Ellen DeGeneres | News

JC Penney to 'One Milllion Moms': We Won't Fire Ellen

Ellen_obama

Earlier in the week I wrote about the AFA group One Million Moms' campaign against JC Penney to fire Ellen DeGeneres as its spokesperson because she's an "open homosexual".

Ain't gonna happen:

But as it stands, this campaign against Ellen won't impact J.C. Penney's decision. In an emailed statement to Yahoo Shine, J.C. Penney confirmed it "stands behind its partnership with Ellen DeGeneres."

More than 25,000 people signed a petition drawn up by GLAAD to support Ellen, and 95% of the L.A. Times readers supported JC Penney hiring Ellen in a poll.

Also, did you see Ellen challenge Michelle Obama to a push-up contest this week?

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I'm going shopping...

Posted by: Dave | Feb 3, 2012 11:42:09 AM

2. JCP has done the right thing. I'm glad I placed an online order yesterday.

Posted by: DiatribesAndOvationsTo | Feb 3, 2012 11:54:18 AM

3. I gotta sign that Glaad petition. And I'm going to do my spring clothes shopping at JCPenny's.

Posted by: MKe | Feb 3, 2012 12:00:23 PM

4. Susan G Komen reverses there decision to end funding of Planned Parenthood and now this, good news alround!

Posted by: NY2.0 | Feb 3, 2012 12:08:24 PM

5. Speak out against the idiots, and people listen.

Posted by: TJ | Feb 3, 2012 12:11:35 PM

6. There are a lot of words to describe Michelle Obama, but when I saw this I just kept thinking "She is too cute." I love her.

Posted by: RafiD'Angelo | Feb 3, 2012 12:11:55 PM

7. I just love that, if you'd told people 10 years ago that within a decade you'd see the #1 daytime talk show host (a lesbian) doing a push-up contest with the African-American First Lady, people never would've believed it. We sometimes take for granted how quickly and remarkably things have changed.

Posted by: Dback | Feb 3, 2012 12:30:41 PM

8. Mrs. Obama is an amazing and inspirational role model for all of us. She relates to so many people on so many levels.....Brava Mrs Obama!

Posted by: Llloyd | Feb 3, 2012 12:34:21 PM

9. I called JC Penny's to give them my support in keeps Ellen! Yehaw!!!!!!!!!! Another x-tian compagain fails...

Posted by: Silas | Feb 3, 2012 1:22:38 PM

10. I sent JCPenney an email the other day expressing my support of them/ellen and got this back:

"Our recent announcement, rooted in rich heritage, re-imagines every aspect of our business to become America's favorite store.

We appreciate your feedback and are equally excited to partner with America's favorite host and former jcpenney associate, Ellen Degeneres, to help tell our story."

This was actually clearly written by a human because the first paragraph was in reference to something I had also written in regards to their re-brand.

I know Penney's isnt seen as the coolest or most current store, but I find things to buy there consistently more often than some of their other breathren (Sears, the dreadful Kohls). I just bought a great pair of Levi's for $40 the other day--they go for almost twice that at the actual Levis stores. Their new re-brand is going to possibly be the most exciting retail industry story of the year (I follow this stuff closely) now that they have the former head of Apple's retail division and they are aggressively modernizing their stores and product mix. JCPenney may wind up becoming a fairly contemporary place again, very soon.

Posted by: Anonn | Feb 3, 2012 1:29:15 PM

11. Ellen Degeneres + Michelle Obama = Just Awesome

Good on JCP for standing up for Ellen, millions love/adore Ellen and her good humour, she's come too far to have to deal with the kind of bigotry AFA promotes, same people who think they can turn the world back toward bigotry if and when they get the chance.

Posted by: Redebbm | Feb 3, 2012 2:07:54 PM

12. Ellen's been a spokeswoman for Covergirl since 2008 and I don't remember there being any uproar. Do these moms not wear make-up?

Posted by: That Burning Sensation | Feb 3, 2012 2:12:51 PM

13. @Anon-I received the same email response from JCP

Posted by: Grover Underwood | Feb 3, 2012 2:13:29 PM

14. Dback

yepp

Posted by: say what | Feb 3, 2012 2:18:29 PM

15. NY2.0

actually no they didn't

komen said they will continue this year's funding to PP for breast cancer screening which wasn't an issue anyway...it was going to pay this years grants

They said PP has to reapply for next year ...which is what this is all about with no quarantee that they will cover next year

In other words koeman just did PR BS and you fell for it.

Keep the pressure on that the fire the right wing nutz and confirm that they will pay the grants next year to PP

Posted by: say what | Feb 3, 2012 2:34:56 PM

16. PS

here is info on how Koeman is doing PR BS and trying to sucker everyone

Posted by: say what | Feb 3, 2012 2:37:33 PM

17. This just makes me feel ashamed because I can't do 25 pushups. :(

Posted by: RandySF | Feb 3, 2012 2:41:10 PM

18. I have always shopped at JC Penney. However, I now feel the need to go shopping there this weekend. Sure seems like I won't have to deal with stroller moms, as they won't be there.

Posted by: Dave | Feb 3, 2012 2:52:04 PM

19. This is too cute !! I just love both these women and think they should run on their own ticket in November.

Posted by: Paul B. | Feb 3, 2012 2:55:45 PM

20. Dear One Million Moms,

Re: The "Culture War"

You lost!

Get over it.

America

Posted by: Caliban | Feb 3, 2012 3:04:04 PM

21. One Million Moms, you win! After all, no company has survived having Ellen has its spokesperson. Covergirl? Gone! American Express? Dust! Disney? A parking lot!

Posted by: Adam Sass | Feb 3, 2012 3:41:09 PM

22. Funny, that's what i told the AFA, too! J.C. Penney's isn't going to fire Ellen. She's beloved by both gays and straights....

Posted by: Mister D | Feb 4, 2012 2:08:48 AM

23. I know JCP is off of most people's radars here....but if you're looking to support them, they have the best polos I've ever purchased (St. John's Bay - pique), best undershirts I've ever purchased (Stafford -- available in tall and extra tall), and the best cheap sheets I've ever purchased (300TC easy care are the smoothest, coolest sheets - essential for summer).

Posted by: Robert | Feb 4, 2012 9:52:59 AM

24. My mom always ordered everything from the JC Penny catalog. I wondered why. Now i will do the same.

Posted by: JJ Robins | Feb 4, 2012 12:07:18 PM

25. JCPenny is an awful store. This is good publicity for them, but there core shopping audience is not gay, and they made a terrible mistake. Do you really think gay people buy JC Penny's clothes? That's suburban mom attire and they just pissed off suburban moms. DUMB, DUMB, DUMB.

BTW, Ellen is a terrible choice for JC Penny.

Posted by: Martha D | Feb 4, 2012 2:11:10 PM