Football | Madonna | Sports | Super Bowl

WATCH: Madonna's 'Super Bowl' Halftime Performance

Picture 3
If you missed Madonna's Halftime show at the Super Bowl (as you may well have, because as it turns out NBC's livestream of the event skipped it completely), you can watch it,
AFTER THE JUMP ...

Comments

1. But what does Rick think? He'll let us know if she is in any way newly worthy of our adoration. All I know is that I totally had myself as she stomped her boots among all those soldiers in their awesome uniforms.

Posted by: uffda | Feb 5, 2012 11:18:50 PM

2. @ Adam:
    Seriously???
    You don't remember '98 Ray of Light?, 2000 Music or 2005 Hung Up???
    Where were you living man? Under a stone?

Posted by: ElCid | Feb 5, 2012 11:20:25 PM

3. Lol@Jason, once again. He clearly feels that all artists must have "something for the gays", like they all owe us something. Pretty sad. For me, there was great music, theatrics, seeing my girl put on a half time show like no other, dancing, great new takes on old songs, and an army of hot gladiator dancers. Guess that's not enough for Jason. Boo hoo. Haters gonna hate and no one can say she didn't live up to the hype. It was a great show.

Posted by: Graphicjack | Feb 5, 2012 11:20:27 PM

4. And by the way, I think parts of Vogue, and all of Like A Prayer, were live vocals. Music I dunno, but definitely Gimme All You Luvin' was synced for sure.

Posted by: Graphicjack | Feb 5, 2012 11:24:35 PM

5. I didn't expect to see two men making out but a little bit of male-male sensuality would have been nice. There's lots of ways you can do it without it being rude.

Madonna's failure to put even a little bit of male-male sensuality in her show proves how much of a fraud she is. She's like a politician - says something gay-friendly when it's going to produce a dividend, avoids showing male-male sensuality when it collides with her greater goal.

How anyone can still admire her fakeness is beyond me.

Posted by: jason | Feb 5, 2012 11:25:29 PM

6. Since when are gladiators "gay"? They're just gladiators. The mere fact that some gay guys think Madonna catered to us by showing gladiators simply proves how idiotic and servile you've become. You're like the blacks who accepted sitting at the back of the bus during the pre-Civil Rights area because, hey, I still got a seat.

Face it - Madonna is a fake. She fake sings. She fake supports us. Fake, fake, fake.

Posted by: jason | Feb 5, 2012 11:30:12 PM

7. Um, my understanding is that they all lip-synch because of all of the echoing in the stadiums. But whatever. I watched, out of curiosity. I was entertained. That's the most I hoped for. I didn't go in with the magnifying glass, seeking flaws or perfection.

Posted by: TJ | Feb 5, 2012 11:32:04 PM

8. She used to be the worlds greatest aerobics instructor. Now she's just an embarrassingly narcissistic diva.

Posted by: frank | Feb 5, 2012 11:33:19 PM

9. @ Jason,
    I see what you mean. I do not agree though.
    I happen to think that her entire body of work holds as expressions of "gay" art (sort of). Her music, her esthetics, even her lifestyle.
    I have witnessed her evolution as an entertainer since 1984, and I don't think she's fake just because there is no male-male sensuality in a given show. By the way, you should have noticed that there were no male-female sensuality neither (prime time tv?)

Posted by: ElCid | Feb 5, 2012 11:34:50 PM

10. The hole performance outshines her, the worst part was her new single when she was dancing like a cheerleader at age 50something, was a little pathetic. Lip syncing was just horrible, why didn't she sing it all live? I really liked Like a Prayer part.

Posted by: Jake | Feb 5, 2012 11:37:33 PM

11. Best halftime show for a Super Bowl EVER!!!

Posted by: Dr. Christopher Blackwell | Feb 5, 2012 11:38:26 PM

12. AWESOME SHOW!!!!!
    She has brought me back as a fan.

Posted by: Marc | Feb 5, 2012 11:39:57 PM

13. @ELCID

She didn't perform anything from those CD's you mention though... she stuck with the same music she's been known for performing over and over again for the last two decades. Don't get me wrong... in her heyday she was a pioneering icon. I just feel that she got stuck in the mid-90's and has been treading water ever since.

Posted by: Adam | Feb 5, 2012 11:40:16 PM

14. a great performance from a great artist

Posted by: Jack | Feb 5, 2012 11:40:24 PM

15. ELOD,

You are easily fooled.

When I see a MALE singer having the same success as Madonna, and being allowed to use MALE bisexuality in his marketing, I might be a little more charitable to Madonna. The way it stands right now, Madonna is symptomatic of the fact that only women are allowed to be ultra-successful while claiming to be bisexual and using it in their marketing.

Please don't insult us by claiming that Madonna expressed gay art. She expressed the sleazy straight guy fantasy, that's all.

Posted by: jason | Feb 5, 2012 11:41:43 PM

16. JAson is probably Elton John! hahahah...
    Madge did a great job IMO!

Posted by: Jake | Feb 5, 2012 11:45:34 PM

17. Too bad M.I.A. gave the finger during her performance (at 8:11 in the clip above) Even sadder that even with tape delay the people at NBC still couldn't bleep kit in time!

Posted by: dctopman | Feb 5, 2012 11:45:36 PM

18. Seriously, the last song (I'll take you there?) was great, with its warm revival air, and all the nightime lights and flashes of 60-thousand fans swaying in the background, the whole roaring glamor of it, the giant undertaking itself, all so electically American, joyful and rolicking. What a hoot.

Posted by: uffda | Feb 5, 2012 11:46:25 PM

19. @ Adam,
    I think the reason why she didn't do Ray of Light is because that album is not well remembered in the US (even though it was huge in the rest of the world). Same goes to Hung Up. She sang "Music" though...

Posted by: ElCid | Feb 5, 2012 11:47:17 PM

20. @ Jason,
    Sorry if you felt insulted Jason.
    I still think you are plain wrong though

Posted by: ElCid | Feb 5, 2012 11:51:19 PM

21. Madonna is symptomatic of the bisexual double standard in American society. If you're a woman, it's fine. You'll be supported, you'll be glamorized, you'll have number 1 hits.

If you're a man, ewwww and double ewwwww. You won't get support, you won't be glamorized, and you certainly won't get a recording contract if you go there.

Posted by: jason | Feb 5, 2012 11:51:32 PM

22. @ Jason,
    I am 100% with you on the last comment Jason.
    Is she to be blamed for that though?
    I understand now that maybe you expected her (as gay Icon that she is for some) would restore the dignity of gay men.
    Probably Kylie and Gaga are the only female divas who have done that in the past.
    Madonna has always chosen the path to vindicate herself as diva above anything else. And gays have condoned that in the past not only coming from her but also from old days divas like Cher, Diana Ross, Barbra Streisand, and the like. Even Britney is going that path too...
    But, you are right in what you expect. Here's a rabid KYLIE fan by the way...

Posted by: ElCid | Feb 6, 2012 12:04:21 AM

23. I'm not going to read all the comments from the bitter queens. Mike128 summed it up best,"Those who can, do. Those who can't, critique."

Posted by: Markus | Feb 6, 2012 12:06:18 AM

24. I think Madge has JTS (jumped the shark)

Posted by: Joseph Singer | Feb 6, 2012 12:11:20 AM

25. She disappeared like the evil witch in the wizard of oz.

Posted by: kodiak | Feb 6, 2012 12:23:35 AM