Bears | Fire Island | News | Space | Towleroad Guide to the Tube

Towleroad Guide to the Tube #1066

CHERRY GROVE, FIRE ISLAND: 1976.

CLEANSPACE ONE: Switzerland plans space junk garbage truck.

FRIENDS FOREVER: Bear cub and wolf pup.

SAM TSUI: I Will Always Love You.

For recent Guides to the Tube, click HERE.

Comments

1. Hmmm...beach boys, a big box, a bear & a twink. Can't get much gayer than this! 8^D Thanks, Andy.

Posted by: the only hank in l.a. | Feb 16, 2012 5:48:36 PM

2. Great archival on the Fire Island..
    but check out the one on the West Side Piers (now Hudson River Park) VERY NYGay....

Posted by: mcNnyc | Feb 16, 2012 5:59:06 PM

3. The Fire Island and West Side Piers videos are by the great Nelson Sullivan. He died of a heart attack on July 4, 1989 just three days after he quit his full-time job to work on starting his own cable show to show some of his footage. He left a vast treasure trove of film covering the NY gay scene of the 1970s and 1980s. There are some links to his other works on his Wikipedia page, and the last I heard his best friend was trying to get more online:

Here is some of Nelson's footage of a very young RuPaul:

Posted by: Eric | Feb 16, 2012 7:02:10 PM

4. Love that Sam. He ought to be on Glee...much better than that Idol trash

Posted by: JEFFUWS | Feb 16, 2012 11:35:02 PM

5. I know, I know, I'm a big ole troll...but honestly, while I think this Sam guy has a nice pleasant voice, he is the epitome of how shows like Glee are hurting the quality of singers up and coming.

Don't get me wrong-- there are some talented bitches on that show-- but I grew up listening to Mariah, Whitney, some major vocal chops. All the kids have these days are stale, watered-down, white-washed arrangements of songs. Sam is very Disney-- no grit, no soul. His runs are all very technical...I don't get the feeling that he taps into his soul and really just gives us his soul on a platter.

RIP Whitney

Posted by: Alex | Feb 17, 2012 2:52:19 AM

6. Great video, that's about the time I came out.

Makes me a bit sad, lot of people I knew started dying about 5 years later from HIV & AIDS complications

Posted by: GaryJ | Feb 17, 2012 5:33:08 AM

7. Sam has a beautiful voice.

Posted by: GaryJ | Feb 17, 2012 5:37:01 AM