Brett Easton Ellis | Bullying | Dharun Ravi | News | Tyler Clementi

Bret Easton Ellis Blasts Dharun Ravi 'Witch Hunt', Blames Parents

Ellis

Bret Easton Ellis chimes in on the Dharun Ravi trial:

"Dharun Ravi might be a jerk but if a jury convicts him because Tyler Clementi killed himself then the US justice system is seriously f**ked...If Tyler Clementi had not killed himself we would have never heard of Dharun Ravi. This is a witch hunt pure and simple and it sickens me...Bullying=Suicide? Personally I blame the parents and an entire culture that indulges a childproof world where pain and losing doesn't exist....I was bullied. It was awful. But I learned a lot. I learned how to cope. It taught me things: people are cruel, the world sucks. I grew up."

The jury deliberated for four hours today and will begin again on Thursday morning.

Earlier...
Jury Deliberations Begin in the Case of Tyler Clementi's Roommate, Dharun Ravi: VIDEO [tr]

Comments

1. I still think the Ravi-cam caught Tyler uploading his "contribution" to a live action wank web site. The embarrassment drove T.C. over the top. His involvement w such a site was detailed in the most early Towleroad postings.

Posted by: mike flower | Mar 15, 2012 12:02:22 AM

2. I'm shocked at how terrible people are on here. Have some compassion. Read The New Yorker article on this whole scenario. Then think about yourself as a teenager and the stupid things you did. I hope Ravi gets off for these crimes, but I hope that he learns from it and becomes a better person. He still has a chance to become better than a lot of you folks who are so overcome with rage, bitterness, and misplaced anger that you would want to lock someone up in a terrible prison system and destroy his life because of terrible choices he made that had dire consequences. It's no wonder we have such a sad criminal justice system if it is expected to express the collective feelings of society.

Posted by: Dan4444 | Mar 15, 2012 12:03:03 AM

3. First off, how have people not heard of Bret Easton Ellis? Have none of you been to a library in your life? Apparently not...

Second, he has a point. If I set up a camera on my roommate, which is definitely invasion of privacy, then I would expect to be reprimanded. Now, if said roommate starts making out with another dude, how is it MY fault that he kills himself? That's absolute lunacy. This guy's life is ruined now because some stranger decided to end his life. If anyone's to blame, it's society, particularly American society, which clearly made Tyler feel as though being gay is wrong. Perhaps if homosexuality was embraced more then he wouldn't have offed himself. People are just always looking for a scapegoat.

Posted by: Lucas | Mar 15, 2012 12:41:28 AM

4. A homophobic society is the real root cause of this tragedy, and so many others. Being homosexual is not a problem but living in a homophobic society is, especially if the homophobia becomes internalized. Very sad, but I think Bret Easton Ellis is just saying that some are stronger than others in dealing with it.

BTW, Bret also wrote Less Than Zero, a long time ago, very gay. I don't know how anyone who read his books could have thought him straight. He is (or, at least, was) a brilliant writer.

Posted by: No kidding | Mar 15, 2012 12:50:56 AM

5. Thank you, Ray, for some thoughtful comments. I think Ravi's actions were wrong, but I don't think they amount to bias intimidation. I think this case cheapens the charge. What happened was terrible. Ravi behaved poorly and may have broken the law by invading Tyler's privacy, but I don't think it amounts to bias intimidation as intended by the law. The jury will decide, of course.

Posted by: aaron | Mar 15, 2012 2:03:30 AM

6. Bret Easton Ellis. Which one was that again?

I'm waiting to hear what Judith Krantz thinks about the whole thing.

Posted by: Mark | Mar 15, 2012 2:25:32 AM

7. No, it is not a witch hunt. It is justice being applied to a person who stalked, tortured and humiliated his weaker victim into taking his own life. Dharun Ravi is much more than a "jerk". He is that little psycho that sits in a corner and tears the wings off of flies.

Posted by: Bill Michael | Mar 15, 2012 2:43:35 AM

8. "If I set up a camera on my roommate, which is definitely invasion of privacy, then I would expect to be reprimanded. Now, if said roommate starts making out with another dude, how is it MY fault that he kills himself? "

Duh, because other people view what you filmed, without that person's permission, and what you filmed is not for the general public, and because the nature of what you are posting is hyper-volatile due to its nature, and because the embarrassment caused due to your actions reasonably precipitated overwhelming embarrassment and shame upon the victim of you perpetration.

LUCAS, you soulless, self-centered piece of excrement, I hope we never meet. I'd vomit all over you.

Posted by: TJ | Mar 15, 2012 2:50:25 AM

9. Regardless of the gay nature of the trial, a sane jury will still convict him of invasion of privacy and tampering with evidence/lying to authorities and he will be deported because of that. With felony charges, he would be banned from US soil.

I still think he will be found not guilty of the "big change" of bias intimidation. Sadly, Tyler's homophobic parents sealed that charge.

