Conservative Activist and Publisher Andrew Breitbart Dead at 43

BreitbartConservative blogger, publisher, and activist Andrew Breitbart has died, Big Government reports:

Andrew passed away unexpectedly from natural causes shortly after midnight this morning in Los Angeles. We have lost a husband, a father, a son, a brother, a dear friend, a patriot and a happy warrior. Andrew lived boldly, so that we more timid souls would dare to live freely and fully, and fight for the fragile liberty he showed us how to love.

ABC News' Jake Tapper tweets: "LA coroner’s office confirms to ABC News Radio that Breitbart died shortly after midnight at UCLA Medical Center."

Politico reports:

[Breitbart.com editor-in-chief Joel] Pollak said that Breitbart had been taken by ambulance to the UCLA medical center, where he was pronounced dead shortly after midnight. Pollak, who was present at the hospital, said that Breitbart had no known serious medical issues, but declined to say more on the matter out of respect to Breitbart family.

“He continues to inspire us, and we’ll be moving forward [on his projects]… as he would have wanted,” said Pollak. “We’re devastated by his loss.”

An autopsy is pending. Breitbart last tweeted at 11:25 pm Pacific Time, which is evidently shortly before he was taken to the hospital.

AP:

Breitbart was walking near his house in the Brentwood neighborhood shortly after midnight Thursday when he collapsed, his father-in-law, Orson Bean, said. Someone saw him fall and called paramedics, who tried to revive him. They rushed him to the emergency room at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center in Los Angeles, Bean said. Breitbart had suffered heart problems a year earlier, but Bean said he could not pinpoint what happened.

Developing…

Comments

1. TampaZeke says

Condolences to his family.

As a Buddhist I hope Andrew finds some insights (about his recently departed life) in the interlife that will serve him well in his next. Of course that’s my wish for myself and everyone else as well.

2. Chris says

As tempting as it may be…it would be best if we didn’t fill these comments with anything that could later be used by the right wing to prove how vicious and/or heartless we all are.

3. anon says

Drugs or alcohol makes some sense, but since he died in a hospital they won’t have to release any test results–unless the family wants it (and I doubt that very much). The other quick killer would be some sort of heart problem.

4. Dan Cobb says

Chris, your suggestion would require silence in response to Mr. Breitbart’s provocations or out-right lies. I’m not inclined to agree that such a tack is the best way to go.
    Mr. Breitbart was profoundly unAmerican. In the last video shot I saw of him he appeared as a fully deranged individual screaming repeatedly at OWS protesters “Behave Yourselves”. He considered the peaceful protest against the profound corruption of the financial crimes of Wall Street, and the GOP and DEM’s kowtowing to Wall Street lobbiests “Bad Behavior”. I think he was a man very much at odds with the freedoms guaranteed by the United States Constitution. Very troubled.

5. Mawm says

“Andrew passed away unexpectedly from natural causes”

This is very vague. “unexpectedly from natural causes” needs an explanation for someone as young as 43.

Somehow I expect him to pop-up and say “Tricked Ya!” with James O’Keefe by his side.

6. AllBeefPatty says

“His attempts at being the male Ann Coulter never quite worked and I’m sure he’ll quickly be forgotten.”

Greatest moment? In his last tweet, he was referring to someone as a Putz.

What’s that Radiohead song? Karma Police

7. SFSCOTTIE says

Sad for his family. Like (m)Ann Coulter, I never really listened to what he said. He seemed only to ever want to get reactions by saying shocking things. I turned the TV off everytime he, or (m)Ann, would could on. All I could really think was that, for age 43, he looked old. I’m 42 and look 10 years younger.

8. Reverse Polarity says

My mother used to tell say to me: “If you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all.”

I will therefore say nothing at all about Andrew Breitbart.

9. Dback says

And cue the right-wing bloggers claiming that his death was actually a secret assassination plot by Obama and the evil liberals in 5…4…3…2…

10. David says

It’s always tempting to use our version of a person’s life to explain their death and by doing so, bolster our philosophy as life-giving and theirs as deathly. I’m sure when a gay person dies for any reason people on the religious right make very similar arguments about the cause of death.

I know for certain that far angrier, rageful and more deeply deranged people than Andrew B. live to ripe old ages. As much as one could argue the corrosive nature of anger, you could just as easily argue that anger is a great fuel for survival and may indeed preserve people’s energy. It’s certainly kept Larry Kramer running full steam for a long time.

11. DRG says

ding dong the witch is…wait…

that was seriously my first thought, but i respect life and sympathize with his family. I may not mourn Breitbart, but i offer my sincere condolences to his family. I did not respect him, his rhetoric or his tactics…but i will not stoop to the right wing level. hate only begets more hate.

