Brett Easton Ellis | Bullying | Dharun Ravi | News | Tyler Clementi

BigGayDeal.com

Bret Easton Ellis Blasts Dharun Ravi 'Witch Hunt', Blames Parents

Ellis

Bret Easton Ellis chimes in on the Dharun Ravi trial:

"Dharun Ravi might be a jerk but if a jury convicts him because Tyler Clementi killed himself then the US justice system is seriously f**ked...If Tyler Clementi had not killed himself we would have never heard of Dharun Ravi. This is a witch hunt pure and simple and it sickens me...Bullying=Suicide? Personally I blame the parents and an entire culture that indulges a childproof world where pain and losing doesn't exist....I was bullied. It was awful. But I learned a lot. I learned how to cope. It taught me things: people are cruel, the world sucks. I grew up."

The jury deliberated for four hours today and will begin again on Thursday morning.

Earlier...
Jury Deliberations Begin in the Case of Tyler Clementi's Roommate, Dharun Ravi: VIDEO [tr]

Comments

1. Bret Easton Ellis is someone's favorite author?!? Less Than Zero was a seminal book of the 80s and American Psycho was a very interesting book, but ive got fifty people I'd call a favorite author before him.

Posted by: DrJWL | Mar 15, 2012 9:48:48 AM

2. Hate to burst your bubble, DrJWL (OMG OMG, are you a doctor?), but Snooki's book was ghost-written. You can't call her a favorite author.

Posted by: endo | Mar 15, 2012 10:11:08 AM

3. dear bret, things have changed drastically since the decades before when you were a "young" person.

you, yourself, were a grown-@ss adult Closet Case until very recently. What would you have done had the internet been around when you in your post-adolescent "who am i?" phase and a sexual liaison with another male was broadcast to your schoolmates on the as-yet-imaginary internet?

yeah. didn't think so. so shut up.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 15, 2012 10:16:16 AM

4. And why should we give s--t about what this no-talent has-been thinks?

Posted by: Jay | Mar 15, 2012 10:47:54 AM

5. Get Real | Mar 15, 2012 9:39:37 AM

Ouch.

"I, too, am surprised a largely gay or 100% gay group of commenters isn't 100% informed of who he is, but then again, he's never been a judge on RuPaul's show...YET!"

Zzzzzzzz. C'mon, "American Psycho" was released 21 years ago, "Less Than Zero" 27 years ago, that's a millennium in pop culture terms; none of his other books since have had the same impact, he's a nostalgia act like Blondie is.

Just because he was popular when you were in your 20's doesn't mean that someone who's in their 20's now is required to know who he is. And the commenter who warned about book snobs is right. I read voraciously, I have 6 books waiting to be read on my nightstand, but I don't read fiction, I read history and biographies.

"There are lots of things I think everyone must know then I realize I'm older than I thought, etc."

It has nothing to do with your age. News flash for Matthew Rettemund: we don't all live in your pop culture soaked world, we don't all live in the (212). Jeebus, how easy it would be to be a snob because people like you don't listen to modern classical music or watch uber-obscure Polish avant-garde movies or whatever, but that's just as lame.

Posted by: Henry Holland | Mar 15, 2012 10:53:49 AM

6. ...."every gay hack"?

Edmund White. Armistead Maupin. Ethan Mordden. Andrew Holleran. E. Lynn Harris. Gore Vidal.

Ellis? Ellis writes miserable vanity-snark novels for the "i wish i was actually straight" dude that lives in some people.

Ellis writes as a man who desperately fantasizes about the straight world. It's kinda sad, in an "Ayn Rand was a good storyteller, shame she doesn't understand her own theories" kind of way.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 15, 2012 10:58:50 AM

7. Yes, Kiwi, Ellis belongs on that list of great gay writers... no matter how much you want to hate on him personally because he doesn't live up to your ideal of the
    proud gay man in lockstep with the gay status-quo.

And to be certain, Holleran has written 1 fantastic novel (I've read it 4 times now, it's probably my favorite book ever), and nothing else he's published has come close. Ellis has written at least 3 classics.

Posted by: endo | Mar 15, 2012 11:21:09 AM

8. i have no desire to hate him based on any "gay lockstep".

i was responding to some commenter's assertion that Ellis' writing is different/better than "every other gay hack writer" and then something about callboys.

That's why I listed the authors I listed.

nothing to do with any so-called "ideal of the proud gay man in lockstep with the gay status-quo".

some of us, believe it or not, simply find Ellis' writing trite.
    i'm not saying he's without talent, i just don't tend to enjoy what he does.
    i'll take Mordden any day. I've read every single thing that genius has put out.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 15, 2012 11:35:29 AM

9. It is a witch hunt and Ravi is being railroaded for political reasons. He' probably guilty of relatively minor technical violations of various laws, but we all know he's really being tried for bullying, which many assume caused Tyler to kill himself. I think that's highly doubtful, IMO Tyler killed himself for other reasons, that had little to nothing to do with Ravi or the webcam incident. Why can't some people deal with this?

Ravi appears to be a D-bag, but that still doesn't make it OK to railroad him with the criminal justice system.

Posted by: ratbastard | Mar 15, 2012 12:46:13 PM

10. According gto Gabriel Zaid, author of "So Many Books", a good general book store carrying 30,000 titles still stocks only one percent of all the books available . . . the point is why are people here incredulous that not every one here knows who Bret Easton Ellis here is?

Even if I confined myself solely to the reading of gay literature, or gay authors, he still might not appear in my literary celestial skies.

