American Family Association | Comic Books | Kevin Keller | News

'Archie' Issue Featuring Gay Marriage Sells Out After Boycott Threat

Marriage_keller

Life with Archie #16, with featured the marriage of gay character Kevin Keller, has sold out, the company announced yesterday.

Marriage2_kellerThe issue was the target of a boycott threat aimed at Toys R Us by the American Family Association's One Million Moms project, which threatened that its members would stop shopping there unless the store removed the issue from its shelves. Unfortunately for AFA, it looks as though customers did the store's work for them.

Archie Comics, the home to some of the world’s most recognizable characters --  including Archie, Jughead, Betty and Veronica, Josie and the Pussycats and Sabrina, the Teenage Witch -- is proud to announce that the company has sold out of LIFE WITH ARCHIE #16.

“Kevin will always be a major part of Riverdale, and we’re overjoyed, honored and humbled by the response to this issue,” said Jon Goldwater, Co-CEO of Archie Comics. “Our fans have come out full force to support Kevin. He is, without a doubt, the most important new character in Archie history. He’s here to stay.”

Earlier this week, Goldwater released a statement about the boycott threat:

“We stand by Life with Archie #16. As I’ve said before, Riverdale is a safe, welcoming place that does not judge anyone. It’s an idealized version of America that will hopefully become reality someday. We’re sorry the American Family Association/OneMillionMoms.com feels so negatively about our product, but they have every right to their opinion, just like we have the right to stand by ours. Kevin Keller will forever be a part of Riverdale, and he will live a happy, long life free of prejudice, hate and narrow-minded people.“

Comments

1. Wait, it's an interracial gay marriage, with one of them in the military?! hehe talk about pushing all the right buttons for the wingnuts. You go Archie Comics

Posted by: Glenn | Mar 2, 2012 10:42:13 AM

2. I like the deliberate swapping of the hand skin colors. Suck it million moms.

Posted by: Yeek | Mar 2, 2012 10:53:30 AM

3. and remember the "Milion Moms" is actually only about 41,000.

Posted by: Mike | Mar 2, 2012 10:57:06 AM

4. Wow, good eye, Yeek, I didn't even catch that

Posted by: Glenn | Mar 2, 2012 10:57:42 AM

5. I love it that every time the Million Moms threaten to boycott someone, it ends up having the opposite effect and lines the pockets of the people they are dead set against. Sweet!

Posted by: Jack M | Mar 2, 2012 11:03:24 AM

6. Has Toys 'R' Us made any statements about this? I'd love to hear what they have to say, though they'll probably play diplomat and stay out of it, especially "because there are kids involved..." Ugh.

But if anyone knows of anything, could you provide a link? I'd love to see what they think about all this.

Posted by: L'Herbs | Mar 2, 2012 11:13:09 AM

7. This is cheering news indeed. I have a hunch that One Million Moms is not even the 40,000 suggested above. As Little Kiwi suggested, they're just a few thousand folks who can't count.

I'm sorry I didn't get a copy, but maybe I'll take out a subscription.

Posted by: Abel | Mar 2, 2012 11:18:24 AM

8. Not to steal anyone's thunder, but check out Archie's own pending interracial marriage:

"http://www.pinkisthenewblog.com/2012/02/archie-comics-features-the-interracial-marriage-of-archie-valerie/"

The way Archie Comics does it is this: all the characters are in High School, but every so often they have a 'flash forward' to a potential outcome. They've had these for Archie marrying Veronica and also Betty, and Valerie. Kevin Keller's marriage is the latest.

So they wind up the fan base with a happy ending, but it's only one possible happy ending. Then they bring everyone back to High School where anything can happen.

Brilliant. A combination of anticipation and closure, with neither ever really ending.

Posted by: Yeek | Mar 2, 2012 11:18:47 AM

9. @ L'HERBS:
    I don't think that Toys R Us made an official statement, but don't you think that ignoring AFA and continuing to sell the comic in their stores is a statement in itself? There are children in their stores who might have seen the cover of that comic and they sold it anyway. Good for Archie Comics and also Toys R Us for standing up to the bullies.

