2012 Election | Minnesota | Mitt Romney | News

Mitt Romney Waves to Gay Activist After Being Glitter-Bombed in Minnesota: VIDEO

Glitter_romney

Mitt Romney was glitter-bombed by a gay activist at an Eagan, Minnesota campaign stop today, Think Progress LGBT reports. Romney then took the stage where he waved at the activist, and then called the glitter "victory confetti":

Hi there, how are you? Hi there! How are you? Good to see you! There you go….Hey listen guys, I’m delighted to be here with you, this is an exciting time. I’m happy for a little celebration. This is confetti! We just won Florida! We’re just going to win the White House next! Let me tell you, President Obama is not going to be seeing a lot of confetti.

Romney, who apparently now thinks he's a singing star, then sang "America the Beautiful", again.

Watch the clips, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Yeah, Steven Tyler did a better job with the Star Spangled Banner than Romney does with his vocalizing, but I still question whether this glitterbombing stuff is really (and I hate myself for using this word, but) productive.

Posted by: Butch | Feb 1, 2012 3:18:50 PM

2. The left has got to stop glitter bombing and the right has got to stop singing.

And though I never thought that I'd compliment Mitty on anything EVER, that was a pretty good response.

Posted by: Paul R | Feb 1, 2012 3:20:38 PM

3. IMH: Glitter-bombing = Puerile = Counterproductive.

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | Feb 1, 2012 3:23:50 PM

4. glitter bombing is just too cute, for something as serious as civil rights

Posted by: would MLK do it? | Feb 1, 2012 3:33:44 PM

5. He's so stupid he thinks the gliterbombing was intended as praise.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Feb 1, 2012 3:34:45 PM

6. @David: I agree that he's dumb as dirt---he gave his cult $4 million last year---but he contained his emotions and pretended like it was a compliment. He's being the anti-Gingrich. It was a wise move. He knows all about glitter bombing since it's happened to pretty much every GOP candidate, and he took it down by pretending it was cool.

Makes him look like he takes the high road, and gave him a chance to insult Obama. Pretty good politics, instead of having goons take down the guy who did it.

Posted by: Paul R | Feb 1, 2012 3:40:16 PM

7. Glitter bombing is so beyond ridiculous can we please stop?? Can't we hold some homo forum and vote to ban this??? So distracting, so pointless, so ineffective.

P.S. Hate you but great response to this Romney.

Posted by: Opinionated | Feb 1, 2012 3:42:46 PM

8. Can all politicians stop singing? I found Romney's and Obama's recent singing deeply embarrassing.

Posted by: Eric26 | Feb 1, 2012 3:45:41 PM

9. you think Glitterbombing is ineffective? i'd love to hear what specific actions you think will change the mind of a right-wing pious hypocritical Mormon worth 200 million dollars.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Feb 1, 2012 3:48:01 PM

10. Everything this guy does is rehearsed and calculated. He probably would have hired someone to glitter bomb him if it didn't happen soon so he could play this line. And the singing? He must've gotten good feedback on that so had to do it again. Just another mormon, they always have that weirdness about them like everything is an act. I keep waiting for one to pull its face off and be an alien underneath.

Posted by: PDX Guy | Feb 1, 2012 3:48:32 PM

11. Canadian "Kiwi" keeps insisting on telling LGBT American's how to fix our country when he's simply sucking at the teat of equality achieved by activists up North who came beforehere. As stupid as the Glitter Bomb Queens are, I can't imagine they're imagining they're going to change Romney's mind about anything. The purpose of such actions, Mon Petit, has traditionally been to call attention to the other person's bigotry or whatever.

BUT the idea that glitter is the way to do it could only come from those with the mind of a five-year old. Such a faggy symbol reduces us to the trivial, silly stereotype so many still want to believe. Imagine those at Stonewall just throwing glitter at the cops. Imagine Harvey Milk just throwing glitter. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Posted by: Michael Bedwell | Feb 1, 2012 4:03:09 PM

12. imagine michaelbedwell taking time away from masturbating to the images of a dead soldier whom he's harboured a lifelong obsession with to remind us all that he's also a self-hating 'mo who gets insecure about things bigots describe as "faggy" or "queeny"

*yawn*

special kudos to the LGBT Activists and Equality Advocates up here in Canada, whom I'm proud to call Family :D

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Feb 1, 2012 4:18:00 PM

13. Wow, what crappy responses Kiwi. If you can't imagine something better than glitter bombs, then you have no imagination. And the assault on Bedwell is just pure stupidity. For someone who spends so much time talking about family, maybe you need to get some friends.

Posted by: Paul R | Feb 1, 2012 4:40:46 PM

14. @Little Kiwi: You ask about "what specific actions...will change the mind of a right-wing pious hypocritical Mormon?" I don't think changing this single man's mind is really the point, but I do think a more productive use of time and resources would be registering oneself and others to vote Democrat, organizing fundraisers/donating to progressive LGBT causes, speaking at one's church/synagogue/community group, and on and on. Rommey's cheerful and unflappable response instantly took any sting away from the bomber and made the bomber look like a frivolous, insubstantial gadfly. Unfortunately, the score is Romney 1, Glitterbomber 0.

Posted by: Patrick | Feb 1, 2012 4:50:58 PM

15. Enough with the glitter bombs.

They express nothing except childishness.

Now that Romney has secret service protection, I expect that throwing anything at him will merit a swift reaction.

How would anyone know that someone is throwing just glitter, and not something worse.

Carry signs, do mic checks, shout . . . stop throwing things.

Posted by: Continuum | Feb 1, 2012 4:58:54 PM

16. I'm not sure what the point is either
    But I like anything that happens to mitt

Posted by: George M | Feb 1, 2012 5:13:56 PM

17. Projecting your personal sexual fetishes on others, Kiwi, is amusing. As for AGAIN trying to smear me by injecting my longtime friendship with the late Leonard Matlovich—who did more, sacrificed more for gay equality in the last 13 years of his life than you will in 90—into the discussion reveals what pond scum you really are. And for the record, he was an airman not a soldier.

Posted by: Michael Bedwell | Feb 1, 2012 5:18:01 PM

18. I totally agree wit Patrick's response to Little Kiwi.I couldn't have said it any better, so I won't try.

Posted by: Jack | Feb 1, 2012 5:47:31 PM

19. You win this round, Mittens.

Posted by: JD | Feb 1, 2012 6:15:03 PM

20. It's funny when two of Towleroad's biggest blowhards square off against one another.

Now all I'm waiting for is Rick to tell us how glitter-bombing is part of a heterosexual female plot to emasculate gay men.

Posted by: Nat | Feb 1, 2012 6:19:02 PM

21. He's like a character from "Family Guy" but I can't decide which one.

Posted by: oh.come.on | Feb 1, 2012 7:11:10 PM

22. Nat, so true lol Rick or Jason

Who's Leonard Matlovich?

Posted by: George M | Feb 1, 2012 7:43:47 PM

23. I looked him up
    good man very brave

Posted by: George M | Feb 1, 2012 7:49:29 PM

24. I think it's reached the point where right-wing politicians hire their own glitter bombers in order to gain credibility with their followers. Time to retire glitter bombing to the tool box.

Posted by: Perry | Feb 1, 2012 10:04:24 PM

25. Kiwi, who can think so clearly sometimes, may now be considered persona non grata for his several creepy and idiotic remarks here. Too bad, a lot of us used to like this once fierce pixie from Canada who's flapping pie hole has now, with time, shown him to be both viscious and small. Go away.

Posted by: uffda | Feb 2, 2012 1:17:58 AM