2012 Election | Arizona | Immigration | Mexico | Paul Babeu | Phoenix

Anti-Immigration Sheriff Paul Babeu's Gay Affair With Undocumented Immigrant

SheriffBabeuSheriff Paul Babeu, of Pinal County, AZ, is one of the most recognized faces of American anti-immigration sentiment. He's been a FOX News regular. He appeared in a John McCain campaign ad calling for a border fence. In January, Babeu announced his run for the United States Congress in a macho press release headed "It's Time For a New Sheriff In Washington," in which he decried the "400,000 illegal crossings into our state every year."

Well. According to a story broken this week in the Phoenix New Times, Babeu spent much of the last decade in a long-term gay relationship with an undocumented immigrant named Jose, whom Babeu threatened with deportation after their relationship ended.

From The Phoenix New Times:

He says [Babeu's] lawyer Chris DeRose demanded he sign an agreement that he would never breathe a word about the affair. But Jose (New Times is withholding his last name because Babeu and his attorney have challenged his legal status) refused.

The 34-year-old from central Mexico charges that the sheriff's lawyer warned against mentioning the affair with Babeu. DeRose said gossip about Babeu would focus attention on Jose, attention that could result in his deportation, Jose says.

... Babeu didn't respond to requests for comment by publication time for this article, but his attorney, DeRose, says the dispute between Jose and the sheriff concerned Jose's work on Babeu's websites. He says Jose was a former volunteer who hacked into a campaign website.

DeRose didn't immediately address the other claims against him and the sheriff, except to say, "I never threatened to deport anybody" and that "[Babeu's] not threatening anybody."

Babeu and Jose allegedly met on Gay.com in 2006. At some point, Jose began doing web work for Babeu, maintaining his campaign websites, Facebook profile and Twitter feed. Their relationship began to disintegrate after Jose discovered Babeu's profile on Adam4Adam and created a false profile to see if Babeu was amenable to an affair. After many messages and explicit photos exchanged between Babeu and Jose's alter-ego (including Babeu's self-portrait, above), Jose's alter-ego arranged a date with Babeu at a steak house. (Babeu told Jose's alter-ego to "pack an overnight bag.") Babeu showed up and was shocked to discover Jose in the parking lot.

After the couple split, Jose began posting disparaging remarks about Babeu online. Texts exchanged by the men during that time are both sad and illuminating. From New Times:

Jose shared text messages between him and Babeu with New Times. A September 4, 2011, text from the sheriff reads: "You can never have business after this and you will harm me and many others in the process . . . including yourself & your family."

A couple of minutes later, Babeu followed with: "And you say you have loved me? Papi . . . this is no good."

Jose responded: "Good threats. Wont work. Im already hurt me . . . and you didn't care."

They exchanged more texts on September 6.

Jose: "Dont threat me. Thats illegal. Im just speaking . . . true."

Babeu: "You have crossed the line. Better get an attorney. You brother will also be contacted."

Since then, Jose claims he's been a constant target of harassment by Babeu and his lawyer. New Times writer Monica Alonzo solicited comment from Nancy Jo-Merritt, a "long-time Phoenix immigration attorney":

"If what [Babeu's attorney] says is correct [about Jose's being illegal], either the sheriff had a long relationship with someone he knew was undocumented, while all the time being Mr. Bluster about the border and using it for political gain," or he threatened to deport someone he just broke up with, Merritt says.

"That's just the worst kind of hypocrisy."

She adds that federal immigration-enforcement agents have better things to do than "take care of Babeu's boyfriends."

Comments

1. Another message from the Sheriff's sister, Lucy: (same link as above)

Hi Caige, I am here, all this is true. Paul will not admit to it. He will have to soon than later because there are many more lovers than this that he has threatened. His Lawyer and him have already started rumors on me because he knows I am going to tell all the family secrets. I am not afraid of all of Paul threats and my father's. Paul is nothing but a bully. He needs to be stopped because he uses his position as Sheriff to intimidate people. Paul is not about being gay, he is about using males for sex and tossing them aside. He has too many male lovers to count. This is just the beginning. Have a nice night. Lucy Babeu

Posted by: S.C. | Feb 18, 2012 5:21:05 PM

2. Hi I'm Jeff, I don't bother reading things but I will comment anyway. After all, nothing exist outside the world inside my head. Facts? Lalalalalala

Posted by: Dev | Feb 18, 2012 5:40:17 PM

3. Hi I'm Rick. I'm so insecure with my masculinity that I have to lash out whenever it feels threatened. I want to be dominated by big bad men, but my manhood is so fragile that I cannot fulfill this fantasy, therefore I will just remain a bitter, self-loathing husk and project it to everybody else.

