Brad Pitt | Dustin Lance Black | Gay Marriage | George Clooney | Jane Lynch | News | Proposition 8 | Theatre

Watch the L.A. Premiere of '8' with Brad Pitt, George Clooney: VIDEO

Did you miss the livestream of last night's staged reading production of '8', Dustin Lance Black's play based on the closing remarks of the trial challenging Proposition 8?

8Have no fear. You can watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

George Clooney and Martin Sheen play plaintiffs’ lead co-counsel David Boies and Theodore B. Olson, the all-star attorneys who notably faced-off in Bush v. Gore. Christine Lahti and Jamie Lee Curtis play plaintiffs Kris Perry and Sandy Stier, a lesbian couple together for eleven years and the parents of four boys.  Matthew Morrison and Matt Bomer  play plaintiffs Paul Katami and Jeff Zarrillo, a gay couple together over ten years.

Jane Lynch plays despicable opponent of same-sex marriage Maggie Gallagher, co-founder and former chairman of the National Organization for Marriage. Rob Reiner directs and plays David Blankenhorn, founder and president of the Institute for American Values. Additional cast includes Emmy Award-winning journalist Campbell Brown, Kevin Bacon, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, prominent gay rights activist Cleve Jones, Rory O’Malley, Chris Colfer, Emmy Award-winner Yeardley Smith, and acclaimed Star Trek television and film star George Takei.

Brad Pitt plays Judge Vaughn Walker. Enjoy, AFTER THE JUMP....

Comments

1. rob reiner (forever meathead)directed, john c riley was hilarious as blankenhorn.

Posted by: bandanajack | Mar 4, 2012 12:58:05 PM

2. "The day after we legalize same-sex marriage, we will all be more American than the day before". This is arguably the single most important idea to come out of the trial, & it was made by John C. Reilly playing Blankenhorn (for the Prop 8 proponents).

The play is probably too long to go viral, but it deserves to be seen by everyone in the LGBT community. Many thanks to everyone who participated, but especially Dustin Lance Black.

Posted by: Jerry | Mar 4, 2012 1:45:29 PM

3. This show was amazing and brilliant. I watched it with my daughter and her best friend. They loved it!

Posted by: Stephen Pickard | Mar 4, 2012 1:54:28 PM

4. It was great, and thrilling to see all of these actors supporting it. Nice to see so many out actors in it it too.

My only beef with the play is that I feel it doesn't give much time to the male couple. I guess it's an easier sell to focus on women and children, but I think it undercuts some of the power of the piece.

Posted by: Clem | Mar 4, 2012 1:59:46 PM

5. Interesting that you don't mention Kevin Bacon's name once anywhere in the headline, text or meta tags. Freudian slip?

Posted by: Oliver | Mar 4, 2012 2:16:53 PM

6. Rob Reiner gave up his role in the LA production when Brad Pitt came on board. John C. Reilly was moved from the Judge Walker role into Reiner's role and Reiner stayed on as director only. Reilly was so sublime and effective that I can't imagine Reiner (who had already played the part in NYC) thinks of it as anything but a VERY happy accident.

Posted by: BreckRoy | Mar 4, 2012 2:33:15 PM

7. Is there a captioned version available for deaf and hard-of-hearing viewers?

Posted by: MAC | Mar 4, 2012 2:50:14 PM

8. It's the first time I liked Chris Colfer , he needs to get the hell out of Glee

Posted by: aki | Mar 4, 2012 2:52:06 PM

9. What's wrong with Colfer? he's a hot twink and a good actor!

Posted by: Locutus of Board | Mar 4, 2012 3:30:25 PM

10. It was great to see the live stream, but on 8theplay.com you can find live readings across the country at professional theatres, community theatres and colleges. Go see it live, many of the performances are fundraisers for AFER.

Posted by: Rob | Mar 4, 2012 3:37:52 PM

11. I was put off by the fact that they are all reading their lines. These are professional actors reading lines from a script book. Really takes you out of the play and makes you feel like this was slapped together quickly.