Posted by: Chadd | Mar 2, 2012 11:29:05 AM

10. My bad: Archie is GOING to marry Valerie, but Kevin and Clay came first. He's already hooked up with her though:

By the way, this quote was great: "Kevin Keller will forever be a part of Riverdale, and he will live a happy, long life free of prejudice, hate and narrow-minded people.“

Posted by: Yeek | Mar 2, 2012 11:31:27 AM

11. Wow! When I heard of AFA's call for a boycott, I went to my local Toys-R-Us here in Chicago & bought Archie #16 as well as gifts for my niece's birthday coming in April... I'm so pleased AFA's boycott-call has been turned on its head... in fact, an AFA boycott-call seems like a good marketing tool... more importantly, this illustrates once again how impotent the haters are...

Posted by: pgbach | Mar 2, 2012 11:44:10 AM

12. Too bad Archie Comics generally suck. Why can't Aquaman be gay?

Posted by: Gregoire | Mar 2, 2012 11:55:46 AM

13. You CAN still get the electronic copy of Archie #16 online and read it on your iPad. We are one of the many hard copy and electronic subscribers. We get the hard copy as a collector's item and our son reads the online verson on his iPad (and so do we). You can buy it individually or subscribe to the whole Kevin Keller series.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Mar 2, 2012 12:17:32 PM

14. How do I get the Million Moms to boycott my bank account?

Posted by: Michaelandfred | Mar 2, 2012 12:29:13 PM

15. I'm glad I got my copy! Purchased at a Houston area Kroger grocery store.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Mar 2, 2012 12:47:24 PM

16. "TAKE THAT"!, One Thousand Moms.

Posted by: Reppin2 | Mar 2, 2012 12:54:37 PM

17. Hooray! I've been VERY impressed with how Archie Comics has handled Kevin as a character since his introduction. Nice to see him be so successful!

Posted by: RBHSOregon | Mar 2, 2012 1:08:03 PM

18. Yay. I love Archie comics. They're like comfort food at this point. Too bad for the "million scums". I do realize that "scums" is not a word, but it sounds appropriate.

Posted by: Hal | Mar 2, 2012 2:21:33 PM

19. I got mine & subscribe to the hard copy. It's a very interesting concept (alternate realities) and they tackle some very adult issues... in a nice way of course. Just got my 1st issue of the Kevin Keller series

Posted by: Married in MA | Mar 2, 2012 2:38:05 PM

20. Go Archie. Screw the Hater Moms.

Posted by: antb | Mar 2, 2012 3:07:13 PM

21. ...i have been an avid fan of the Archies since my juniors years and who'd think this was an issue that would be a topic one day, :)

Posted by: jason | Mar 2, 2012 3:45:53 PM

22. THANKS ONE MILLION MOMS!! Once again, your bulls**t translates to mucho publicity!! We couldn't have done it without you!!

Posted by: Ealan14 | Mar 2, 2012 7:40:27 PM

23. I very HIGHLY suggest everyone to pick up the Volume 1 Archie: The Married Life trade paperback collecting the first six issues of the Life With Archie series. It's surprisingly good, even if you're not a fan of the regular Archie universe. Adult themes. A superbly executed piece of storytelling. Would be a great show of support as well.

Posted by: Dane Hill | Mar 3, 2012 12:32:32 AM

24. @OSGuy

does this site allow you to provide a link? You already know my daughters are Kindle readers and comic lovers.

@Gregoire

Aquaman??? No offense, but what can he do on dry land? I've never understood him or Submariner having their own comics.

No comic will take an existing character and turn them gay, but you can and should lobby for a new character (that doesn't suck) to be a gay hero. I don't know whether or not all the cool superpowers have been used up or...what, but the few gay superheroes that exist are all kinda...like scraping the bottom of the superpower barrel.

Maybe the Mighty Thor can have a gay cousin or there can be a new billionaire crime fighter can be gay?

Posted by: Rin | Mar 3, 2012 11:11:17 AM

25. First the Ellen debacle, now this.
    I'm starting to suspect that however-many-moms is really just a bunch of gay marketing executives pulling a massive reverse psychology trick on the masses.

Posted by: Snownova | Mar 3, 2012 11:11:36 AM