Canada | Justin Bieber | Music Video

BigGayDeal.com

Canadian Pop Music Is Gay

Jepsen
Thanks to Gawker for this week alerting non-Canadians and non-tweens to the existence of Carly Rae Jepsen. Jepsen, a 26-year-old Canadian pop star, has allegedly created an honest-to-goodness perfect pop song which has been slowly impressing itself upon young American eardrums since the Biebs recorded a video of himself dancing to it early this year.

The song's called "Call Me Maybe," and honestly, it's not perfect. It's not even very good. But the accompanying video ends with an endearing gay twist that would've been impossible to imagine popping up in a similar piece of bouncy pop trifle even only a decade ago, and that, at least, is awesome. Watch AFTER THE JUMP ...

Comments

1. The impression I got from the video was the typical passive misandry that passes for gay rights..All good looking straight guys are gay??

No wonder she couldn't get him..the guys gay crap....the Goddess herd never liked gays...or straight guys who don't notice them...no empowerment for gays here...

Posted by: Alan Brickman | Mar 10, 2012 12:37:56 PM

2. @atomic . . . thanks for the links.

Posted by: Continuum | Mar 10, 2012 1:01:26 PM

3. This song is great...it wouldn't be at the top of the charts if it weren't

Posted by: Jmac | Mar 10, 2012 1:01:36 PM

4. Um... aside from the absurd "real band with real drummer and guitar player" doing the Air-Band to a song that uses nothing but cheesy keyboard sounds and a drum machine, that ending isn't cute, it's vaguely homophobic.

The guitar player who gets the number looks horrified to get it and the female pop sing whose name I'm not going to remember looks annoyed.

and yeah, ignore the troll. But in case anyone is worried, a real man doesn't blame his inability to come out on anyone but his own spineless self.

Posted by: Jasun | Mar 10, 2012 1:08:48 PM

5. @Marc C ... Troll? lol... More likely Little Kiwi doing a Rick impersonation.

@Jasun ... Well, of course she's annoyed. Her crush bats for the other team. The guitar player looked stunned to be hit upon. Not sure where you get "horrified" from it.

BKT, gotta disagree with you. I think this is a well-written, catchy pop song and deserves its chart status. Carly Rae Jepsen finished 3rd on the 5th (and second last) season of Canadian Idol. For reference, Theo Tams won season 6.

Posted by: RJ | Mar 10, 2012 1:31:43 PM

6. To add to the others recommendations, Cazwell is a bisexual rapper. I'm not a huge fan of rap, but 'Get My Money Back' is pretty good.

Posted by: lessthan | Mar 10, 2012 1:40:45 PM

7. I'm not that fem queen LittleKiwi. I'm Rick and I'm really masculine and butch and you can tell because I said so.

This video is about men who love feminist divas and that's why this country still has anti-gay bigots, because you diva-lovers haven't realized that if you just live like me, which is to be Closeted and then post anonymous hateful things about divas on a gay website, then you actually make real change happen.

because the real hard work is about anonymously posting things against blacks, women, and femmes on a gay website.

Posted by: Rick | Mar 10, 2012 1:41:56 PM

8. You're all stupid and wrong. And I can prove it. It's a proven FACT that all the wimpy loser gays listen to gay pop divas and all the Out, Masculine Butch Empowered Gay Males don't listen to them.

that's a fact. hating diva-music means that you are more confident in being a man and are more Out. if you listen to gaga or madonna then you worship women, and then you hate being a man, and that's why all the gay guys that listen to madonna and lady gaga are still complely Closeted.

Posted by: Rick | Mar 10, 2012 1:47:59 PM

9. the hot guy is a gay model in Vancouver named Holden Nowell. Now you know

Posted by: Stephen | Mar 10, 2012 1:48:30 PM

10. RJ - The troll stuff is a little too obvious for L. KIWI don't you think? But then he's left no trail of subtlety anywhere else, nor Rick for that matter. Good speculaion though, could be. Still, the Real Rick does it better and daily misses the opportunity to tell how KIWI's own father is too scared of his son to give him the hard smacking he's always needed. Both trolls in their own way.

