Crime | News | Oklahoma | Tulsa

BigGayDeal.com

Tulsa Teen Beaten Unconscious in Anti-Gay Attack at Party: VIDEO

Rogers

Cody Rogers, an 18-year-old from Tulsa, Oklahoma, was beaten unconscious at a party over the weekend because he is gay. FOX 23 reports:

C_rogersRogers is slowly starting to heal. “There were some ladies who invited their boyfriends (to a going away party) who had a problem with some of the homosexuals that were there."

Cody could hear the homophobic slurs from another room, and when those boyfriends were asked to leave the apartment, one refused. That person attacked cody’s friend, a 21 year-old girl.

“I stepped in and they threw me to the ground, obviously, I’m a little beat up,” Cody said. As he was on the ground,  the two teens attacking him kept shouting the slurs. His friends were shocked to see it all unfold.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Rogers has started a Facebook page in hopes of starting a conversation about changing Oklahoma's hate crime laws.

Comments

1. Hey before Rick says some crap...Cody was MAN enough to step up and defend a girl. That's how its done...even if you get your butt kicked you stand up for your friends!

Go Cody!

Posted by: Rin | Feb 29, 2012 10:15:59 AM

2. That is the worst, most fake looking picture.

Good on this guy for standing up for his friend! He doesn't look too badly beat so I hope he gave it better to the assholes who did it to him.

Posted by: Fenrox | Feb 29, 2012 10:20:53 AM

3. Most fake looking picture?

I think Taylor Garrett's "unblemished face with a an ear piercing gone bad enough to drip on a brand new brilliant white tank" might edge this one out a little.

Cody was probably a little drunk, hence the "I just got the ish kicked out of me and don't know if I feel it" face.

Posted by: kpo5 | Feb 29, 2012 10:24:55 AM

4. If you're gonna post a story
    about everyone who gets into a fight at a house party, bar or club, you're going to need a separate,dedicated website.

Posted by: ratbastard | Feb 29, 2012 10:34:58 AM

5. Ahh the first dumb comment!!!
    Keep posting stories, it's good to know what's going on and how Real men are working to make things better for all.

Posted by: GeorgeM | Feb 29, 2012 11:05:18 AM

6. Actually, RIN, if it had been another gay man being attacked, he probably would have done absolutely nothing, so it really just demonstrates the kind of emotional dependence on women that is as common among gay men, if not more so, as it is among straight men. Most gay men have severe difficulty forming emotional bonds with other men, just as straight men do...because of the culture we live in....so they gravitate towards women, instead......an unnatural sort of emotional attachment that leads to all kinds of unhappiness and dissatisfaction.

And apparently his "stepping in" consisted of nothing more than saying something, since he obviously got his butt beat pretty soundly, presumably because he either did not know how to throw a punch or would not do so.

Posted by: Rick | Feb 29, 2012 11:16:43 AM

7. Thats right we forgot women are to blame. How stupid of us.
    A day without your witch hunt Rick would be like a day without orange juice.
    I'm sure he's got bigger balls

Posted by: GeorgeM | Feb 29, 2012 11:25:50 AM

8. As a resident of Tulsa for some 26 years now, I must first say thank you to Fox News 23 for covering this and for giving exposure to the Dennis R. Neill Equality Center which many people do not know exists downtown.

Secondly, while Tulsa is wonderfully steeped in art and culture, it is not without it's homophobes. I, being a lesbian, have had a few run-ins with mostly young country type boys who are "grossed out" at the very sight of a gay person. It is not unbelievable that this happened to Cody.

Lastly, shame on all of you who have said his injuries look fake or that the pictures seemed doctored. When someone who is obviously outnumbered stands up and does the right thing despite knowing what the consequences might be, you should at least give respect to that individual, if not encouragement and praise to him for doing what he did.

Posted by: Jesie | Feb 29, 2012 11:41:22 AM

9. That picture does look fake. He probably added some of his make up to try to make it look worse than it was...No doubt a person doesn't deserve to be beat until unconsciousness...But if anyone deserved to have their butt kicked it is this kid...He is nothing but a mouthy punk...this wasn't a hate crime because he is gay..It makes me very mad when a story gets turnaround to make it look like it was something that it was not. If you are going to step in and take up for someone...that is honorable, but be prepared to take a few punches and don't make it look like it's a hate crime when you get your face smashed. If the cops were called and a party was going on and there was underage drinking...Well seems to me that they should have all been given tickets or taken to jail....or would it would have been a hate crime in doing so...Come on give us all a break...Hate Crime? Not in this case.........

Posted by: AmJ | Feb 29, 2012 11:48:23 AM

10. Rick punches like a girl.

Posted by: endo | Feb 29, 2012 11:48:39 AM

11. @Georgem, you say that only because you are unaware of the worldwide conspiracy of women against Rick.

Rick is all too aware of it. Every time he attempts to speak to a man, that man quickly flees. Obviously, women have already got to him, poisoning his mind against Rick.

Women spite Rick at every turn, for they recognise him as their nemesis; The obstacle to their plans for total world domination.

What ordinary folk see as mysogyny is really a defensive shield against womankind, and her powers of delusion and unnatural attachment.

Posted by: Urmensch | Feb 29, 2012 11:54:31 AM

12. AMJ
    Do you know him? Were you there? Did you do anything?

Posted by: GeorgeM | Feb 29, 2012 11:56:02 AM

13. @URMENSCH Haha, very funny. Problem is, though, that you just can't escape from facts.