Posted by: Dev | Feb 18, 2012 5:45:54 PM

4. @Jeff - If you had bothered to follow the provided link to the article on the Phoenix New Times website, you would have seen the photo posted with the story that shows Babeu and Jose embracing... and Babeu's hand is inside Jose's shirt. Not much ambiguity there. Or is a photo showing physical intimacy not proof enough for you? (If it were Barack Obama with his hand inside the blouse of someone other than his wife, would it be enough proof then?)

And if you consider don't respect the journalistic standards of this blog, why do you read it? Go be a troll someplace else.

Posted by: MajorTom | Feb 18, 2012 5:51:40 PM

5. We have to stop feeding the republican Rick. When he posts remember a few things
    1. No one Hates women more the Rick
    2. No one Hates democrats more then Rick
    3. No one Hates gay men more who are "less then" him, although Rick is a fake person
    4. No ones life is a great as Ricks
    5. No one has worked harder then Rick to ensure we all have equal freedoms.
    6. No one works harder to get republicans elected then Rick.
    He should be what we all strive for

Posted by: GeorgeM | Feb 18, 2012 5:59:05 PM

6. "Papi . . . this is no good."

Do you like Pina Coladas, and getting caught by the Migra?

Sometimes, "LOL" won't cut it to express my feelings. This one got me hard, and I was stomping my feet on the floor and snorting, almost broke the glass top to my desk. SO MUCH HYPOCRISY AND WIN!

You can just hear them at night: "Come on Jose...cross my border...use the secret tunnel I showed you...I know it's dark and dirty, but on the other side... IS AMERICA!!"

--Didaskalos, in full Border Brujo mode.

Posted by: Didaskalos | Feb 18, 2012 6:06:07 PM

7. Ok, I'm a bit lost.

On the AdamtoAdam site he advertises a "buzzed body"......
    Does that just mean he shaves ?
    Apologies for being so shallow !

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Feb 18, 2012 6:08:57 PM

8. So he came out today
    Great just what the world needs anther gay republican

Posted by: GeorgeM | Feb 18, 2012 6:11:43 PM

9. another (gay) republican scumbag--further proof of how diverse the republican party ISN'T.

Posted by: Daniel Berry, NYC | Feb 18, 2012 6:17:05 PM

10. So it doesn't say on his page what the issues are and where he stands. He does say he's a true conservitive. I wonder what he'll say about gay issues?

Posted by: GeorgeM | Feb 18, 2012 6:25:38 PM

11. Matt Heinz involvement:

Posted by: Daniel | Feb 18, 2012 6:43:12 PM

12. Well to be fair I can't find anything where he's anti gay on issues

Posted by: GeorgeM | Feb 18, 2012 6:54:29 PM

13. Is this for real? lol You can't make this stuff up.

Posted by: Tony | Feb 18, 2012 7:11:00 PM

14. THIS IS VERY TYPICAL OF MOST AMERICAN WHITE CONSERVATIVES....HATE...HATE...HATE THIS GROUP AND THAT GROUP....YE SLEEP WITH TME BEHIND EVERYONES BACK! AND I HAVE TO ALSO ASK...WHAT IS UP WITH THESE MEXICANS WHO WANT TO BE WHITE SPOOOOOOOO BADLY...AND BE WITH SOMEONE WHITYE SOOOOOO BADLY THAT THEY SELL THEIR VERY SOULS OUT??????? WTF??????

Posted by: Shannon | Feb 18, 2012 7:42:32 PM

15. Okay, just for the sake of speculation, let's say that this story is about a jilted, stalking ex-lover. Let's say that the cease and desist stuff was about hacking and evil on the part of Jose. Lets assume he is the bad guy in this story.

(I wont even address pRICK's assertion that illegals are here to be used, and are deserving of exploitation. As noted above, RICK also reveals much about himself with his views about the motivations of others).

Tell me, conservatives. Babeu's facebook has posts about him proudly speaking at CPAC - as a closeted gay man. Babeu just had a press confrence, and has posted on his campaign website and facebook page, and came out as gay. Had he come out a month ago, do you still think he would have been allowed to speak?