12. Sarina says

Andrew Breitbart had a more enlightening view of gay rights. He was for the repeal of DADT and he stood by GOPROUD when CPAC banned them. It’s sort of scary that someone could die from natural causes at 43. This said, may he rest in peace.

13. Dannyeastvillage says

He found so much to hate in our rapidly changing world. And the more it changed in terms of social issues the more he found to hate. I reckon he finally blew a gasket.

14. Chris says

@dancobb. I understand it would require silence in response. But we must be politically savvy sometimes, as well. We know that some of the comments above will be featured in fundraising emails for hate groups, as proof of our depravity. The man is dead, he can do no more harm…unless we give the opposition the ammunition.

15. turkey says

Wonder what all those right-wingers who were hating on Whitney Houston for being a drug addict have to say now? At least Whitney Houston had some talent.

16. Jonathan says

I don’t understand why we should be supportive of his family. They benefited financially from his gross lack of ethics. They stood by silently while he made a mockery of journalism and American political discourse. They chose to not only associate with him, but his father-in-law Orson Bean wrote for his website articles with headlines like “The World Has a Muslim Problem”. I can’t summon sympathy for the four young children he chose to bring into this world and indoctrinate in his particular brand of venomous lies and distortions. The most I can do is hope that without his influence for the rest of their lives, they will have a better chance of growing into adults with a sense of responsibility instead of entitlement, people who will have a positive impact on our world instead of the toxic impact of their father.

17. say what says

43 year olds do not normally die of natural causes

either his liver went through alcoholism, was a drug overdose, or even a bush family hit on him since he was an embarrassment to repubs and no longer useful

18. AggieCowboy says

I feel for his family and give them my deepest condolences. As for Andrew…may the blindness with which he lived life be lifted from his eyes so that he may know enlightenment and truth.

19. echovic says

Don’t know if it’s true, but I just saw this on twitter –

@RobTornoe: “Remember on the day Ted Kennedy died, Breitbart called him a ‘villain,’ ‘a big ass motherf@#$er,’ a ‘duplicitous bastard’ and a ‘prick.’”

If so, please cut the sanctimonious (and scared) position that we need to give bigots fodder, and rejoice in one less of them spreading misinformation and hate towards us. Bigots don’t need ammunition, by definition.

20. stevenelliot says

Better dead quickly at 43, rich, semi-famous, with a life insurance policy.

Than to linger in poverty until 83 with no social security, medi-care or any other safety net as breitbart would have wanted….

This is the moral here for me.

21. Apparatus says

“In the hours immediately following Senator Ted Kennedy’s death, Breitbart called Kennedy a “villain”, a “duplicitous bastard”, a “prick” and “a special pile of human excrement.”

Funny, I feel the same way now.

22. Dastius Krazitauc says

“it would be best if we didn’t fill these comments with anything that could later be used by the right wing to prove how vicious and/or heartless we all are.”

But Breitbart proved it doesn’t really matter anyway. His stock-in-trade was constructing lies by editing, cut-and-pasting the truth, until he got the narrative he wanted. They’ll say what they want to say.

23. NY2.0 says

There is nothing good I can find to say about him. It’s one thing to disagree with someone’s beliefs but Breitbart took it to extremes by purposefully lying and being deceitful to ruin lives, all in the name of advancing his ideological beliefs.

24. Vern Dufford says

Now that his ideology has consumed him. Its maybe a lesson to us all is all is ones rabid ideology is not worth your health or life. Folks like Glen beck or Ann Coulter seem like they should take note that the rage will only consume… you!

25. Bob R says

Really, I don’t care what the cause of death was, to me it just doesn’t matter. The fact that he’s dead is all that matters. The world will be a better place without him.

26. David says

“Andrew Breibart disagreed with me and that’s why he’s DEAD!”

Wow, that’s definitely taking the reasonable, logical approach. Don’t agree with my position because I’ve got facts on my side, agree with me because I’m right and if you don’t you’ll die. That’s basically a liberal redux of “the wages of sin is death” which the Fundies use on the gays all the time…

27. Tagg says

Who cares really, except his family? The man was hate filled and I personally am glad he wont be popping up anymore on “opnion shows” giving us his biggoted opinions. We all eventually die…he doesn’t deserve extra sympathy than anyone else.

28. Rob says

Kind of funny, if this had been the death of a liberal activist and publisher, the Christianists would have been claiming Divine Retribution/God’s Punishment. So what happened here? He died youngish and suddenly – and sadly as the sudden unanticipated death of anyone would be. Yet, is there no Divine Retribution – no God’s Punishment? Oh it comes down to who you agree and disagree with. Hypocracy much?