Posted by: Sam | Mar 15, 2012 2:51:30 AM

10. Who?

Posted by: Randy | Mar 15, 2012 3:17:46 AM

11. Bret Easton Ellis spent a lot of ink in his writing career pretending that gay people don't exist--or that the ones who do are deserve to be victims. His is one of the most malign, shrouded homophobias I can think of.

Posted by: Daniel Berry, NYC | Mar 15, 2012 6:46:53 AM

12. Tha book of Ellis' about the modeling world absolutely pretends that most models - men and women - are straight. The few gay people he portrays connected with that world are disgusting slimes. What a fraud--and with serious issues to be worked out. Reminds me of Woody Allen, who, similarly, pretends there are no gay people in show business. And the gay people he portrays are disgusting cartoon-esque stereotypes. Both of them deserve to have their eyes blackened.

Posted by: Daniel Berry, NYC | Mar 15, 2012 6:52:52 AM

13. I agree with Rico that Ravi is a jerk--but he's the kind of jerk one typically finds by the score among late-adolescents in America. His actions were those of a privileged little smart-ass who doesn't trouble himself to think his actions through. Meanwhile his tweets reveal that he was back and forth between being okay with a gay roommate and being unsure about it and looking for feedback from his peers to see if it's really okay. He was in a social setting that was ultimately going to teach him that it - and he - were gonna be fine. Unfortunately, that lesson didn't reach Ravi in time to save Tyler's life.

Posted by: Daniel Berry, NYC | Mar 15, 2012 7:00:13 AM

14. Mr Ehrenstein, I didn't know that about Ellis but I'm not surprised: his writing amply demonstrates a deep distaste for gay people. Well - now he justly gets to live in the head of one.

Posted by: Daniel Berry, NYC | Mar 15, 2012 7:02:45 AM

15. How is bias intimidation defined?

Posted by: rick scatorum | Mar 15, 2012 7:43:16 AM

16. Who is he and who cares what he thinks.

Posted by: Allen | Mar 15, 2012 7:50:17 AM

17. He's just bitter because the twinks don't pay him any attention anymore.

Posted by: Dave | Mar 15, 2012 8:01:58 AM

18. @TomJck: "...(the jacket was yellow). Anyone know of this book?"

Cliff's Notes?

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Mar 15, 2012 8:12:32 AM

19. It's interesting that folks here feel the need to discredit/disavow Ellis' career simply because they don't like what he has to say. Regardless of your OPINION about him, Ellis was one of the most important contemporary writers of the 1980s who sold millions of copies of his books -- more than one of which was made into a movie. He's hardly a nobody or obscure and suggesting as such merely suggests the commentator's own myopic ignorance. Ellis has repeatedly suggested that the the anti-bullying movement dominating LGBT discourse may in fact cultivate an atmosphere of weakness and victim-hood. I say he has a very strong point. As Ellis once note -- it doesn't necessarily "get better" -- people simply get stronger. I could not agree more.

Posted by: david kaufman | Mar 15, 2012 8:31:20 AM

20. Bill Michael gets it.

Bret's comments on Ravi suggest he found himself looking into a mirror. As a writer he's not without talent, but as a carbon-based life form he;s a thoroughly nasty piece of work.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Mar 15, 2012 8:39:39 AM

21. No one should comment on this case without going back and reading the New Yorker's amazing account of what actually happened, complete with relevant emails and texts. (it was published about a month ago). This case is far more subtle and complicated than the media (and some vocal gay advocates) made it out to be.

Posted by: don | Mar 15, 2012 9:03:46 AM

22. "In Awe" by Scott Heim had a yellow cover, IIRC...

And Matthew Rettenmund -- BEE may have had a movie made out of his crappy novel, but you had a movie made out of yours too, and the movie of your book is far superior! :-)

Posted by: JSH | Mar 15, 2012 9:04:40 AM

23. pretty much explains how Ellis was able to write "American Psycho" with his comments, that was made into one of the most hideous movies ever made.

why would Ellis even be making comments on this? i wonder how personally this touches him? an exposes nerve? a new book, perhaps?

Posted by: mike/ | Mar 15, 2012 9:21:47 AM

24. If Mr. Ellis would shut up and write something good for once in his life perhaps he wouldn't have to tweet such inflammatory garbage just to get attention. He's a third-rate writer and probably always will be. Oh, and a bitter queen besides.

Posted by: Jack M | Mar 15, 2012 9:30:26 AM

25. Yeh, Matthew Rettenmund's movie plays at 4AM on Logo. Yes, Logo. One of the four movies made from BEE's novels was directed by the Academy Award-winning screenwriter of Pulp Fiction.

Sorry, I can't help but laugh at the author of Encyclopedia Madonnica calling Bret Easton Ellis "terrible." Seriously, Cheerios coming out my nose. Ellis is a fantastic writer with a unique point of view who doesn't churn out the same call-boy novel that every gay hack has written.

He may be a curmudgeonly jerk (like many brilliant authors), but Ellis's caustic tweets don't diminish his contributions to literature.

Posted by: Get Real | Mar 15, 2012 9:39:37 AM