Bullying | Carson Daly | News

BigGayDeal.com

Carson Daly Now Even More Sorry For Mocking Gay People

6a00d8341c730253ef0168e95becf7970c-200wiCarson Daly is offering some more contrition for his homophobic rant yesterday.

The radio and television host found himself under fire after saying that gay people would have been incapable of subduing the Jet Blue pilot who lost it mid-flight this week, because of course we're all weakling weenies.

Soon after, Daly tweeted a quick apology, writing, "I attempted to make fun of myself & offended others by mistake. I sincerely apologize."

Now, after having an old-fashioned sitdown with GLAAD, Daly has more to say:

We live in a time where gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender individuals find courage every day to overcome adversity, stand up to bullying and find equality. I'm truly saddened that my words today suggested otherwise. I've long been a supporter of gay, lesbian, and transgender rights, and I'm saddened that my comments, however unintentional, offended anyone, specifically members of the LGBT community.

The fact that I have hurt anyone is devastating. I'm not that guy. I'm proud to be an ally of the LGBT community and will continue to fight with them.

So, do you forgive and forget, reader? Or were you just not that offended, because, you know, it's Carson Daly? Does the size of the star or their platform amplify an offensive comment, or is all discrimination equal?

Comments

1. I know Carson isn't anti-gay, but that doesn't mean I'm going to willy-nilly forget what he said. He WAY crossed the line big time.

I have to say I am similarly tired of people making offensive statements, gay-related and otherwise, and then apologizing after the fact, saying they didn't mean to offend and that it "isn't them". If it isn't them, if that's now what they are about, using anti-gay slurs and making homophobic statements, then what are they about? Actions are louder than words. That's what these celebs, news folk, athletes, etc. just don't get. They do and say the WORST things and then think an apology alone will wash things clean, and it just doesn't.

Regarding this case, I'm both very offended and very disappointed, as well as quite confused, still. Offended because Carson's words are a SPIT IN THE FACE of MILLIONS of LGBTQ heroes in the world, past and present, who have stood up heroically for themselves and others, in the face of horrible circumstances, sexuality-related or not. Disappointed because Mr. Daly, given the crowd he runs in being filled to the brim with gays, didn't/doesn't know better than to say something like this. That he didn't think before he was speaking and didn't have the foresight to see his comments would be offensive to many. And that something like this would even be something he would consider funny.

I'm confused because Carson I truly don't think is homophobic and I truly don't think Carson said what he said from a position of homophobia. It came off badly homophobic, but from listening to the video, I think he was trying to use stereotypical cliches as a way to create laughs. I don't think his intent or mentality was anti-gay, unlike a Colin Clark, for instance. But........that's sort of the problem. It's the ignorance. It's the fact someone like Carson obviously doesn't get it. And someone like him shouldn't be that BLIND. So on that, I can't give him a pass. His ignorance isn't excusable. But with that said, I'm willing to forgive (not forget) if I see Carson is truly contrite and truly does his part to repair the damage caused in this case. I want to see him bring up MARK BINGHAM as a means to highlight his entire failed-joke has been actually proven false in reality. I want him to talk about real-life gay heroism and the fact LGBTQ citizens are strong individuals and heroic in our own ways for dealing with a largely anti-gay, ignorant society. Words are not enough, I want to see action, and I think Mr. Daly will come through.

Posted by: Francis | Mar 29, 2012 8:54:14 AM

2. This guy's sincere. Forgive and forget.

Posted by: uffda | Mar 29, 2012 8:54:54 AM

3. When will the rudeness and belittling of minorities end? Personally, I'm tired of being insulted. Playing on stereotypes is not only stupid and indicates lack of intellect and talent, it is a lazy comedians ticket to a cheap laugh. Will it ever end?

Posted by: Bob R | Mar 29, 2012 8:56:24 AM

4. Move on folks! He apologized and we need to be big enough to accept his words of contrition.

He has always been on our side and we need to let this rest.

Posted by: Louis | Mar 29, 2012 8:57:02 AM

5. I thought it was funny. It's the kind of joke I would make to my gay or straight friends. I also know that historically it has been those effeminate "flaming queens" who have fought the loudest and the hardest, which, to me, makes the joke even funnier.