29. CJS says

Yeah, he wasn’t the best human on the planet by any means. But during all the celebrations of the man’s death, remember, there are bright spots in everyone. One of his was that he actively supported marriage equality.

30. Jexer says

I can’t even find it in me to feel sympathy towards his family – they’re (perhaps unwilling) accomplices and benefactors to his lies, smears and sociopathic behavior.

Sadly, like a hydra, several talking-heads will spring up where this one fell.

31. Janet Vandenabeele says

I can’t say anything nice. I would have offered condolences to his family while he was alive, too.

I am gobsmacked, though, how Rush Limbaugh lives on. I guess you need Oxy and hookers to combat all that hate and survive.

32. Matt says

A few people say let’s not give the right-wing ammunition against us by being hateful. Oh? How come they get a free pass on hatred against us, even when someone dies, but if we show that we hate them just as much as they hate us, we’re the bad guys? No no no, enough. Conservatives would rejoice in the death of a liberal, and very hatefully so, so no.

Now, I never wished him dead, I have better things to do with my time like focus on the health and safety of myself and my family, so his death will certainly not warrant any grief or mourning or any lost time from me. He’s dead. He should have taken better care of himself, but unlike him, I’m a social liberal, meaning I’m not going to tell you what to do with your life, and I won’t let you tell me what to do with my life. So oh well.

33. says

He will be missed in the exact same way that Jesse Helms is missed – by the remaining True American Racists, and nobody else.

This is not to say i’m *happy* he’s dead, i’m merely relieved that there’s one less hypocritical lyring racist mucking things up for America.

It’s not insulting to say such a thing, either. The insult was this man’s life and legacy.

Rest in Peace, Breitbart. Peace. That thing you worked so hard to deny to others in life.

And no, you won’t be missed by anyone with a heart or conscience.

34. anon says

For all those saying this is karma, I’d say that the problem is that in our system, pundits and political operatives are very often rewarded for behaving badly. This is an anomaly.

35. says

David, there’s a difference between the fire and anger of Larry Kramer and this racist right-wing piece of shite who will only be missed by the kind of folks who are still bitter about being forced to Integrate.

And Breitbart was no “gay rights hero” – and the only gay men who’d think that are those sad white homosexuals from GOProud who still think that their families love and accept them. They think Breitbart was a hero because he was a racist, and GOProud-style gay republicans “hate blacks” in an attempt to win back their father’s love, because the only thing their fathers’ hate more than having gay sons is black people in their White Country.

but now, to be very clear – i’m not “rejoicing in the death of a conservative” – i’m expressing MUCH relief that a Good Old-Fashioned Racist Bigot is no longer around to sully America’s reputation.
    a pious windbag who opposed unions, TRUE lgbt equality, and human decency.

i’d rather he have redeemed himself in life. he chose not to. next best thing? drop freakin’ dead and take your bigotry with you.

36. Arturo Beeche says

Any loss of life is a tragedy of course and one wishes condolences to his survivors.

Yet, death, whether untimely or expected, ought to to serve as a free pass from a dreadful legacy based on fear, ignorance and racism. Sadly, that is Mr Breitbart’s legacy to our democracy!

37. says

i’m always stunned when someone cites anything involved GOProud as being “pro-LGBT”…..

wrong. GOProud does one thing and one thing ONLY – they exist to cover the asses of insecure, selfhating white moneyed homosexual males who do more to talk crap about Liberals, Leftists and Non-Whites than they do to promote LGBT Equality. They don’t care about lesbians, bisexuals, or transpeopel. Just Gay White Men with Money Who Suck Up To Their Bigoted Families.

important distinction.

38. TJ says

God smote him.

Just like He smites evil gay people with AIDS. If you believe in a Just World, and feel that people get what they deserve, like disease and poverty (very simplistic, right-wing thinking), then there can be no other position on this from the right. It’s not a tragedy. It’s justice.

SQUID may just have a point…

39. LaShawn says

I know this is wrong to do this but I don’t care, he was a despicable excuse for a human being:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

40. Wolf Sawyer says

Weirdly enough, I wanna be happy that there’s one less hater with a voice in broadcast in the world, but its honestly not very pleasing. Just wish things could’ve turned out better I suppose.

41. Bob says

He was always way too hyped up in every interview I’ve seen with him. I wouldn’t be surprised if he was a coke-head or used some other substance like meth.

42. DM says

A man has died. His kids will now have to live without a father. How can you celebrate that? How would you feel if someone you know died and people celebrated their death. Your comments are disgusting. You may not have agreed with his political positions but you don’t celebrate his family’s pain.

43. seattle mike says

When Joan Crawford died in 1977, Bette Davis had the last word – “You should never say bad things about the dead, you should only say good. Joan Crawford is dead. Good.”