Posted by: Jase | Mar 4, 2012 3:46:37 PM

12. Is there a way someone could put this up for download? I would love to be able to show my family this but we don't have the high speed internet necessary for streaming capabilities so either I load it all at college and bring it home or hopefully some other easy way. I would frankly love if production like this was professionally recorded and put on DVD with proceeds to support HRC or other groups friendly to our cause.

Posted by: Vince | Mar 4, 2012 3:51:41 PM

13. @Jase: It WAS put together quickly. While it is theater, the larger goal here was to expose what happened in the trial because broadcasting of it was opposed by the bigots who went to the SC court to block the public from having access. The "script book" was made up of actual transcripts from the trial and from interviews with the plaintiffs. Reading from the page seemed both appropriate and the best way to allow different productions to happen around the country at short notice. Personally, I'd rather have bigotry exposed than slick production values. The words here almost speak for themselves, though I think the participants did a fine job.

Posted by: Ernie | Mar 4, 2012 3:59:37 PM

14. I like how there is a Yes on 8 ad during the video.

/gag

Posted by: Sam | Mar 4, 2012 4:26:48 PM

15. The 'Yes on 8' ad is part of the production.

Posted by: Andy Towle | Mar 4, 2012 4:36:04 PM

16. These actors must have escaped the clutches of their homophobic studios for just one day. How tokenistic.

Posted by: jason | Mar 4, 2012 4:39:18 PM

17. it's called a "Staged Reading", folks.

they're industry standard. it's not a "play"

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 4, 2012 4:56:35 PM

18. Somebody just complained that it wasn't properly acted, that people were reading from scripts? Oh Christ. *Facepalms*

Posted by: Gregoire | Mar 4, 2012 5:00:57 PM

19. complaining about the use of scripts is like saying, of The Lion King, "i guess the puppets were ok, but i could see the sticks.."

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 4, 2012 5:03:46 PM

20. I missed this last night and am posting This comment on Sunday. I have friends coming over to watch it on my Smart TV tonight if I can figure out how to bring it up on the screen.
    All I get on YouTube is a title card saying to tune in for live streaming at 7:45 Pacific. Is that accurate? I mean, is it being done again tonight in another city and steamed live again?
    If not, can I watch the re-run from last night?

Posted by: Gregv | Mar 4, 2012 5:06:38 PM

21. Jase wrote:

"I was put off by the fact that they are all reading their lines. These are professional actors reading lines from a script book. Really takes you out of the play and makes you feel like this was slapped together quickly."

You evidently didn't notice George Takei's reading of his lines. He did not use any copy.

And yes, it probably was put together quickly. So what. It doesn't make it any less relevant.

Posted by: Joseph Singer | Mar 4, 2012 5:26:31 PM

22. @ Gregv - The title card is the video. If you have annotations turned on, there's a link that takes you to the start of the play.

If you don't have annotations turned on, the play doesn't start until 29 minutes 51 seconds, so just skip ahead.

I'm sure people will have opinions about the Real Player one way or another, but you can download the realplayer (real.com) for free. It has a plugin for your browser that will allow you to download youtube videos in real's format, and convert them to other formats if you feel so inclined. Keep in mind the higher the resolution of the video you're watching (plus the length of the video) the larger the download will be and the longer it will take.

Posted by: antisaint | Mar 4, 2012 5:38:50 PM

23. And as has been said, it's a staged reading, not a full-on production. I was surprised they had a set at all, that's not necessarily common for a reading.

And honestly, while some stumbled with their words, for Martin Sheen to TURN. IT. OUT. the way he did at the end, even with papers in his hand, how could you really care? He gave me chills.

Posted by: antisaint | Mar 4, 2012 5:42:43 PM

24. Thanks. Downloaded and will be watching on a plane next week

Posted by: Craig | Mar 4, 2012 6:04:25 PM

25. Oliver, everyone knows Kevin Bacon is six degrees from anyone else, so by mentioning anyone, you're mentioning Kevin Bacon. ;)

Posted by: Randy | Mar 4, 2012 7:13:39 PM