I am certain I could name authors of a more memorable caliber than Mr. Ellis, not merely good writers, but writers whose work have and will continue to stand the test of time, and there would be people who have not heard of them.

There are far better writers than Mr. Ellis in the literary skies that go undetected, even by voracious readers, so do not try to shame us that we are unaware of a mediocre writer, or that our first introduction to him is due to some provocative twittering reported here, on Towleroad, which most likely boasts a far greater readership than Mr. Ellis.

And if that shocks you literary giants, then here is one more shocker: I am meeting people all the time who have not even heard of Towleroad. Think of that! If not for Towleraod, I (and others) may have remained blissfully ignorant of Mr. Ellis's existence the rest of my life.

So what? Am I supposed to return my Masters degree in literature, or shred my Gay card?

LOL . . . whatever!

Posted by: Ricco | Mar 15, 2012 1:43:57 PM

11. There's nothing "relatively minor or technical" about invasion of privacy.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Mar 15, 2012 2:21:01 PM

12. I agree with David Kaufman.

People here are claiming that Ellis is somehow homophobic and that in his writings he says that models are all heterosexual and that's not true, and they've clearly never read anything he wrote. In Ellis' writings he frequently does have gay and bisexual characters.

Posted by: Jordan | Mar 15, 2012 2:42:34 PM

13. Gore Vidal is apparently bisexual and not gay.

The rest of the writers: Edmund White. Armistead Maupin. Ethan Mordden. Andrew Holleran, and E. Lynn Harris.

Are all boring, not talented, and washed up. I enjoyed Holleran's very early writings but that was before he started writing about AIDS nonstop and stopped writing anything else. Edmund White is the definition of a troll and he's HIV+ and into barebacking, and a completely boring writer. He's also completely warped from having incest with pretty much everyone in his family.

Posted by: James | Mar 15, 2012 2:49:56 PM

14. Matthew Rettemund's writings are homophobic, and offensive to gay men and he gives all gay men and GLBT people a bad name.

Posted by: David | Mar 15, 2012 2:55:54 PM

15. Why don't people educate themselves on a case before making comments/tweeting etc. instead of appearing like idiots?

From what I've read, the jury weren't allowed to know that Clementi killed himself and Ravi was NOT being tried for murder. The invasion of Clementi's privacy was a serious, calculated set of events. Why should it go unpunished?

As for Elli's dislike for the "It Gets Better" campaign because he says one often only gets stronger - how would getting stronger not be getting better? Ugh. Any writer should be able to make the connection. This guy has fallen but he can't shut up.

Posted by: Tonic | Mar 15, 2012 3:51:55 PM

16. I've, personally, never understood the criticisms of the It Gets Better campaign.

ANYONE can make a video. literally. ANYONE.

if you feel a message isn't being given, MAKE A VIDEO.

nobody is stopping you from making a video wherein you show or explain exactly HOW one can make their own life better, and indeed help better the lives of others.

Perhaps some people only searched for "famous celebs" videos. That's odd - there are thousands made by your everyday average joes and janes, LGBT people and non-gay allies who made videos that gave specific hope and direction.

what's to complain about?

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 15, 2012 4:03:04 PM

17. Let's also not forget that Dan Savage has been a bigot for decades and a total hypocrite. He's still biphobic, racist, and transphobic in 2012, and he completely supported the 2nd Iraq war!

Posted by: Seattlequeer | Mar 15, 2012 6:10:51 PM

18. Those of us in Seattle and other areas of the Pacific Northwest know that Dan Savage is an opportunistic parasite who will not hesitate to throw you under the bus if you don’t fit into his vision of right wing Log-cabin-lite politics. The It Gets Better campaign does nothing to empower queer youth. In fact, we are seeing a whole generation of LGBT kids make these videos and then kill themselves, while Dan Savage tells them to pull themselves to up by their bootstraps and he profits off the dead by hawking his self-help books. what we need is action and strategy, a battle plan to help LGBT kids survive, and deal directly with the homophobes (for example, how to file a complaint and lawsuit against your school district) and not snake oil charms like the It Gets Better media sham.

Dan Savage only started the it gets better project not to actually help LGBT youth all while practicing his right wing bigotry and hypocrisy of being transphobic, biphobic, and racist; but to self promote and get a reality TV show on MTV.

LGBT youth are not watching the it gets better videos and we've seen LGBT youth who actually made videos who kill themselves.

Posted by: Seattlequeer | Mar 15, 2012 8:46:08 PM

19. Bret Easton Ellis, you should know better... your comments are seriously stupid and show your age. Maybe that's how it was for you back in the stone age, but today, we expect more from others. Just because you came screaming out of your cramped closet doesn't mean it's everyone else's experience. You're just one person- less than that if you're counting IQ. If anything you should have respect for Tyler, his family and their loss. You are a loser jerk, so sorry I ever read your crap books. No talent hack. I lament.

Posted by: sd92103ca | Mar 16, 2012 8:45:54 PM

20. Bret has the balls to say what is true. This case is clearly wrapped up in some kind of collective gay catharsis and we should recognize that. We should not excessively punish this boy, who I'm sure has already suffered enough, for his foolish and immature behavior. Put the pitchforks down.

Posted by: Dylan | Mar 19, 2012 5:36:36 PM

21. Put the pitchforks down y'all.

Posted by: Dylan | Mar 19, 2012 5:38:35 PM

22. If Clementi had not killed himself we would have never heard of Ravi and if your parents had not gotten together we would have never heard of you. Sh*t happens, take responsibility and deal with it.

Posted by: Gabriel Russo | May 3, 2012 12:20:10 PM