BigGayDeal.com

Washington State Senate Passes Marriage Equality Bill in 28-21 Vote

Washington

The Washington State senate has voted 28-21 in favor of the marriage equality bill.

The bill is expected to pass in the House and Governor Chris Gregoire, who introduced it, is expected to sign it. Voting in the House could come as soon as February 8.

Slog has a liveblog of the proceedings if you want to read about how it all went down. I'll have clips and relevant updates posted as they come in tomorrow morning.

Comments

1. Seattle was the firewall against Anita Bryant's anti-gay campaign in 1976. Washington was the first state to uphold same-sex domestic partnerships in a voter referendum in 2010. I'm going to bet that it's the first state to uphold our right to marry in a statewide vote this November.

Very proud of my home state.

Posted by: Smartypants | Feb 2, 2012 1:45:32 AM

2. @smartypants, do you sing in the SMC and specifically, a member of Capt. SmartyPants ensemble? If so, you guys are fantastic.

Anyways, I feel very good about our chances. We have amazing folks at ERW and Washington United for Marriage. They've put in long hours and worked tirelessly to help us achieve marriage equality. And if any group can win a statewide referendum on marriage equality, they can and will.

Posted by: searunner | Feb 2, 2012 2:08:45 AM

3. Ummm...let's not celebrate quite yet guys! The hetero bigots will be out in force at the mal-wart schleppin' for signatures THAT you can believe!! Nice move by the dumbsh*t politicos in Washington State though. They pass Marriage Equality because they KNOW that more than likely this WILL go before voters!! Gets their lazy, brain dead ass*s off the hook, right? How about the cash cow milkers in Government all get together to pass a referendum reform bill or, better yet, how about ABOLISHING the referendum system altogether and start assuming some RESPONSIBILITY for their elected positions!!!

Posted by: evolutionisfact | Feb 2, 2012 6:10:49 AM

4. Well done, Washington State. Just be aware, having 55% of the state supporting it doesn't mean that 100% of that 55% will vote to support it in a referendum. There needs to be a far higher number currently supporting it to guarantee a resounding defeat for an eventual referendum. I'd like to see 60% or higher.

Posted by: Robert in NYC | Feb 2, 2012 7:55:13 AM

5. I truly hope that everyone who gets married will share our happiness: My partner and I got married two years ago in Iowa. We've been on a cloud ever since!

Posted by: TomR | Feb 2, 2012 9:28:50 AM

6. Very good written article. It will be helpful to anyone who uses it, including yours truly. Keep up the good work – for sure i will check out more posts. http://www.louboutinshoes2u.com

Posted by: Christian Louboutin Sale | May 4, 2012 9:42:47 PM

7. I absolutely love this site.. shoes came right on time nd they areee generous got 2 pairs and the stitching A quality love them, The design and the look of your site are really nice! It makes my reading even more interesting and pleasant! - http://www.kisslouboutin.com/

Posted by: Discount Christian Louboutin Shoes | May 4, 2012 9:42:58 PM

8. This is the best blog I’ve ever seen in my life! I really appreciate you taking the time out of your day to share this with everyone. http://www.christianlouboutinshoesexy.com

Posted by: Christian Louboutin | May 4, 2012 9:43:11 PM