Bob | Feb 24, 2012 10:38:53 AM

5. PUT DOWN THAT PHONE!
    Your mun is LOVELY, how rude texting!

Posted by: rik | Feb 24, 2012 11:09:03 AM

6. I'm laughing at the texting comments. Soooo out of touch with the kids today. A teenager wouldn't stop texting if his life depended on it and asking them to do so would be equivalent to shaking your walker at them and yelling about your lawn ... in short you sound like old coots!

Great video and a cute Mom!!

Posted by: Mitch | Feb 24, 2012 11:12:59 AM

7. The mom went on and on because the kid didn't show any interest in the impact of this conversation. The kid could have either stopped his mother by actually talking to her, telling her he was aware of every point she was making or whatever.

This was more of an 'event' for youtube views then a serious thing. Sadly, it worked. His channel will blow up with views and comments, be them hateful or supportive. So the kid, who shows such little respect for his mother and for the entire coming-out process gets rewarded for being a tool.

Posted by: Pedigru | Feb 24, 2012 12:06:30 PM

8. Dude, your mom is being so progressive and listening to your hard content. At least TRY to LIMIT your texting. Just be with her. I'm sure she'd like to have your UNDIVIDED attention as she so generously gave it to you. How would you have felt if she was listening while putting groceries away, or cleaning the kitchen or cooking? She stopped and was just WITH you. Try to be with her too. She's an awesome Mom.

Posted by: Marko | Feb 24, 2012 12:17:50 PM

9. so many haters. He's a teen. Kids today have phones when they're 5. They grow up texting. Its the new normal. he's a lucky guy to have a mom who realizes that being gay has challenges and accepts her son for who he is and is proud of him.

Have to say.. when I came out to my folks.. it was the first time I'd hugged my father in 10 years. All he said to me was that it didn't make a difference, that I was still his son and that he loved me no matter what and only wanted me to be happy.

We should all be so lucky to have parents this supportive and understanding.

Posted by: NorthoftheBorder | Feb 24, 2012 12:27:56 PM

10. This is why he is on his phone, per his video description on Youtube. "Also, I know I am on my phone the whole time. My phone is my comfort blanket. I literally cannot put it down when I'm anxious. I do not mean any disrespect to the content or conversation."

Posted by: good4them | Feb 24, 2012 1:19:32 PM

11. You guys, he's just a teenager. Give him a break. You think you were perfect when (if) you came out to your parents when you were that young?

My only thing is, the mother is talking really loud like she knows she's being filmed, and she keeps looking at the camera. Did he tell her he was filming? If so it seems like that would effect her reaction, especially if she knows he posts his videos on YouTube. And if not, how is that even possible? She doesn't know there is something different in the kitchen right where she keeps looking?

Posted by: Bart | Feb 24, 2012 2:22:42 PM

12. @Ambrose LOL. My thoughts exactly.

Posted by: Rick | Feb 24, 2012 3:00:56 PM

13. If you check out the boys youtube links, he has a ton of fashion and beauty tip videos. Amusing how the mom mentioned knowing he was gay after she saw his yt videos. LOL

Posted by: JD | Feb 24, 2012 3:38:32 PM

14. I agree-why didn't this kid stand still at SOME point and why didn't he ditch the stupid texting? Couldn't he have just stood there with his arms folded or something? SO disappointing. He goes to all this trouble, only to barely look his Mom in the face for more than a few seconds and his big brave moment? Muttering, "I'm gay" nearly under his breath? Then the big bang cop out, that he's "Bi".
    I know how scary it is to tell your Mom, I did it too. For the love of God, fella...grow up and grow a set.

Posted by: kathy | Feb 24, 2012 3:56:29 PM

15. @AMBROSE. Yep. She's a girl.

Posted by: kai | Feb 24, 2012 4:35:58 PM

16. @SYRAX:
    Yeah , individually for me too.

It was death by a thousand cuts.

