American Family Association | Ellen DeGeneres | News

BigGayDeal.com

One Million Moms Go After JC Penney for Hiring 'Open Homosexual' Ellen DeGeneres

One Million Moms, a subset of the hate group American Family Association, is attacking JC Penney for hiring Ellen DeGeneres as its spokesperson. Says the group in an action alert:

EllenFunny that JC Penney thinks hiring an open homosexual spokesperson will help their business when most of their customers are traditional families. More sales will be lost than gained unless they replace their spokesperson quickly. Unless JC Penney decides to be neutral in the culture war then their brand transformation will be unsuccessful.

Their marketing strategy is to help families shop and receive a good value for their money. Degeneres is not a true representation of the type of families that shop at their store. The majority of JC Penney shoppers will be offended and choose to no longer shop there. The small percentage of customers they are attempting to satisfy will not offset their loss in sales.

JC Penney has made a poor decision and must correct their mistake fast to retain loyal customers and not turn away potential new, conservative shoppers with the company's new vision.

One Million Moms is calling on its followers to call JC Penney and demand they replace DeGeneres. Their numbers are 972-431-8200 (customer service) and 972-431-1000 (corporate headquarters). We suggest you do the opposite.

Comments

1. I just wrote to their headquarters. But it's not over.. I will do it again soon.

This whole thing makes me sick.. Ellen has done so much good in the world. Is to much to ask these nuts to just say ty

Posted by: justin | Feb 1, 2012 2:50:03 PM

2. I might actually shop at JC Penny sometime now. A "subset" of the 3 people at AFC isn't "a million." These idiots couldn't organize a boycott if their lives depended on it.

Posted by: CraigC | Feb 1, 2012 2:55:45 PM

3. So are they saying that gay people don't shop at JC Penney? I've shopped there.

Posted by: rb | Feb 1, 2012 2:59:24 PM

4. When Penney withdrew their advertising from Ellen (the ABC sitcom on which Ellen outed herself) I cut-up my Penney credit card and mailed the bits to the company President.

This gets them back to neutral, as far as I'm concerned.

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Feb 1, 2012 3:07:49 PM

5. "One Million Moms, a subset of the hate group American Family Association, is" probably a fiftyish balding man who works in a dimly lit closet that not even a trip to JC Penny's could brighten up.

BTW, one million in a nation of at least 150 million shoppers is a fraction of one percent. I believe JC Penny knows how to do that math too.

Posted by: Only a million? | Feb 1, 2012 3:20:07 PM

6. My coworker and I have decided to join the OMM site in order to use their own website to infiltrate their cause. There is a pre-written email for each issue that they compel their members to send out supporting their stance. We are deleting the pre-written message, writing our own pro-equality message, and changing the subject to Pro-Equality Infiltration. If enough people help in this way, we can overcome their cause from within their own site.

Posted by: Matt | Feb 1, 2012 3:37:45 PM

7. I grew up in a church that spent too much time on this kind of stupidity...always ready to boycott something...from dish soap to television shows they didn't actually watch.

Posted by: @fedora76 | Feb 1, 2012 3:39:40 PM

8. One Million Moms = Politifact = Irony.

Posted by: doug | Feb 1, 2012 3:40:52 PM

9. The fb page for One Million Moms has 908 subscribers.

Posted by: FernLaPlante | Feb 1, 2012 3:46:16 PM

10. only a mill

15o mill shoppers well maybe but there are about 320 mill americans (about 1/3 = future shoppers)

Posted by: say what | Feb 1, 2012 4:08:21 PM

11. Better yet, go to their corporate facebook page and post a message of your support.

Posted by: Myke | Feb 1, 2012 4:29:40 PM

12. Little Kiwi...you kill me...I bet you are hilarious posting on Facebook too...That comment on Maggie Gallagher is a keeper and I just might use it with a slight variation someday when the occasion presents itself.

Posted by: Todd | Feb 1, 2012 4:37:08 PM

13. I think that One Million Moms has got there wires crossed. I'm pretty sure J C Penny hired her because she is the host of a very successful day-time talk show who's audience is mainly made up of stay at home moms

Posted by: Joseph | Feb 1, 2012 4:53:25 PM

14. So let them shop elsewhere- where are they gonna go- Nordstom???? Lol

Posted by: Toddb | Feb 1, 2012 4:53:51 PM

15. "Funny that JC Penney thinks hiring an black spokesperson will help their business when most of their customers are white." = No different.

Vile.

If this isn't bigotry, what is?

Posted by: incredulous | Feb 1, 2012 4:58:24 PM

16. JCP--Good for you. Ellen is a fine person and is a good role model for all. Keep her support if you want mine.

Posted by: Chuck Lampman | Feb 1, 2012 5:00:35 PM

17. Apparently there are 1,000,000 women that have nothing to do. Get a life in the real world ladies, "homosexuals" are here and we are not going anywhere no matter how loud you yell.

Posted by: susan faccone | Feb 1, 2012 5:42:08 PM

18. "One Million Moms who are afraid their traditional daughters won't have an ample supply of men to marry them off to".

Posted by: Carlos | Feb 1, 2012 5:50:59 PM

19. Isn't this the same group that pressured stores to stop selling Ben & Jerry's Schweddy Balls?

Posted by: piernudo | Feb 1, 2012 5:51:12 PM

20. Thank you JC Penny's. I love Ellen.
    I think I'll shop there more often now.
    Kudo's!!!

Posted by: Lori | Feb 1, 2012 6:44:11 PM

21. There is nothing wrong with whatever sexuality someone is, and whether they are out or not. This is silly. Kudos to JC Penny's! I will shop there more now!

Posted by: Mackenzie | Feb 1, 2012 7:51:20 PM

22. One Million Moms = three frigid witches on a Tandy

Posted by: Tarc | Feb 1, 2012 8:43:58 PM

23. To the one million moms (LOL) put up or shut up.

Posted by: Jack | Feb 1, 2012 9:06:14 PM

24. Does anyone else share my memory that JC Penney pulled their advertising from Ellen DeGeneres's sitcom "Ellen" when Ellen's character came out in 1997?

My recollection is that JC Penney pulled out while Sears did not -- and I switched all my JC Penney shopping over to Sears.

If my memory is correct, this is a really delicious development. I wonder if Ellen herself remembers or knows that JC Penney had homophobicly pulled their advertising in 1997. That was a shameful, Cracker Barrel-esque moment in their corporate history.

Anyway, the "One Million Moms" statement is incredibly offensive -- shockingly overt in its bigotry. And bashing Ellen is an extremely stupid tactic. She may literally be the most widely liked person in America.

I also wonder if One Millions Moms and the American College of Pediatricians (a very small religious-right group so named to be confused -- WWJD and all -- with the vastly larger and legitimate American Academy of Pediatrics) would fit into the conference room of my local public library with chairs left over?

Posted by: My boycott of JCP is now over | Feb 1, 2012 9:06:37 PM

25. I've been married to my partner for 33 years and we've always gone to JC Penny. Gee, and our parents, our brothers, our aunts, cousins and nieces all consider us part of their traditional family - as we do them. Where or where do you flying relgious wing nuts get your perceptions of reality? Millions of women (and men) adore Ellen Degeneres. Your boycotting isn't worth a mosquito fart.

Posted by: Christina | Feb 1, 2012 9:12:06 PM