Posted by: rayrayj | Mar 29, 2012 9:04:22 AM

6. It's a good apology. We have to be big enough to accept a genuine apology when it's given. There is dignity in rising above pettiness and spitefulness.

Posted by: DanSwon | Mar 29, 2012 9:07:38 AM

7. In response to those saying "everybody says stupid things once in a while" that is true, but how many people say them on the radio, on television, when reporters are present or tweet their stupid comments to millions of followers? And where in his apology did he say anything about his stupidly reinforcing a negative stereotype? And I don't mean the stereotype about gay men all being "florists" but that "florists" are weakling cowards who wouldn't lift a finger...tell that to the drag queens at Stonewall. Tell that to THIS queen who was once surrounded by a group of punks in Italy, knocked to the ground and was being kicked in the head but managed to get up, grab one of the pricks by his hair and the seat of his pants and ram his head into a wrought iron fence, at which point they all scattered. They attacked me because they had this mistaken idea that I was a weak victim who would not fight back.
    Stupid comments that perpetuate negative stereotypes not only disrespect the memory of Mark Bingham but every man serving in the military putting his life on the line for people like Carson Daley.

Posted by: Paul of Tilling | Mar 29, 2012 9:14:33 AM

8. Similar jokes like Carson's have been made by friends and certain celebrity's, but in those cases they're funny because we know they're not entrenched in actual homophobia. When people like Kathy Griffin or Margaret Cho make those kind of jokes, it's okay because we KNOW they're an ally. Their actions and words have proven them to be someone who truly supports and loves the LGBT community. It's friendly ribbing and their use of the absurdity of stereotypes allows us to laugh with them.

But with Carson, I don't know his intentions. He's never been really showcased as an ally (to the best of my knowledge), so when he says jokes about gays it comes across very bigoted and mean-spirited - like he's trying to play it cool with the guys by putting another group down.

I'll, be honest, I've never liked Carson Daly and his comments have no relevance for me. BUT, he has a huge platform and is easily recognized by lots of people. So what he says has the potential to reach a large audience for both good and ill. He needs to understand that and (while people seem to be sick of it) working with GLAAD can at least call attention to that same audience by saying it is NOT acceptable to make homophobic remarks. Whether or not Carson himself actually believes it, at least the message gets out there.

Posted by: shibby | Mar 29, 2012 9:33:36 AM

9. Collectively, comments like this perpetuate a stereotype. Why would he even go there to begin with? Because he's heard similar comments in the past that made it "okay" to repeat this sort of thing. If you think what Carson Daily said was okay, then you may be a victim of your own self-loathing.

Posted by: Todd | Mar 29, 2012 9:35:05 AM

10. I just HATE it when celebrities (or the vaguely famous persons, as the case may be here) get into damage control mode after the inner homophobe in them comes out. Who buys it?!?

Posted by: stingo | Mar 29, 2012 9:50:06 AM

11. Everybody says stupid things once in a while???? REALLY, REALLY ????

Those of you who are excusing this with everyone says stupid things once in a while will please now provide some examples of celebrities or sports figures who have recently spouted off stupid racist comments.

Posted by: Tim NC | Mar 29, 2012 10:05:26 AM

12. I am willing to accept his apology(ies) as sincere, and will hold him to his words from here out. IMO he has raised his bar for his future posture in this regard.

Posted by: acorlando | Mar 29, 2012 10:41:23 AM

13. He mad a joke. He played on a stereotype. He said he was sorry. Move on. He said in the joke that these people are his people or peers. He was making fun of himself as well. Move on.

Posted by: Rodger | Mar 29, 2012 11:04:12 AM

14. Until people are not bullied/beaten/killed for being gay/black/female, then there is no place for anyone with a platform that can reach millions to perpetuate stereotypes that can bring harm to those maligned. Apologies are not enough. They are just words. Actions speak louder. Where is his show that talks about injustices towards those he just maligned? Where are his actions that help bring awareness to injustices in our community?

For those of you quick to forgive him, spend a day outside of your bubble and you will see how words like his are taken seriously by those more than willing to oppress us.