I read many posts on his Facebook page saying that his being gay doesn't matter, that he still has people's support - in a party that would deny rights, reinstate DADT, and at the least, keep those nasty gays in the closet where they belong. His vulnerability in this "scandal" comes from being in the closet, even if he isn't being a hypocrite regarding illegal aliens. So many of the posts talk about him being a man of honor. Where is the honor of the closet?

Posted by: TJ | Feb 18, 2012 8:07:00 PM

16. TJ that's what I don't understand
    For the life of me I don't get how he honors the republican party. The people saying it doesn't matter are saying that because of the things he's done. If it was an average joe off the street whos just starting out these people would hold that against him and the party would eat him alive.

Posted by: GeorgeM | Feb 18, 2012 8:41:05 PM

17. I'm democrat, liberal and VERY anti illegal immigration. Not all liberals are for illegal immigration. The fact that is has ILLEGAL in it is enough for me. And living in an area that has been completely shattered as a result of illegal immigration, we know the consequences. And I and many, many Americans won't waver on this issue.

Posted by: AaronLosAngeles | Feb 18, 2012 8:41:17 PM

18. This man did nothing wrong, the illegal immigrant is the one who should be in trouble. This man didn't commit anything illegal...his illegal immigrant boyfriend hires an attorney? for what?...OUR court system which his illegal self should not at all be mandated to benefit from. If your first action in this country is an illegal act...then you are a burden on our nation. I say this as a black person and not some racist white.

Posted by: J.R | Feb 18, 2012 8:48:09 PM

19. Oh we're all so sure your black. J.R.

Got a link to a website with your picture on it/

You're a Republican -- therefore a congential LIAR!!!!!!

"This man did nothing wrong, the illegal immigrant is the one who should be in trouble."

What he did wrong was trust a SCUMBAG REPUBLICAN!!!!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Feb 18, 2012 8:54:34 PM

20. Aaron that's not the point
    The point is that this man driving issue, allowed the issue with this man. The other part of the point is if he really had a sex slave against his will, that's illegal for you and me as well.
    There's nothing wrong with being against illegal immigration, we all want it handled but if you're goin to lead the issues maybe you should be tru and turn your boyfriend in.

Posted by: GeorgeM | Feb 18, 2012 8:54:39 PM

21. Why do I get the feeling that many people on here who are as passionate about this illegal immigrant getting an "unfair" treatment are not nearly as passionate over gay rights. Are probably often playing devil's advocate in pro gay related stories and taking the side of the anti gay individual? From the latino gay community, I often see nothing but resent toward gays. Due to their machismo upbringing, you'll often hear them want to distance themselves with being gay. If that's how gay latinos feel, why would some LGBT be open to heterosexual illegal immigrants coming in this country knowing that demographic stands in the way of our equality? That's a valid point and one many gays have thought of.

Posted by: IonMovies | Feb 18, 2012 8:55:43 PM

22. The point is that this man driving the issue
    Sorry

Posted by: GeorgeM | Feb 18, 2012 8:59:58 PM

23. I post on this site often and certainly hope I don't offend any friends by stating this opinion, but I too rather resent illegal immigration (or 'anti immigration') being lumped in with gay rights. That a gay person being against illegal immigration makes them somehow less credible is a ridiculous assertion. I find it insulting that the two topics would be married together considering I am a tax paying legal resident of this nation fighting for my rights. Rights I earned before allowing myself to go to battle for an undocumented resident, when I know there are many negative stipulations that come with the presence of illegal immigrants, but not one concerning me as an American being treated as an American (in legislation). I'm not breaking any laws 'illegally' by being how I was born to be.

Posted by: Dynex | Feb 18, 2012 9:18:00 PM

24. Ion
    Whos open to illegal immigration?
    I think we're really looking at this from the wrong angle. He protected a criminal that's the point.

Posted by: GeorgeM | Feb 18, 2012 9:18:27 PM

25. In our state of California, illegal immigrants are suing for not being able to get a valid drivers license, claiming it limits their constitutional rights- ridiculous, huh?
    I've seen too many illegal immigrant lawyers out there who'll take a sue happy -illegal- client and create a fabricated story of woe is me to abuse the system
    I take Jose's claim with a grain of salt, and have a very hard time buying into the 'sex trade' worker allegations knowing this mans status, position, and very public figure. Too much rides on him to do that, but Jose has nothing to lose by going to the media and hiring a lawyer and playing the victim role to stay illegally in a country.

Posted by: Michelle | Feb 18, 2012 9:23:35 PM