I wonder what made me think of that?

44. Really? says

DM,

It’s one thing to have different political positions and be respectful that someone else has a different view than yours, but you have got to be kidding me!

This guy was so filled with hate towards ANYONE who didn’t agree with his highly extreme views. Will you be dusting off your violin when Pat Roberson dies too?

45. Sofonda Cox says

@Dm
    “How can you celebrate that?”

With a bigass party, tonight!
    P.S. Look bleeding heart, no one is celebrating that there are now children without their father. They are celebrating that this hateful blowhard is dead!

46. says

his kids are frankly better off without him. perhaps now theyll have a chance to learn about truth, justice, liberty and progressivism instead of the backwoods red-neck appealing ignorance and bigotry that their father stood for.

there’s no “respecting a different political opinion” that is inherently steeped in disrespecting others.

he could have redeemed himself and done Good. he choose not to. and thus, his ignorance, lies and decidedly ugly and UN-American prejudices will die with him.

i’m not mourning the death of a vessel of prejudice. he could have changed his legacy. he chose to die with.

his choice.

47. Bryan B. says

Look, death is always sad especially for those that cared for the one that died, BUT I’m not going to jump on the bandwagon and pretend to be in severe grief or that this guy was a saint.

He ruined so many peoples’ lives, preached hate, and spread lies. He was a mouthpiece for the far right in this country. Any objective person, looking at what he did could agree that his actions were far from helpful.

As for being a homophobe, maybe he was maybe he wasn’t, but he sure helped those that were. Let’s just call a spade a spade. He wasn’t a very good guy and I’m not just saying that because I disagreed with him politically. At the same time, condolences to his family.

48. DrJWL says

Well I STILL recall when Breitbart called Kennedy a “pile of excrement” on the day Kennedy died. Thats about as much respect as I have for Breitbart as well.

49. Bob says

@CHRIS— OH, EFFING PLEASE!

LET’S FOLD OUR HANDS AND LET THE BAD GUYS STEP ON US NICE LITTLE QUEERS (or maybe they won’t, because we are so nice)

PUKE, PUKE, PUKE, PUKE!

And Breitbart was scum for what he did to Shirley Sherrod

50. ratbastard says

For once I agree with David Ehrenstein; Brietbart was vicious and truly mean spirited in the real sense of that phrase, not the hackneyed P.C. And his site has some of the nastiest comments, right up there with some of the worse shills and true believers on here. But, all the same, R.I.P.

I spoke with someone who saw him not that long ago at the Old South Meeting House in Boston, and they said he looked like death warmed over. This person actually speculated he had a serious heart condition.

51. MateoM says

I grew up in Brentwood. It’s an extremely liberal neighborhood, sometimes militantly liberal. I can guarantee you that his neighbors absolutely DESPISED him. We don’t take kindly to republican scumbags like him.

52. Ctrl-Opt-Del says

Pity he didn’t “repent” before his death… Still, as bigoted as he may’ve been – making it hard to see his death as a bad thing for the world (not that I’m calling a man’s death a good thing either) – my sympathies are with his family.

53. leprechaunvict says

Booze & cocaine written all over his puffy face. That’s not speaking ill of the dead, it’s just a pertinent observation. I do feel bad for his kids though, having your Dad die that young has to be crappy to say the least.

54. Coco VonLoco says

Aww, that’s so sad…
    I always thought Andrew Breitbart would go out in a blaze of glory, something like while simultaneously scapegoating a minority group and screaming at a group of Occupy protesters that he’d get struck by a bolt of lightning just as he is hit by a cross town bus.
    So so sad… Andrew, you deserved a better exit from this cruel cruel world!

55. Mike says

I would like to send Breitbart on his way with the same sentiment he screamed at Wisconsin workers a year ago when he was here with Sara Palin and his teabag friends:

Go to Hell!

56. Rob says

When a prominent liberal dies, we really lose something- like MLK or any of the Kennedys. It takes a long time for the culture to produce a similar figure. (I don’t see many great Obamas in the wings if, god forbid, an assassin got him.)

When a prominent conservative dies, there’s usually another one just like him waiting in the wings to pop right up and take his place. These ditto-heads are all the same. Breitbart was an exception to the rule. Very few are as unhinged as he was and their numbers are dwindling. May we not see this venom again anytime soon.

57. Craig says

I won’t dance on the man’s grave…. NOR, in his life, would I have pissed on him if his guts were on fire and he was burning up in the middle of the road.

THAT said, I wish his friends and family a speedy healing for their loss.

58. Roy says

Have a extra time and internet connection, You are skilled in online research?
    Earn up to 40$/hour on online easy work, read more here…. LazyCash10.com