Posted by: Tim | Mar 29, 2012 11:32:57 AM

15. I'm not offended by what he said. I don't think he's homophobic. He just made a cheap, bad joke trying to get a laugh and said some unfortunate stuff. To me it was a stupid lapse in judgment. There are others out there who purposely say hateful, divisive and untrue things about the LGBT community. We should save our ire for them and not make mountains out of molehills. That just makes us look petty and diminishes somewhat our complaints about those who really deserve our outrage. However, he does deserve to hear just how stupid it is what he said, but I'm thinking we should just let it go with that. Apology accepted!

Posted by: Gary A | Mar 29, 2012 11:41:48 AM

16. We all have made jokes that we regret saying after they come out of our mouths. He thought he was being funny and it kinda was and it kinda wasn't. I don't blame the guy.

Posted by: Greg | Mar 29, 2012 11:42:46 AM

17. He needs to get some more work done on his face

Posted by: NHbrooklyn | Mar 29, 2012 12:14:18 PM

18. "I'd say 99% of us have all said things we regret or didn't mean."

True. But 99% of us don't have a radio show, in addition to appearing weekly on a TV show. I should think someone who has access to so many ears would be more careful about what gets heard.

I truly do not understand those of you who don't find the telling of such a "joke" offensive, or who minimize Carson's responsibility.

Someday, someday, we may be able to "get over ourselves" because we will have undisputed, equal standing in our communities. We can be the slob eating a sloppy Carl's Jr hamburger and say, "So?" because it won't affect our power and standing in the community.

But as long as bigots spew hate and hiss "fagg*t" and tell us to go ahead and kill ourselves when they aren't personally wielding the baseball bat, this sort of joke is unacceptable. It, and Carson, richly deserve to be called out.

Posted by: TJ | Mar 29, 2012 12:38:42 PM

19. Carson Daly is a tool, has always been a tool, and will always be a tool. Nuff said.

Posted by: Marco P | Mar 29, 2012 12:38:49 PM

20. The veneer of acceptance is thin. Supporters or not, they all have an imprisoned Gay joke screaming to be free.

Posted by: Socal | Mar 29, 2012 12:40:09 PM

21. "Yeah, with my luck, I'd be on a plane full of lazy colored welfare queens who'd wait for the government to do the work for them."

Still funny? Still not offensive?

Posted by: TJ | Mar 29, 2012 12:44:53 PM

22. "Yeah, with my luck, I'd be on a plane of whiny Jews with big noses demanding refunds."

Hardy har har.

Posted by: TJ | Mar 29, 2012 12:47:07 PM

23. This is a non issue. I like how people are pretending to be offended, but if this was a scene from Eating Out 7: The search for curly's gold, it would just be another gay joke.

Taking the joke to a place where only abusive or bigoted people would take it is effing stupid. Bigots are symptom of a much larger problem and you don't really have to check with them at all times. They hate you 100% for no reason anyway, so don't in any way pander to them.

An important part of the it gets better project is the message that you make it better. By growing up and being halfway intelligent, you repel toxic situations and people and favor supporting ones, and then it's better.

So when someone derides you in a joke, joke back. Be confident that you know the difference between hate and stupidity, between accidents and intent.

If you think Carson Daly is a bigot then you are frightening, your ability to access a situation is almost nil, I would recommend growing up.

Posted by: Fenrox | Mar 29, 2012 12:54:13 PM

24. So, FENROX, it's okay for Carson to pander to bigots?

So, we take your suggestion and discern between accident and intent. Great! We are no longer offended!

Would that those who heard this joke and said "Yes! That's funny! I wouldn't want to be on a plane full of fags either!" had the same skills and desire for discernment.

Posted by: TJ | Mar 29, 2012 1:03:52 PM

25. There are (2) types of Homophobia: ACTIVE (Westboro UnAmericans) and PASSIVE (Carson Daly), and I think they should be treated differently. Both should be stopped, but I don't think it benefits us if we attack someone who makes a gay joke without thinking, versus a Tracy Morgan gay joke which was specifically written into his act.

We shouldn't use a machine gun to kill a roach, especially if their response is quick and sincere. Just a thought. :)

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Mar 29, 2012 1:46:25 PM