DOMA | Gay Marriage | Immigration | News

In Valentine's Video, Gay Man Announces He's Leaving U.S. to Reunite with Husband Deported by DOMA: VIDEO

Vdaydoma

Matthew and Yoav were legally married in the U.S. but are now separated because of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA). In a Valentine's Day video, Matthew announces he's leaving the U.S. to be with Yoav in Tel Aviv and not coming back until DOMA is repealed.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Find out more about the struggles faced by LGBT immigrants and their partners and spouses at Immigration Equality and Stop the Deportations.

Vdaydoma2

Comments

1. All these separations and hardships binational couples face do break my heart!

Posted by: George PR | Feb 14, 2012 11:02:16 AM

2. He's leaving to live in Tel Aviv?

Tel Aviv is AMAZING.

Why come back at all?

Posted by: Rick Gold | Feb 14, 2012 11:05:26 AM

3. I wish my partner came from a country where we'd be recognized...my own country tells me I am a second class citizen.

Posted by: Todd | Feb 14, 2012 11:16:10 AM

4. I hope they have lots of happiness.

Posted by: Matt26 | Feb 14, 2012 11:18:29 AM

5. There's no same-sex marriage in Israel either, but at least he gets to be with his husband.

Posted by: NY2.0 | Feb 14, 2012 11:31:59 AM

6. How is he able to stay in Tel Aviv ? Gay marriage isnt legal there either.....

Posted by: paul | Feb 14, 2012 12:14:41 PM

7. To pamper to the orthodox Jews there are no same-sex marriages performed in Israel. However, the state does recognize same-sex marriages performed elsewhere.

Posted by: FMB | Feb 14, 2012 12:15:13 PM

8. I don't wanna move back to Russia, but US won't let me stay here with my naturalized husband (( It is also much harder when you have a child involved who goes to a public school here and even at her age she is already having hard times reading texts in Russian. I wish there was someone who could answer how much longer we need to wait, it would make our life much easier...

Posted by: RESOFFLA | Feb 14, 2012 12:26:16 PM

9. @Resoffla, if somehow the DOMA cases win in the Supreme Court, then it would be when they hit the Supreme Court which would be in about 3 years. If they don't win, you're probably looking at about 15 years.

Posted by: me | Feb 14, 2012 1:37:45 PM

10. Good riddance I say. Give me a break. Talk about being melodramatic. In what reality is moving to ISRAEL a better option to living in America?? A little perspective would be nice.

Posted by: Lisa G | Feb 14, 2012 1:38:45 PM

11. Wow. This hits close to home. My partner and I have been completely playing by all the rules and still are hassled at the border each time he tries to accompany me back into the US from Canada. He does not work in the US, does not use our "wonderful" healthcare system, nor does he stay here longer than 6 mos. But we live at the whim of immigration officials who say they owe him no explanation. So he is in Toronto today and I am in the US. I have no idea what underlying anger and resentment would make anyone say "Good riddance" to anyone who was trying to make a life in their native country with someone they love. Melodramatic? Before you judge so harshly, try to walk in their shoes and show a little compassion. How sad to hear fellow Americans say such things, but especially someone from my own tribe. Want persepective? You got it--how much time ya got?

Posted by: Guy | Feb 14, 2012 1:53:38 PM

12. LISA G: Clearly the issue is that they can't stay in America. Bitchy much?

I am currently living in Canada with my husband who is Chinese. There was no way he could immigrate to the States, so I immigrated to Canada and sponsored him to Canada as my spouse. It was our only choice for being together, unless I moved to China. We would love to return to California, but currently there is no way.

Posted by: MICHAEL108 | Feb 14, 2012 1:56:50 PM

13. Paul, same sex marriage is legal in Israel. It can't be performed there, but all foreign marriages (including same-sex marriages) are recognized.

Posted by: Sol Muser | Feb 14, 2012 2:34:51 PM

14. My heart goes out to all the couples torn apart by our country's backwards ways.

My heart goes out to Lisa G, who obviously needs some love.

My kudos go out to Matthew for leaving the U.S. to be with Yoav. Pfft, I've often thought of leaving this wayward country of my birth for less lofty, but still principled reasons. So huzzah for love, and doing whatever it takes to live love!

Posted by: Zlick | Feb 14, 2012 2:35:14 PM

15. Tel Aviv is an amazing city, and while Israel doesn't have gay marriage, it is recognized as legal and binding if the couple was married in a jurisdiction where it is Legal, so good luck, enjoy the weather, the culture, the beaches, and being recognized by the state as married!

Posted by: Danny | Feb 14, 2012 2:39:58 PM

16. It's a bad situation and I wish them luck. Hopefully soon thing s will change in the U.S. But the video just looks like they miss dancing in clubs and wearing cute sunglasses and hats together.

Posted by: Name: | Feb 14, 2012 3:27:40 PM

17. I am thrilled they will be together again. I am disgusted that our country will not recognize their marriage. Hopefully things will change. Each subsequent generation since Stonewall has raised awareness of gay issues & every year the rights of the gay population are recognized. It will take time, but full rights will be achieved.

Every gain in human rights has been hard won by those brave men & women at the forefront of the cause. Like all pioneers they must stuffer the hardships in order to pave the way. I am so sorry they have to go through it. But it is people like the gentlemen in the above video that make the world a better place. I wish they were able to stay here with us. We need strong and good people in our country. But where ever they are I wish them happiness.

Posted by: Micheline Hilpert | Feb 14, 2012 6:34:53 PM

18. As soon as I can afford it, I will be moving to Australia to be with my partner.

Posted by: McKenna | Feb 15, 2012 9:37:14 PM

19. He is moving to Tel Aviv! Why would he ever want to come back to the backward USA.

Posted by: Rob | Oct 15, 2012 9:31:15 PM