Posted by: uffda | Mar 10, 2012 1:49:00 PM

11. ATOMIC :

yeah, I've been following Jay Brannan for years......he has been an excellent example of a regular achiever.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Mar 10, 2012 1:54:04 PM

12. RJ - OK you're right. It's all KIWI - same tired sh*t.

Posted by: uffda | Mar 10, 2012 1:54:10 PM

13. And RJ - I'm speaking from experience. My dad smacked me a lot when I was younger and that's why I know that a good hard smacking is the best way to ensure that gay people don't get too loud and out. If L.KIWI's father had hit him the way my dad always hit me maybe he'd be more like me and spend more time commenting online instead of interacting with actual gay people in the real world.

Posted by: UFFDA | Mar 10, 2012 1:55:10 PM

14. The video and song are very sweet, not my cup of tea, but cute.

What happened to the music posts we used to get on this site? There is a lot happening in the gay music world. Tegan and Sara are documenting the making of their new album for Rolling Stone, Sam Sparro just released a new single, Adam Lambert also is releasing new music. Rufus has a new album out. This year also promises a new music from Gossip, Scissor Sisters, and GaGa. It's going to be such a great year for Queer music, I'd love to see it talked about on Towleroad.

Posted by: Thomas | Mar 10, 2012 1:56:47 PM

15. PS :

saw Matt abler in P'town last year. Great !

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Mar 10, 2012 1:57:30 PM

16. Yes. Because the real measure of a man is whether or not he wakes with a start, night after night, in a cold sweat, tormented by the recurring nightmare of having been eaten by a giant, carnivorous vagina.

Posted by: FFS | Mar 10, 2012 2:02:14 PM

17. @PHOENIXJUSTICE re: "Where are the openly gay performers with gay themed music videos?"

Check out Matt Fishel - openly gay, gay-themed lyrics, gay-themed videos. Enjoy!

The First Time (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_6BelLZDgk&feature=channel_video_title)
    Football Song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QrT-suhA6o&feature=relmfu)

Posted by: BADBONDE | Mar 10, 2012 2:15:07 PM

18. I love this song and video. Trivia note: Carly Rae Jepsen finished 3rd on Season 5 of Canadian Idol.

Posted by: MikeMB | Mar 10, 2012 2:31:47 PM

19. anyone curious who the guy is? his name is holden nowell. I've met him a couple times. He is a model and a really, really nice guy. And canadian too! Google him.

Posted by: sberg | Mar 10, 2012 3:08:00 PM

20. HAPPY to see music posted on this site again!! What happened to the music posts?! He is gorgeous... body like that takes commitment

Posted by: Patrick | Mar 10, 2012 4:42:55 PM

21. This is too fun. Now L.KIWI is attempting to mock the Real UFFDA (me) in his clumsey, ham-fisted way.

Sweetie you just badly need to get a life. Go to the saintly David Kuria in Kenya (readers, look him up from last week), fall in love with him and help him in his important work supporting equality for Africans. He needs you. We don't. Unless you want to continue in your life as a one-dimensional entertainer of limited skills. Your real skills and energy need a larger field of operation, that could be Africa. Return then, in time, and tell us your story. You will be able to count on many of us to help with donations, time, support, and yes, even love, about which you will learn a great deal. Go.

Posted by: uffda | Mar 10, 2012 4:44:12 PM

22. OMG, wow, this guy mowing the lawn went to my gym here on Saltspring Island this summer/fall. About 6'2 and a gorgeous man.
    Not sure if he grew up here on the island or visiting. Hope he visits the gym again soon! Being orginally from Los Angeles, there is a whole new world here as far as music, and acceptance goes!

Posted by: jason | Mar 10, 2012 4:53:28 PM

23. I am so sick of "endearing gay twists". I want to see openly gay and bisexual male artists having number 1 hits. Is this too much to ask?

I am sick and tired of women only being allowed to do this sort of thing. It's a double standard in the music industry, one which towleroad has failed to really go after.

Posted by: jason | Mar 10, 2012 5:22:55 PM

24. Ricky: one masculine gay man out and proud here... next point?

Jason: heard of Adam Lambert? Elton John?

Posted by: Perkin Warbeck | Mar 10, 2012 6:48:57 PM

25. I actually think this is a GREAT pop song and can see some serious dance mix potential. I've had this on my mp3 player for a week now, thanks to the Justin Bieber & company home video posted on E!. Then I checked out the video and fell in love, tattoos and all. :O)

Posted by: MattS | Mar 10, 2012 7:21:51 PM