This kid was doing his best, and whether his best was holding the Pass at Thermopylae
    or just being shy and scared and texting, doesn't matter.
    It's him, his life, his effort.
    I think he is brave and the times and place he lives in have helped him.So bon voyage, it's going to be a long journey.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Feb 24, 2012 5:34:54 PM

17. I get how people could think this is "over sharing" and I don't necessarily agree with that, but here's how I see it:

1. This was a very positive coming out experience which could help other young, gay teens in similar situations. Mark my words, this video will probably help more than one kid come out to their parent(s).

2. Maybe rolling the camera was how he was able to force himself to go and do it. I can't say how long I waited to "come out," when I knew I was gay and felt ready before I could feel good enough about the situations and circumstances to actually go out and do it.

Eventually, my way of dealing with that ... shall we say, stage fright? ... was to just write a darn letter to my Mom and diary post on Myspace for friends (ah, Myspace...).

I could see how someone in this generation would feel the similarly about youtube as I did Myspace or snail mail.

3. Being a gay teen, never mind a teen, isn't easy and sometimes our "friends" at that age (or any age) these days are often people we know and chat with online. So, in a lot of ways, this is sharing something intimate with his friends as much as it's "over sharing." Having friends at school or work or anything like that is great, but when those aren't always available, having them on youtube, or social networks or online games is a horrible alternative, especially when sometimes -- especially under anonymous handles -- it can be easier to be open about yourself in those circumstances.

So, yeah... it's over sharing, but that over sharing helps people (including the poster) and is happening within the context of new communities that leave us little choice but to over share, if we want to be a part of them. I don't think we should have any problem with it and, moreover, this is neither the first nor the last time we'll see something like this posted again.

It's a new frontier we're living in, gentlemen. We're just going to have to living in a smaller, bigger world.

Posted by: Ryan | Feb 24, 2012 6:01:43 PM

18. Whoops -- a couple of typos in that above.

Just wanted to correct two of them. In the beginning, I meant to say how I could see it as over sharing, not that I disagreed with that. Over sharing is just a part of our culture now.

The second typo I wanted to correct was toward the end. I said, "Having friends at school or work or anything like that is great, but when those aren't always available, having them on youtube, or social networks or online games is a horrible alternative."

I meant to say it *isn't* a horrible alternative.

Posted by: Ryan | Feb 24, 2012 6:06:06 PM

19. Nice kid, nice, decent mom.

Put away the damn phone, make eye contact, fully engage with the person you're having a serious conversation with.

Posted by: ratbastard | Feb 24, 2012 7:08:58 PM

20. 'Some stuff should be private. We're as a society getting too third person voyeuristic.'

==================

And too narcissistic

Posted by: ratbastard | Feb 24, 2012 7:13:30 PM

21. Daniel is a lucky guy and I'm not quite sure he realizes how lucky he is to have a mom like that. She's right about Daniel being stubborn too. He's a kid still and that's evident in his inability to focus. Nonetheless, one comes away happy for both of them and wishes them much happiness.

Posted by: Charles Lemos | Feb 24, 2012 9:04:44 PM

22. I don't get why people are on him on being on his phone. I laughed when I told my sister, it was a defense mechanism. I'm sure it was his to be on his phone. It was hard to look at people's eyes directly for me because I didn't really know what they would say or do. Give him a break. He filmed this because he has a youtube channel, I'm sure this will give at least one guy/girl the courage to come out. When I decided to come out, I watch many youtube videos about coming out.

Posted by: jeff | Feb 24, 2012 9:33:15 PM

23. Sweet kid, sweet Mom, folksy cabinets and pans. American as apple pie.

Posted by: Rob | Feb 24, 2012 10:03:51 PM

24. WHAT A WONDERFUL MOM!

Posted by: KDNA | Feb 25, 2012 12:03:59 AM

25. Umm, it's not like he's 13. He's 18 or 19. And his mother clearly knew already, as she states. This seems likely to have been staged and done for promotion.

Posted by: Paul R | Feb 25, 2012 12:56:48 AM