And the facts are (and they are very well-documented empirically) that the vast majority of gay male relationships are short-lived, extreme promiscuity is rampant (with correspondingly high rates of STDs), social status in gay life is determined almost entirely by physical appearance (since impersonal sex is the form that most interaction takes) and self-destructive behavior is common (alcohol and drug abuse)--at the same time that gay male "icons"--i.e. the individuals they idolize and feel the greatest emotional affinity for--consist exclusively of straight women rather than men (including gay men)......and gay men are the only group in society that iconizes a group of people other than its own.

All these pheonomena are related--they don't occur in a vacuum, nor are they coincidence.

But you know that as well as I do.

Posted by: Rick | Feb 29, 2012 12:07:16 PM

14. What's the longest relationship for you Rick?

Posted by: GeorgeM | Feb 29, 2012 12:12:40 PM

15. And just when I thought Jason was the most miserable human being on the planet, Rick steps up and proves me wrong. You are in some seriously desperate need of therapy, Rick.

Posted by: ChristopherM | Feb 29, 2012 12:12:49 PM

16. Reminds me of what happened to Burke Burnett in Texas last fall when he was at a house party, and was eventually beaten and burned, because he is gay.

Sadly, being Oklahoma, the culture is generally anti-gay and avoiding homophobia is difficult. Without a hate crimes law, Cody doesn't really have any legal avenues here to see to it his attackers receive their just punishment. Hopefully the police do catch the cowardly bashers and they're off the streets for a very long time.

Also..............ignore Rick, people.

Posted by: Francis | Feb 29, 2012 12:14:13 PM

17. Yeah cause the straight world isn't ruled by physical appearance... What world do you live on?

Posted by: Bryce Ageno | Feb 29, 2012 12:16:17 PM

18. People. Get a grip. It looks fake because it's a picture of a cell phone displaying the picture, making all the colors look extra weird.

If the attack was faked, then why does he have the exact same injuries on his forehead in the second image where he's talking to a reporter?

Posted by: atomic | Feb 29, 2012 12:20:04 PM

19. AMJ
    If you don't know him, weren't there then you're judging the situation like everyone else.
    If you were there and did nothing well then you're just a scum bag

Posted by: GeorgeM | Feb 29, 2012 12:20:21 PM

20. Watch everybody. This is how I get rid of Rick... he disappears every time I make the following request.

Rick, as usual, you are making claims that are empirical (I'm glad you finally learned that word!) matters. You should point us to the peer-reviewed research that verifies the following claims about gay people:
    - the vast majority of gay male relationships are short-lived
    - extreme promiscuity is rampant (with correspondingly high rates of STDs)
    - social status in gay life is determined almost entirely by physical appearance
    - self-destructive behavior is common (alcohol and drug abuse)

Posted by: RyanInSacto | Feb 29, 2012 12:22:57 PM

21. Francis
    I hear ya on Rick, but to honest... I find him kinda interesting. I would love to pick his brain and fine out his life experiences. :-(
    I know I need help.

Posted by: GeorgeM | Feb 29, 2012 12:30:17 PM

22. He's interesting alright, George, I can't disagree about that. But I don't want to feed into his crazy.

What's sad, really, is that we have people like Mr. Rogers living in a hostile environment, being beaten and feeling unsafe with no legal protection because of their sexuality, yet we see people like Rick and others saying he faked the attack, or he's too feminine and that's why he got beaten as badly as he did. Talk about eating your own.

Posted by: Francis | Feb 29, 2012 12:41:43 PM

23. @Rick,

how do you know this? Good people--that's gay or straight--tend to defend people who are physically weaker. I feel that if a gay man of say 120lbs was attacked that this guy would have stepped in.

You can, however, choose to believe ill of other gay men. It's just a sad way to live--I mean, how do you even date if you have such contempt for other people like you?

Do you automatically cross men off the list if they don't look and act like Reggie Bush or Tony Romo? Lemme ask you this...Alex Pettyfer(sp) is kind of a waifish, "pretty" dude. Would you kick him out of bed?

I think you are confusing "macho" with "strength". Gandhi was not macho, but he was a strong man. Strong people are attractive. I have never seen either Little Kiwi or TJ, but they are attractive. TJ and Little Kiwi could be drag queens for all I know and I would prefer them to that morally inept Tom Brady because they are stronger men, IMO.

Please tell me you can see this...for all your bluster and dislike of all things feminine I can sense this...hopeful kid in you that I kinda like. I would hate to think you've limited your own prospects by forcing a limited worldview of what constitutes a man onto yourself.

We should all end up not with someone we feel meets a type, but that person that makes us laugh and our heart sing.

Posted by: Rin | Feb 29, 2012 12:41:46 PM

24. I agree Francis and I really don't think Rick would defend anyone in trouble, that's sad because we have many teens wanting out because they think / feel different. He doesn't help that with his war on feminine men and women, that's what it is, a war. If you close your eyes and have someone one read his post, slamming the gay community you would think it came from the christian coalition, AFA or FOTF. Or ex-gays!!

Incidentally Did you read how ex gay groups are helping pass anti gay amendments in WA and MN? Effing gross.

Posted by: GeorgeM | Feb 29, 2012 12:56:39 PM

25. guys, don't feed RICK - ask him for evidence of his supposed "manliness" - ask him for the URL to his own webpage or video on youtube where he shows us all the strong Out empowered masculine gay male role model he claims to be. Now, he won't be able to because he's still rather pathetically Closeted.

but....for real. try it. ask him, THAT - don't ask him questions, ask him to show his own example.

the little boy will run away :D

p.s. rock ON, Cody. cody is more man than rick will ever be.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Feb 29, 2012 1:04:26 PM